PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift Question

08M3Sedanski
04-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Is $8500 for a Shorestation, 120", 4000 lb with 24 foot canopy a fair price? The Shorestation is being described as the "Mastercraft" of boat lifts, is this true? This will be for my new X2 being delivered next week.

davidstan
04-19-2012, 05:18 PM
My X2 sits in a 4400# Hydro Hoist and no problems. Over 8 grand sounds like a lot to me. I paid 4200.00 for the HH 7 yrs ago and today goes for i think 5500.00. FYI my HH does not have a canopy it is attached to a covered dock so it may not be apples to apples.

jamisonsbrodie
04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
They are really nice and last forever. I have the same lift, but in a 108" width and it is rock solid. Does the price include a direct drive electric motor? The price seems high from what I have been quoted recently for the same lift without/motor. WHere are you located?

call this place if you want another quote in MN. Best pricing that I'm aware of.

http://servadock.com/

zamboniman
04-19-2012, 06:13 PM
They always appear cheaper but once you get the whole picture with odds and ends you'd want you end up at about 8k or so. Talking guideons motor canopy... at that price I'd go with a floe model. May as well.

I just went through this exercise .. decided to piece together myself and am saving a bundle. Went craftlander on lift and working towards sun chaser for canopy. The craftlander is very well built and more easily serviceable. Mostly bolt together like floe. And doesn't need to be disassembled to service like shore station and is cheaper aby a lot. Sun chaser has a nice tower canopy option that they are very accommodating to customize if you call.

waterbug
04-19-2012, 07:20 PM
That sounds like the righe price. I had the same lift, i liked it. I now have a Pier Pleasure. I like it much better... The crank raises the boat much faster, and the canopy is much nicer. It protects the boat from the elements much better when the wind picks up. I upgraded to the SeaMark material over the vinyl. I've had this one for 3 year. So impressed with it that I bought a 3000 lb. cantilever Pier Pleasure for the fishing boat the next year. Here's a pic from the other day. It's a little out of place, I re-configured my dock and changed a few things....

barefoot
04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Can't speak to the price, but my folks have 120'' ShoreStation with a 22' canopy. I don't know if it's the same model you're looking at, but it has the newer bungie style tie downs for the canopy. Really nice setup...makes putting on the canopy easy. As for lifting, I always judge the ease of lift by the number of breaks one takes before the boat is fully lifted. I don't take any breaks, which is to say it's geared perfectly.

I have a 110'' ShoreStation with the older style spring canopy that I bought used for $2,500. I upgraded the cables to Stainless Steal a few years back. I think I'm about maxed for weight with my boat. It takes a lot of effort to get the boat tucked away after a day on the water...

I'm familiar with ShoreStation and we've always had one in our family. I can't speak to other brands, but than again, I bought mine based on the reputation and never looked back.

08M3Sedanski
04-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Lars
04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Does the 8k include the motor? is there a remote?

08M3Sedanski
04-19-2012, 08:14 PM
They want another $1000 for the motor. I don't know about a remote. I found they same model... three years old for almost half price. Any thoughts on going that direction? I like the idea of buying from the dealer and knowing they will stand behind everything and keep me happy. After buying a MC I don't want to try to skimp on the lift and regret it.

zamboniman
04-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Motor should be about 600 +- if wireless key fob should be about 900

Barefooter92
04-20-2012, 08:37 AM
I have a SS4108 which is a 4,000# narrow lift with canopy. Paid 1/5th of that price but it is used. I then installed the 120v motor with key fob remote. Still only $2,300

TN X-45
04-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Make sure to post that boat in the flake thread. Pretty!!!

jamisonsbrodie
04-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Motor should be about 600 +- if wireless key fob should be about 900

This would be the price for the motor that attaches to the stock cranking wheel. A direct drive unit is $1000.

jamisonsbrodie
04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
They want another $1000 for the motor. I don't know about a remote. I found they same model... three years old for almost half price. Any thoughts on going that direction? I like the idea of buying from the dealer and knowing they will stand behind everything and keep me happy. After buying a MC I don't want to try to skimp on the lift and regret it.

A 3 year old Shorestation is just as good as a new one IMO, assuming it has the newer style bunks(plastic covered aluminum vs carpet over wood), however considering that you are buying a brand new MC, maybe you want a new lift to go with it. I do think you can do a lot better on the price though. Nice boat btw, and where are you located?

Ben
04-20-2012, 12:00 PM
I would definitely go used. $8K seems insane to me, but I don't buy many things new. I bought a used 3000 lb SS (no canopy) with motor (not SS motor, more like a winch motor, but works fine) for $750 2 years ago. I had to put on new bunks, but was a good deal.

As long as the aluminum / welds are not cracked, the structure is good. Cables probably need replaced every 10+ years.

The "wearable" part is the canopy cover. If you are looking at one that is 3 years old and in good shape, I would asy after 1 year of use, there would be no difference in a 1 y/o lift and a 4 y/o lift.

Just do a very thorough look over of the cables to make sure they are not frayed, or have been rubbing on anything (low probablity).

SS is more or less the premium brand in my area of michigan.

For that money, even if you had to completely re cable it in a few years, you'd still be way ahead. There is likely a dock / hoist guy in your area that will do that stuff much cheaper than a dealer and still stand behind his work.

zamboniman
04-20-2012, 01:18 PM
This would be the price for the motor that attaches to the stock cranking wheel. A direct drive unit is $1000.

Nope should be able to source a direct drive at those prices even full retail. Perhaps not something shore station branded.