PDA

View Full Version : 2004 X-Star

justinlkgb
04-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Looking for any input on those who have one or have been in one. I have an opportunity to get into one of those"dream boats". Not sure about the 1st year model with the pickle fork.
How do they drive? My wife needs to be able to pull me boarding, and currently I use just 1 or2 buddies that drive for me. its been this way for the last 5 years, so she has no experience. Perfect Pass will be a huge edition.

Are there any issues taking water over the bow, especially if you were coming back to pick up a fallen rider?

Is this boat surfable?

Coming from my 91 Maristar I have to think just about anything will be a HUGE improvement.

Also have a couple of girls 1.5Yr and 3.5yr so I need the space to grow, which I believe this boat could provide.

Any testiments to the longevity?

Thanks

Justin

jason95gt
04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
There is an issue with the rudder, so make sure it has be changed to the new style along with checking the gull wing seats in the front for tears.

You have to watch the front as it does sit lower than just about any other boat in the line up but just takes some getting used to.

You can surf the X-Star but it isn't the easiest. The wake is very touchy for surfing. One day it will be amazing and then very hard to duplicate.

If you are around Madison, WI our dealership (Redline) has driving clinics for women.

justinlkgb
04-19-2012, 12:41 PM
How to clinincs...your kidding me!! LOL

I can imagine the water over the front is an issue, can get past that though. Any pics of wake by chance???

What was the issue with the rudder?

jason95gt
04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
We have typically two clinics a year for women and when someone buys a boat from us, we do a comprehensive, usually 2-4 hours, on water delivery.

The rudder should be replaced with, I believe, the 06 to newer rudder. The boat just doesn't track true or drive as good as it could.

justinlkgb
04-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Very informative information, any Idea what this upgrade costs? could use as leverage if needed.

Thanks!!!

mlawler34
04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
I was quoted around $1,100 from my dealer to have the rudder upgraded on my new to me 2004 X-Star. Looks like an upgrade for next year for myself.

cpr05xtr
04-19-2012, 06:15 PM
the rudder is just a larger one from a newer boat am I correct what are the dimensions of the upgraded one?

jason95gt
04-19-2012, 06:58 PM
It has a different shape to it also. A more rounded bottom I do believe.

Heelgrad
04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Good luck with the new boat. You'll love it! Why not just splurge on a new 2013 X Star...;););)

rgardjr1
04-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Pretty sure you can see some pictures in this thread of the replacement "upgraded" rudder.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25227&highlight=rudder+upgrade

Jerseydave
04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
I changed out the rudder on my '05 xstar right away when I got it....big improvement!

It's not a tough job to do yourself.....just pay for the rudder and install it yourself....it should not be more than $200-300 I would think.

Just a couple changes from '04 to '05:

Throttle by wire instead of throttle cable
JL speakers instead of Clarion
Swivel board racks instead of stationary

What is the price of the '04?

Oh, BTW if the prop that's on there is a 13.7 X 17 behind the MCX engine you're going to want a different prop. That prop is ok with the 8.1 but not good with the MCX.

Regarding taking water over the bow, it will! You have to cross wakes at an angle at idle speed. Also if you use extra ballast in the rear like I do, when you stop you have to turn at the same time or else a wall of water will come over the sunpad. Sometimes it's fun to soak the newbies though!

justinlkgb
04-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Good luck with the new boat. You'll love it! Why not just splurge on a new 2013 X Star...;););)

With any luck this will happen....someday:D

So.Cal_X-Star
04-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Just recently picked up a 2004 X-Star from a family friend at a great price. Like mentioned after research I replaced the rudder and steering cable right away, wow what a HUGE difference. Coming from a 05 Tige 24v which was a great boat, but to big and heavy I must say the X-star handles like a dream. I have had little issues come up, but with 280hrs on the LQ9 she is running strong and I look forward to having this until the opportunity presents itself to afford a new one later down the road. Good luck with the purchase if you can swoop it for under 40k and is in good condition you have my vote. While on subject any recommendations "jerseydave" for a better prop for the 04 with LQ9 ?

justinlkgb
04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
right now i believe she is priced to sell and it appears the party selling has really taken care of it. Pricing would be under the 40 mark so I think its fair. Of course if I could negotiate it down due to the rudder replacement that would be nice, however that becomes more difficult with each passing day as we get closer to "prime" season, at least up here...ey

Knowing a new prop and rudder could make a world of difference, might not be too bad.

justinlkgb
04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
I changed out the rudder on my '05 xstar right away when I got it....big improvement!

It's not a tough job to do yourself.....just pay for the rudder and install it yourself....it should not be more than $200-300 I would think.

Just a couple changes from '04 to '05:

Throttle by wire instead of throttle cable
JL speakers instead of Clarion
Swivel board racks instead of stationary

What is the price of the '04?

Oh, BTW if the prop that's on there is a 13.7 X 17 behind the MCX engine you're going to want a different prop. That prop is ok with the 8.1 but not good with the MCX.

Regarding taking water over the bow, it will! You have to cross wakes at an angle at idle speed. Also if you use extra ballast in the rear like I do, when you stop you have to turn at the same time or else a wall of water will come over the sunpad. Sometimes it's fun to soak the newbies though!

What is the difference in throttle by wire vs. throttle cable? Does this still have perfect pass?
I can totally live with the speaker and board rack difference.

right now the maristar i have is older and is prone to much of the same problems, without the swamping though, but this kind of seems like more common sense to not pull the throttle back to center and wait...though I can think of a few times where I would intend for it to happen;) and it would be HILARIOUS:D

This does have the MCX and what I gathered the stock prop.

justinlkgb
04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Pretty sure you can see some pictures in this thread of the replacement "upgraded" rudder.
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2522

??Smoking Monkey??? I've been off this board too long8p

rgardjr1
04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
??Smoking Monkey??? I've been off this board too long8p

Not sure where that link came from, but here is the correct one:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25227&highlight=rudder+upgrade

justinlkgb
04-20-2012, 02:44 PM
So I am really looking hard at this X-star, but how well does this surf, or are we talking strictly wakeboarding only with this? I have seen where guys say its tough to produce a decent wave, but I'm coming out of a 1991 Maristar, I have to assume anything is better?
Thoughts?

bcboy
04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Its not the best but it is easy enough to surf...just google wakesurfing x-star and you will get all the info needed...the x-star is an amazing and roomy boat with lots of storage...it is after all the Pride of the fleet...although the 25 and 45 are special :-)...OK i like them all :-)

Jerseydave
04-20-2012, 11:01 PM
What is the difference in throttle by wire vs. throttle cable? Does this still have perfect pass?
I can totally live with the speaker and board rack difference.

right now the maristar i have is older and is prone to much of the same problems, without the swamping though, but this kind of seems like more common sense to not pull the throttle back to center and wait...though I can think of a few times where I would intend for it to happen;) and it would be HILARIOUS:D

This does have the MCX and what I gathered the stock prop.

Throttle-by-wire is full electronic....no throttle cable therefore no cable problems. I think perfect pass may work better with it, but my old '03 Maristar had PP and a throttle cable that I had no problems with. Stargazer holds speed the best however.

I run an OJ 14.75 X 15.5 and it works best for me. Over 2000# of total ballast and it still pulls great, plus empty I can barefoot at 40 mph without hitting the rev limiter.
I also have an OJ 14.25 X 14.5 that I have used during our Keith Lyman clinics because of the extra people in the boat (11) but for everyday use it's just too much prop IMHO.

An '04 X-star that has been well taken care of is a nice buy @ 40K.

