PDA

View Full Version : Which Optima Blue top battery?

Matt@semmergroup.com
04-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Figured I'd start the season with a new battery. Looking at the Optima blue top batteries, there are a few options. Don't know what's different about them. Maybe it's a physical size difference. Anyone have a recommendation?

Here are a couple I've found.
1) Starting Marine Battery 34M 8006-006 SC34M Boat 12V
2) Deep Cycle Marine Battery D31M 8052-161 SC31DM Boat Stereo

matt

Jeff d
04-18-2012, 03:26 PM
1 is optimized to deliver the most cranking amps for starting the engine but will likely not last if you run your electrical accessories off of it for extended periods while the engine isn't running. Those "deep cycles" of a starting battery will destroy it pretty quick.

2 is optimized to handle running your electrical accessories off of it for extended periods while the engine isn't running but won't deliver as much power to start your engine (May still be sufficient though).

How you use your boat will determine how to balance those two needs.

Ideally you'd have both with an isolator between them. This way you could run your accessories off of the deep cycle battery while hanging out without fear of depleting your starting battery. When you go to crank up the engine the isolator would automatically switch you to the starting battery. Then once you're cruising and the alternator is charging it will recombine the two batteries for charging.

If you don't usually run accessories off of the battery for extended periods a single "dual purpose" marine/RV battery may be sufficient. You don't get any redundancy or long runtimes (probably ~ 1 hr or so for an average stereo) but you do get a battery that does everything OK and it's obviously cheaper.

CantRepeat
04-18-2012, 03:32 PM
If you go duals, I would get two deep cycle as I have heard issues with dual batteries not being the same.

Jeff d
04-18-2012, 03:39 PM
If you go duals, I would get two deep cycle as I have heard issues with dual batteries not being the same.

If you put an isolator between them it should be ok though since one can't discharge into the other, right?

CantRepeat
04-18-2012, 03:58 PM
If you put an isolator between them it should be ok though since one can't discharge into the other, right?

So long as it isn't one of those switches that has "both" on it. It's what most of the MCs I've seen have.

willyt
04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Deep cycle batteries (or AGM batteries which ive seen people use) and normal lead-acid batteries will have a different native voltage, so if hooked in parallel they'll be constantly discharging into eachother which kills them pretty quickly. If I remember right the deep cycles have a higher native voltage, so if you have an unregulated amp it will supply more power to the speaker when sitting in a cove. This is why the isolator is critical.

I would also be hesitant to let your alternator charge up a deep cycle after sitting in a cove all day, that could put a lot of strain on it. If I drained a battery would probably throw it on the charger once she was out of the water.

Jeff d
04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
All/most deep cycle batteries aren't AGM though. I believe both the batteries he listed would be AGM.

Heelgrad
04-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Figured I'd start the season with a new battery. Looking at the Optima blue top batteries, there are a few options. Don't know what's different about them. Maybe it's a physical size difference. Anyone have a recommendation?

Here are a couple I've found.
1) Starting Marine Battery 34M 8006-006 SC34M Boat 12V
2) Deep Cycle Marine Battery D31M 8052-161 SC31DM Boat Stereo

matt

Go to Sears and get a Diehard PM-1. I use one on my bass boat and it runs everything on my boat (cranking, multiple electronics and livewells all day long without missing a beat). It weighs 75 pounds which is a bit much but more than worth the investment. It'll run circles around any Optima battery out there and at $250 costs about the same. Good luck with your decision.

bturner2
04-19-2012, 08:21 AM
"It'll run circles around any Optima battery" Now that's a bold statement.

There are always reasons to buy one product over another. Usage will determine what will provide overall performance. The Optimas will provide a spill proof package that will be lighter, smaller and provider better mounting options. I'm sure in a bass boat that is designed to mount large batteries the lead acid batteries are a good choice. And if you have the room and don't mind the packaging they still work great in our boats too. I went with the Optimas so I could minimized the footprint while providing solid performance. I've had a pair of the Blue Top deep cycles installed with billet battery trays that hold the battery down using the integrated mounting designed into the Optima battery. I used the Blue Seas "add a battery" kit to isolate the batteries and have used this set up for going on three seasons without any issues.

