PDA

View Full Version : Question about posts being moved...

Heelgrad
04-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Why is it that threads like 'X-2 heater' and 'Looking for help what bimini top will fit my tower' get moved to other forums but one titled 'To Bimini or Not?' has made it 9 pages? I'm fairly new to this forum and understand why some of these threads need to be moved around but sometimes don't understand the consistency of how it's done and who's doing it. One could argue that every thread that someone puts up here could me moved to a sub forum. Once one of these threads gets moved the reality of someone getting an answer to what they're looking for goes down dramatically. I know that MC owns the boards and that they feed to their facebook page and I'm not trying to stir the pot just trying to figure out the logic behind some of this. Thanks in advance ;););)

swatguy
04-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Trust me its been mentioned on more than one occasion. It's harder than ever to find posts these days and whomever is doing the organization seems to be missing the mark.

Basically if you ask me it's to make their boards seem much busier as its all linked here and there and facbook this and RSS that. Times are a changing.

I would have to agree tho. Bimini questions and half the stuff being moved to the maintenance and refurbished section have nothing to do with maintenance or refurbing. If theyvwant to really update they need to reorganize subject lines too. Just my 02 , but I don't run the site. I just use it for my advantage, and to help others.

JLowder
04-18-2012, 11:24 PM
When CantRepeat isn't busy posting in dumbest waste of hard drive space thread on TT, "1" thread, he is arbitrarily just moving stuff around depending on how the wind is blowing that day. 8p

I too liked this board better before they started having 50 different sub forums. From what I understand MC links this to other websites like Facebook, because some "marketing genius" fresh out of college thinks it would be a good idea to market to people that won't be able to afford these boats for at least another 20 years. (No, I don't have a facebook account as if I wanted to keep contact with people from my past, I would call them. In my early 30's so save the old comments as well. Yes, Dick is my middle name.):D (Dick really is my middle name though.):D

CantRepeat
04-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Why is it that threads like 'X-2 heater' and 'Looking for help what bimini top will fit my tower' get moved to other forums but one titled 'To Bimini or Not?' has made it 9 pages? I'm fairly new to this forum and understand why some of these threads need to be moved around but sometimes don't understand the consistency of how it's done and who's doing it. One could argue that every thread that someone puts up here could me moved to a sub forum. Once one of these threads gets moved the reality of someone getting an answer to what they're looking for goes down dramatically. I know that MC owns the boards and that they feed to their facebook page and I'm not trying to stir the pot just trying to figure out the logic behind some of this. Thanks in advance ;););)

If every thread on here could be move to sub forum and if that OP would just post them in that sub forum it would make my life a lot easier.

Here is your answer.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45885

If it is a how to, a maintenance, upgrades, installation or anything that fits the bill for the other forums then it is going to get moved. The general MC threads was not meant to be a catch all for everything.

Finding a thread is difficult because users want to post "everything" in the general MC forum. If users would put more effort into post their stuff into a more specific sub category then searches would be more effective.

I'm to the point now that I know members know they should use the sub cats but choose not to do so even when told it is what MC has asked for.

I normally leave a link to the move so the OP can find his or her post.

In regards to how does a post get to 9 pages, easy... it was a necro from 2010 which is before the mods were given new instructions. It will too be moved when I get time.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2012, 11:34 PM
If every thread on here could be move to sub forum and if that OP would just post them in that sub forum it would make my life a lot easier.

Here is your answer.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45885

If it is a how to, a maintenance, upgrades, installation or anything that fits the bill for the other forums then it is going to get moved. The general MC threads was not meant to be a catch all for everything.

Finding a thread is difficult because users want to post "everything" in the general MC forum. If users would put more effort into post their stuff into a more specific sub category then searches would be more effective.

I'm to the point now that I know members know they should use the sub cats but choose not to do so even when told it is what MC has asked for.

I normally leave a link to the move so the OP can find his or her post.

In regards to how does a post get to 9 pages, easy... it was a necro from 2010 which is before the mods were given new instructions. It will too be moved when I get time.

^^^^^Funny how CantRepeat keeps repeating.:rolleyes: ^^^^^

CantRepeat
04-18-2012, 11:40 PM
^^^^^Funny how CantRepeat keeps repeating.:rolleyes: ^^^^^

Say it ain't so Peter!!! :(

Edit

Tarheelgrad, I am not singling you out. You're semi new to the forums and you have a legitimate question about how things operate on here. My reply is just a repeat of what has been instructed to the mods, as Peter has pointed out.

I'm just trying to do what has been requested as best I can and as transparent as I can without ruffling the feathers of the user base. It's just getting old at this point.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Say it ain't so Peter!!! :(

Hazard of the business. :confused:

CantRepeat
04-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Hazard of the business. :confused:

That's a 100 per page!!!! This is the hazard.... spend 3 hours a day banning spammers.

http://mikesell.net/images/spam1.jpg

JLowder
04-19-2012, 12:09 AM
That's a 100 per page!!!! This is the hazard.... spend 3 hours a day banning spammers.

http://mikesell.net/images/spam1.jpg

So dumb question. Short of them posting spam, how do you know they are spammers? (Thanks for banning spammers. This place would really suck if those guys ruled the forums like they do elsewhere.)

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 12:12 AM
http://network-tools.com/

reverse look up of IP address and sig spam. I catch most of them before they have the chance to post. Just watch the number of new members per day. 8 of 10 are spammers.

medicmoose
04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Yup, lots of spam out there!! 8p

east tx skier
04-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Looks like we have a few moderator volunteers. Good for you guys! I know the guys doing that job for free would be glad to have the help.

/was never so happy as the day I stopped being a moderator.

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Looks like we have a few moderator volunteers. Good for you guys! I know the guys doing that job for free would be glad to have the help.

/was never so happy as the day I stopped being a moderator.

Eastie, you know first hand. It has changed the way I view and use the sight. I don't get to browse and use the sight like I used to but I'm kind OCD when given a task. As much as some people may think otherwise, I'm just trying to do the job ask of me and help keep TT a place we all can enjoy.

Those little SOBs are worse then cockroaches!!

shepherd
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Hey CantRepeat, thanks for doing this thankless job.

(Well, I guess it's not thankless any more :rolleyes:)

DooSPX
04-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I would not want a mods job! I was a mod of a car forum in the tech drag racing subforum for a long time before I said eff it and quite the entire site.

east tx skier
04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Eastie, you know first hand. It has changed the way I view and use the sight. I don't get to browse and use the sight like I used to but I'm kind OCD when given a task. As much as some people may think otherwise, I'm just trying to do the job ask of me and help keep TT a place we all can enjoy.

Those little SOBs are worse then cockroaches!!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to discount what the OP is saying. He thinks there is a better way to organize things. He my be right.

But, on the other hand, when my wife empties the dishwasher, I don't complain about where she puts stuff. I'm just glad she pitched in. It may be that I have not tried to dig through topics in a specific forum to find something. If I want to look something up, I search for it. If I can't find it, I ask. If nobody knows, then maybe it's not there or it's gone. This could be a real issue for someone. But I can honestly say that I have never noticed that a single thread was moved from one folder to the another. And I'm on here a fair amount (some might say).

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 11:18 AM
I was talking about spammers, not the OP.

east tx skier
04-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I know. I just didn't want to seem like I was being too snarky and dismissive in my first post.

By the way, thanks for modding.

Now go empty the dishwasher! ;)

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I know. I just didn't want to seem like I was being too snarky and dismissive in my first post.

By the way, thanks for modding.

Now go empty the dishwasher! ;)

I'm all over it! lol