Jerseydave
04-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh and I can surf mine all day long....just be aware it's a shorter wave than some boats have. I've surfed a Tige 24V and the surf wave is too tall for me, more like a wall that wants to knock you off your board.

justinlkgb
04-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks JerseyDave, I'm headed to check this out on Monday.

skishack90
04-21-2012, 11:29 AM
The 2004 X-Star is a great boat. I have pretty much the same boat, and yes these boats are built for the long haul. Mastercrafts really last forever. Speaking of hauling, I load mine with about 3800 lbs and the wake is great. I have had no problems with either of my boats and both have way over 500 hours. Even the stereo's are still in great shape, although I never use it. Keep in mind, I service them regularly and run them at least twice a week. Keep the boat running and it wont stop running. If you let them sit, that's when you start to get problems. If you are going to weight your boat, get a good prop. Either the new OJ 5 blade or an Acme 14.5x14.25. I run the Acme and love it.

For surfing, I'll drain my rear starboard ballast, fill a 450lb bag on the port side, keep the bow loaded and the surf wake is good. If you want a longer more mellow wake, keep some weight in the nose. If you want a short and tall wake, weight your stern a little more and take a little weight out of the bow. Also, whenever I surf, I keep all of my stock tanks full. It keeps the boat "grounded" in the water if that makes sense. I surf in between 11-12 mph. It is not the best surf boat but definitely a fun wave for surfing and a perfect wake for boarding.

As for having your significant other drive... I taught my Fiancee how to drive about two years ago as I really do not have any "riding buddies". She learned how to drive the prostar first and then learned how to drive the x-star. I taught her how to drive each and explained the how each would feel. She now drives both with complete ease and she was driving both boats extremely well after a few sets behind each. I am very picky about the way someone drives when I ride, and the only driver that I know who drives better than her is Travis Moye. She now likes driving the loaded X-star more than the Prostar, go figure. I think women make wonderful boat drivers because they are much more prone to be careful and concentrate on the task at hand. The few times that I have let friends drive my boat never ended well. The idiots can't keep a straight path and when one of them does a power turn, that is it, no more driving for that person. One thing I ask... please teach her to not power turn. Women tend to not like power turns anyway as they can feel like the boat is going to flip. SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST BOAT DRIVES I HAVE EVER HAD...and I have gone to some pretty damn good wake schools. Hope this helps.

justinlkgb
04-21-2012, 03:41 PM
The 2004 X-Star is a great boat. I have pretty much the same boat, and yes these boats are built for the long haul. Mastercrafts really last forever. Speaking of hauling, I load mine with about 3800 lbs and the wake is great. I have had no problems with either of my boats and both have way over 500 hours. Even the stereo's are still in great shape, although I never use it. Keep in mind, I service them regularly and run them at least twice a week. Keep the boat running and it wont stop running. If you let them sit, that's when you start to get problems. If you are going to weight your boat, get a good prop. Either the new OJ 5 blade or an Acme 14.5x14.25. I run the Acme and love it.

For surfing, I'll drain my rear starboard ballast, fill a 450lb bag on the port side, keep the bow loaded and the surf wake is good. If you want a longer more mellow wake, keep some weight in the nose. If you want a short and tall wake, weight your stern a little more and take a little weight out of the bow. Also, whenever I surf, I keep all of my stock tanks full. It keeps the boat "grounded" in the water if that makes sense. I surf in between 11-12 mph. It is not the best surf boat but definitely a fun wave for surfing and a perfect wake for boarding.

As for having your significant other drive... I taught my Fiancee how to drive about two years ago as I really do not have any "riding buddies". She learned how to drive the prostar first and then learned how to drive the x-star. I taught her how to drive each and explained the how each would feel. She now drives both with complete ease and she was driving both boats extremely well after a few sets behind each. I am very picky about the way someone drives when I ride, and the only driver that I know who drives better than her is Travis Moye. She now likes driving the loaded X-star more than the Prostar, go figure. I think women make wonderful boat drivers because they are much more prone to be careful and concentrate on the task at hand. The few times that I have let friends drive my boat never ended well. The idiots can't keep a straight path and when one of them does a power turn, that is it, no more driving for that person. One thing I ask... please teach her to not power turn. Women tend to not like power turns anyway as they can feel like the boat is going to flip. SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST BOAT DRIVES I HAVE EVER HAD...and I have gone to some pretty damn good wake schools. Hope this helps.

