PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seat rotten wood

Tom@Jupiter
04-19-2012, 11:12 AM
The wood in the rear seat my 95 205 finally rotted and the staples began pulling out. Anybody know what would be a good adhesive to reattach 1/4" marine plywood to the foam? I was thinking of using starboard but their website says that no adhesive will bond to starboard. Does anybody know if the original plywood in the rear seat was marine grade? It looks like it wasn't sealed. What do you think of sealing the wood?

lot of questions! I hope someone can help!

Thanks,
Tom

joniron1
04-19-2012, 11:46 AM
for my 89 prostar 190 i pulled apart treated lattice and cut the width of the strips down to the right size with a table saw and then gorrilla glued (I used bar clamps untill the glue set) the strips to the stryrofoam seat .It has held up 1 summer so far.

Jorski
04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
On my 1993...they used Luan Mahogany, which is really a cedar plywood product (despite the name).

It was marine grade and sealed, and it did last for 18 years. I have no complaints.

I used a similar grade of marine plywood purchased at a boat building supply shop. I coated the strips with epoxy, and attached it with Gorilla Glue, and clamps.

You won't find the correct wood at Home Depot or any regular lumber yard.

tph
04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
The wood in the rear seat my 95 205 finally rotted and the staples began pulling out. Anybody know what would be a good adhesive to reattach 1/4" marine plywood to the foam? I was thinking of using starboard but their website says that no adhesive will bond to starboard. Does anybody know if the original plywood in the rear seat was marine grade? It looks like it wasn't sealed. What do you think of sealing the wood?

lot of questions! I hope someone can help!

Thanks,
Tom

I found that epoxy worked well on mine. I didn't seal the wood but it sounds like a good idea.

orbeamlb
04-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I replaced all the rotten wood strips for my 88 PS 200 with the plastic lattice strips and trim stock from Lowes. Used 3M heavy duty spray adhesive and stainless staples. Worked out well and stiffened up the structure. Lightweight too

Tom@Jupiter
04-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone!