PDA

View Full Version : Noob question- using a 'real' surfboard?

gweaver
04-19-2012, 04:23 PM
So I've never wake-surfed before. I'm actually a new boat owner (88 Prostar). I live in CA and I've got the requisite surfboard, an 8' mini longboard. Any thoughts on why that wouldn't work as a starter wakesurf board? The only thing I can think of would be that the board's too long to sit in the curl, but having never even tried, I have no idea. Of course, it might even be a moot point with my boat. :confused:
G

Jeff d
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I surf on a "real" Rocky surfboard that came with my boat. Seems ok but I don't surf much

gweaver
04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I figure that since I have a surfboard, it's just another fun thing to do with the boat. I managed to pick up a wakeboard and skis cheap on craigslist, but I've exhausted my toy money for quite some time.

Jeff d
04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
The worst thing about my real surf board is that it doesn't fit in a regular wakeboard rack like most of the wake specific surf boards do. It's also not very durable compared to a wake specific board so it gets banged up worse.

aarosurf
04-19-2012, 11:56 PM
If anything the curl wouldn't need to be as large if the board is an 8 foot longboard, you just have to make sure you're standing with your weight positioned properly on the board.

curtish
04-20-2012, 02:03 AM
We use one. Surfs super easy. We can even use it without any extra ballast. Biggest problem is storing it in the boat when not in use. Where are you in NorCal?

gweaver
04-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Guess I'll have to bring the board with me when we get the boat up to the lakes.

Curtish- I'm in Petaluma- about 40 minutes north of SF. Don't really know the lakes around here very well. Hoping to explore a few this summer. We've been to Pillsbury for the last few years, but this will be the first summer with the boat. Also going over to the delta to go for a cruise with the family we bought the boat from in early May.

You local to me? Always looking for someone to talk boats and bikes with. :)

Greg

bailey78
04-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Sorry gonna be mean!! Prostar 190 does not need a Tower???? What A shame if you do????

gweaver
04-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Thankfully, I don't have a tower- when I bought it, the boat came with a Skylon pole. It'll stay that way too. :)
G

curtish
04-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Guess I'll have to bring the board with me when we get the boat up to the lakes.

Curtish- I'm in Petaluma- about 40 minutes north of SF. Don't really know the lakes around here very well. Hoping to explore a few this summer. We've been to Pillsbury for the last few years, but this will be the first summer with the boat. Also going over to the delta to go for a cruise with the family we bought the boat from in early May.

You local to me? Always looking for someone to talk boats and bikes with. :)

Greg

I'm in "Far" NorCal. Come check out Shasta this summer. Gonna be epic, especially early in the year.