Holy Cow...what a write up, ,thanks for taking the time. very informative...but seriously she was watching you type, wasn't she?:worthy: Just kidding, you actuallty have hit it right on. the few times she has driven have been really good, but just the speed kept changing. I just smiled and did what I could and had fun. the Dudes try to look cool more than driving proper, except for the select few.
I currently use a cantilever lift setup at the lake and use it 4-5 times per week minimum...hey , would a 4800lb lift be enough for an X-star?

skishack90
04-21-2012, 05:10 PM
If you are having problems with keeping the speed, you need to go into the perfect pass settings and change your KdW and/or NN settings. The more weight you put in the boat, the higher the KdW number, to a certain point. I am assuming you have "Wakeboard Pro" Perfect Pass, or at least something very similar? I'll explain a little more below...

For example, some days when I work on new tricks I take some weight out of the boat and put the KdW setting on 190 because the boat is lighter. When I have the ballast totally full, I run my KdW number at 220-225. There have been times when I put the KdW up to 240 and the perfect pass did not hold. You have to fine tune it with each boat, and your numbers will vary from mine due to prop and weight differences, among countless other factors. Even the positioning or placement of ballast in the boat can affect this, not just total weight.

KDW is technically "throttle pull rate"...and it controls how aggressive the pull will be. Not only does it affect how well the speed holds, but if you ride enough, riders can feel a difference as well. Just play with it and you will find the right number for you.

NN has to do with how much water you allow the paddle wheel to filter. Higher the number, the more filtering. If your boat is surging, bump up the NN by 20 or 30 units at a time.

There is also the CS or "control setting" but I rarely mess with this number. This affects how soon or late you want the perfect pass to engage. I do not have the number of mine off the top of my head because I am running the prostar today. I believe I have it set at 730 on the X-Star, but that could be totally wrong.

I will check all my numbers for you when I run the X-Star, hopefully tomorrow, weather permitting. If not tomorrow, I will write it down next time I ride. Right now I am on a slalom kick because I just got a new Radar Vice and mmmm that ski kicks ***. It's like a strada, but can handle chop. Great ski!

PM me if you have any questions and best of luck with finding the right numbers for your boat. I hope you have a perfect pass manual, but if not, I can locate one of mine and copy/email it to you. If you are still having problems after playing with those numbers, you may have grass in your paddle wheel. Haha. It takes time but you will get it right. I would say it took about 30 hours of boat time to get the perfect pass "exactly" how I like it. Good things come with patience...

Happy Boating

skishack90
04-21-2012, 05:13 PM
A 4800 lb hoist rating will do the trick for an X-Star. Just make sure you empty ALL of your ballast before you put it on the lift, even if your lift is meant to support 30K lbs, these boats are not meant to sit on a hoist with weight in them. If you need bunk measurements I can help you with that as well.

justinlkgb
04-21-2012, 05:55 PM
thanks ski shack, i don't own it yet, but if all checks out and i like the test drive I will.

At which time i would definetly take you up on the bunk placement help.

justinlkgb
04-22-2012, 02:43 PM
I now have an additional concern previously overlooked...How is the Xstar at pulling any kind of beginers? My little girl has been riding the ski trainer for a year now,(will be 4 in Aug), at some point I can see her making the transition into skis,wakeboard and the dreaded tube. Along with our youngest and friends kids too. What is to be expected? I have an opportunity at another choice, but its not a Mastercraft:(
Can't be that bad without ballast...right?

CumberlandXstar
04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
It is not the best boat for pulling beginers because it is a large heavy boat, but on the other hand it will still be 100 times better than in I/O because you can control the speed so much better with an inboard. When I pull beginers I ussually start them out on my Boston Whaler and then up to the X-star with as little of weight as possible.

scharette
04-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Great write up for the perfect pass!
i also just purchased a new RADAR. A Senate-C with two vector boot.
now i will have tough choice when we get some glass on the lake. Wakeboard or Ski..

