PDA

View Full Version : Speed at Idle

GMC190
04-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Last fall I purchased a new to me '87 prostar powerslot. When idling around picking up skiers docking ect.. the speed seems really fast for just an idle, like 10mph and rolling a wake. Is this normal for this boat or can something be adjusted?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Simple as a turn of the idle speed screw. Idle speed fully warmed up should be about 800 RPM in neutral and about 600 RPM in drive (in the lake, never put your boat in gear on the trailer).

Great looking boat. Where in the Midwest are you?

oxberger
04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Simple as a turn of the idle speed screw. Idle speed fully warmed up should be about 800 RPM in neutral and about 600 RPM in drive (in the lake, never put your boat in gear on the trailer).

Great looking boat. Where in the Midwest are you?

How are you supposed to get it off the trailer? And what about power loading?:D

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Thank you Captain Literal. :D You know my caution was to not put the boat in gear while running in the driveway.

GMC190
04-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Chicago area. When in gear engine rpms are in the 600- 650 range but the actual boat speed seems fast for just being at idle

Lumbergh
04-18-2012, 05:21 PM

I think this is what he was looking for...

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/captain-obvious.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Chicago area. When in gear engine rpms are in the 600- 650 range but the actual boat speed seems fast for just being at idle

You can set the idle speed as low as you like. You will reach a point where the engine won't idle well and want to stall around 500 - 550 RPM.

Is this your first inboard? They certainly have different characteristics from outboards and I/O's.

FrankSchwab
04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
If the engine's idling at the right speed, there ain't much to adjust. You'll just have to do like the rest of us, and bump into gear, and out of gear, and into gear, and out of gear, and.....

mikeg205
04-18-2012, 07:05 PM
HEy GMC ...where in Chicago...do you ever go down to the Illinois River or Des Plaines to boat?

I am always on the look out for other MC owners in the area.

ted shred
04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Take a screwdriver with you next time you go out. Once the motor is at operating temp and you are away from the dock and others, put it in forward gear and turn the idle speed screw until the tach reads 600 RPM.

Cloaked
04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
If the engine's idling at the right speed, there ain't much to adjust. You'll just have to do like the rest of us, and bump into gear, and out of gear, and into gear, and out of gear, and.....
This is the ticket, what Frank says. It's part of it.

Yes it's normal as to what the OPs original question....

ahhudgins
04-18-2012, 09:55 PM
This is the ticket, what Frank says. It's part of it.

Yes it's normal as to what the OPs original question....

Unless my wife is driving, then I just grab the rope and hold on as she goes by and hope she puts it into neutral. But I'm not complaining! :D

GMC190
04-19-2012, 12:14 AM
HEy GMC ...where in Chicago...do you ever go down to the Illinois River or Des Plaines to boat?

I am always on the look out for other MC owners in the area.

Thanks for the all the input. Looks like something I'll just have to get used to (having a smaller wake at speed than at idle :D)
We most of the time head to St. Charles on the Fox river but sometimes do make it down to Seneca, Morris and the Kankakee.

mig
04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Unless my wife is driving, then I just grab the rope and hold on as she goes by and hope she puts it into neutral. But I'm not complaining! :D

Don't care who you are that's funny - and right on. Any boat driving wife is a great driver. GMC190, did you you check prop size? We have used different props and they can sure make a difference at idle. I think the stock pitch for your slot should be 18".

GMC190
04-19-2012, 05:07 PM
The prop that came with the boat was a OJ 3 blade 14x18 I now have a OJ 4 blade Legend 14x18 on now. Havent really noticed low speed difference between the two props but hole shot made quite a change.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2012, 05:19 PM
The prop that came with the boat was a OJ 3 blade 14x18 I now have a OJ 4 blade Legend 14x18 on now. Havent really noticed low speed difference between the two props but hole shot made quite a change.

Cool picture:cool:

petermegan
04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Cool picture alright, but who the hell is holding up your boat. I don't see any straps. :)

TRBenj
04-20-2012, 09:54 AM
650rpm in gear is the proper idle speed Ive seen listed in many manuals. Go much lower and you may get damper knock. That usually equates to ~6mph (per the few ive gps'd), so if thats too fast for your taste, you need to bump it in and out of gear, as suggested.

By the way, you should only see ~50rpm drop when going from neutral to "in gear". If youre seeing 200rpm difference (someone suggested setting idle to 800 in neutral to get 600 in gear) then you have some SERIOUS misaligment issues.

mikeg205
04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the all the input. Looks like something I'll just have to get used to (having a smaller wake at speed than at idle :D)
We most of the time head to St. Charles on the Fox river but sometimes do make it down to Seneca, Morris and the Kankakee.

Hey let me know when you head down south....also would love to try up by St. Charles, but don't know the river well there...

DooSPX
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I too usually just bump in and out of gear....

east tx skier
04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Little tip. If you are coming into a no wake zone and want to go as slowly as possible, don't just bring the throttle back to idle. Instead, bring it to idle. Then, pop it into neutral for a moment, then reengage in idle. That was give you the slowest speed.