If you are having problems with keeping the speed, you need to go into the perfect pass settings and change your KdW and/or NN settings. The more weight you put in the boat, the higher the KdW number, to a certain point. I am assuming you have "Wakeboard Pro" Perfect Pass, or at least something very similar? I'll explain a little more below...

For example, some days when I work on new tricks I take some weight out of the boat and put the KdW setting on 190 because the boat is lighter. When I have the ballast totally full, I run my KdW number at 220-225. There have been times when I put the KdW up to 240 and the perfect pass did not hold. You have to fine tune it with each boat, and your numbers will vary from mine due to prop and weight differences, among countless other factors. Even the positioning or placement of ballast in the boat can affect this, not just total weight.

KDW is technically "throttle pull rate"...and it controls how aggressive the pull will be. Not only does it affect how well the speed holds, but if you ride enough, riders can feel a difference as well. Just play with it and you will find the right number for you.

NN has to do with how much water you allow the paddle wheel to filter. Higher the number, the more filtering. If your boat is surging, bump up the NN by 20 or 30 units at a time.

There is also the CS or "control setting" but I rarely mess with this number. This affects how soon or late you want the perfect pass to engage. I do not have the number of mine off the top of my head because I am running the prostar today. I believe I have it set at 730 on the X-Star, but that could be totally wrong.

I will check all my numbers for you when I run the X-Star, hopefully tomorrow, weather permitting. If not tomorrow, I will write it down next time I ride. Right now I am on a slalom kick because I just got a new Radar Vice and mmmm that ski kicks ***. It's like a strada, but can handle chop. Great ski!

PM me if you have any questions and best of luck with finding the right numbers for your boat. I hope you have a perfect pass manual, but if not, I can locate one of mine and copy/email it to you. If you are still having problems after playing with those numbers, you may have grass in your paddle wheel. Haha. It takes time but you will get it right. I would say it took about 30 hours of boat time to get the perfect pass "exactly" how I like it. Good things come with patience...

Happy Boating

mitchelmilitiapres
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
:toast::toast::toast: The idiots can't keep a straight path and when one of them does a power turn, that is it, no more driving for that person.

Hillarious!!!! Preach on brother. :toast:

We have to teach them one at a time, unfortunately.

justinlkgb
04-25-2012, 12:49 AM
:toast::toast::toast:

Hillarious!!!! Preach on brother. :toast:

We have to teach them one at a time, unfortunately.

Here!Here!!:toast::toast:

justinlkgb
05-04-2012, 11:03 PM
A 4800 lb hoist rating will do the trick for an X-Star. Just make sure you empty ALL of your ballast before you put it on the lift, even if your lift is meant to support 30K lbs, these boats are not meant to sit on a hoist with weight in them. If you need bunk measurements I can help you with that as well.
Any chance you can still provide measurements? In the process of buying the boat now. Can't wait to post the pics, but don't want to let the cat out too much more yet..seeing as I can't actually get the boat until next week:cry:.:)

ttu
05-07-2012, 07:54 PM
so did you end up getting the xstar. saw your post a while back on ww also.

justinlkgb
05-08-2012, 12:38 AM
so did you end up getting the xstar. saw your post a while back on ww also.

:DLeaving in the morning to go and get her...getting a bit teary eyed now just thinking about it:o Sold mine last week...
will post the pics on Thursday when I get home. :headbang:

Heelgrad
05-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Ok. I promised you guys that the boat does actually exist and yes it was in the water when I took my factory tour. Sorry that I was so far away but I couldn't get down to the dock. Looks like this production one does in fact have the ZFT-4 tower as mentioned earlier based on the speaker cans. Black hull with the orange interior. Enjoy...

Heelgrad
05-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Sorry. Posted in wrong thread. Congrats on the new boat!!

CantRepeat
05-08-2012, 07:29 AM
How to clinincs...your kidding me!! LOL

I can imagine the water over the front is an issue, can get past that though. Any pics of wake by chance???

What was the issue with the rudder?

If some has never operated or owned a bout then safety class or driving clinic is a great idea. I know there are some people on my lake that surely need one!!