Can you find a larger heavier lead acid battery with better performance? Sure. But that's exactly what you'll get. Here's my set up..... Now let's see that big lead/acid battery installation.

Montemx
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
"It'll run circles around any Optima battery" Now that's a bold statement.

There are always reasons to buy one product over another. Usage will determine what will provide overall performance. The Optimas will provide a spill proof package that will be lighter, smaller and provider better mounting options. I'm sure in a bass boat that is designed to mount large batteries the lead acid batteries are a good choice. And if you have the room and don't mind the packaging they still work great in our boats too. I went with the Optimas so I could minimized the footprint while providing solid performance. I've had a pair of the Blue Top deep cycles installed with billet battery trays that hold the battery down using the integrated mounting designed into the Optima battery. I used the Blue Seas "add a battery" kit to isolate the batteries and have used this set up for going on three seasons without any issues.

Can you find a larger heavier lead acid battery with better performance? Sure. But that's exactly what you'll get. Here's my set up..... Now let's see that big lead/acid battery installation.

Love that set up!!! Could you please explain that set up, I would love to do something just like that. Thanks

cbryan70
05-02-2012, 12:52 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Advanced-Angler-AGM-Batteries/727395.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dagm%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=agm&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I would go with these. Best of both high CCA and High reserve

cbryan70
05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Usually can get shipping at like a buck if you look for promo codes

bturner2
05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Love that set up!!! Could you please explain that set up, I would love to do something just like that. Thanks

Here's the link to the write up I did on the installation.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29889

The Blue Seas "Add a Battery" kit is fairly straight forward with clear instructions. I thought making the custom cables was going to be challenging but after soldering the first couple and getting used to using the torch it really is easy. If you don't want to make cables yourself Genuinedealz will make them for you if you tell them what you want. Take a look at my first post. If you have any questions let me know.....

Thrall
05-13-2012, 04:23 AM
Don't get any Optima batteries. I was done w their crappy batteries and then bought another 2 yrs ago.
I had 3 red tops in my 190, 1 at a time. 2 yrs and dead, replaced under warranty ea ch time. Didn't matter if I maintIned them over the winter or not, still dead after 2 years .
Well the 4th one lasted more than 2 yrs in my Jeep so I bought a blue top for my X2.
2 yrs on it and dead this weekend, right on s hedule! Maintained 24/7/365 with a Prozports charger maintainer.
Never spending the money on one again.
It's not how I maintained it either since my 2nd battery is an odyssey, 4 yrs old now and still works.

CantRepeat
05-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Don't get any Optima batteries. I was done w their crappy batteries and then bought another 2 yrs ago.
I had 3 red tops in my 190, 1 at a time. 2 yrs and dead, replaced under warranty ea ch time. Didn't matter if I maintIned them over the winter or not, still dead after 2 years .
Well the 4th one lasted more than 2 yrs in my Jeep so I bought a blue top for my X2.
2 yrs on it and dead this weekend, right on s hedule! Maintained 24/7/365 with a Prozports charger maintainer.
Never spending the money on one again.
It's not how I maintained it either since my 2nd battery is an odyssey, 4 yrs old now and still works.

Yeah, I've had some pretty bad luck with the yellow top in my Suburban. It's on the 3rd one now and of course I was getting every run around in the world from their tech support.

My X30 came with two new blue tops but once they go dead I wont be buying more of them.

CruisinGA
05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Killed many optimas... Done with them.

Go AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) if you have to have something fancy.

I have had good luck with Interstate and Deka.

1985 Skiier
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I have one yellow top for starting and one blue top for the stereo on a Perko and they work great.They sit for the winter a lose less than a volt. 13.2 fully charged and 12.6 after six months The yellow top is six years old. I Had it in a rock Crawler, then a River Boat and then in the Mastercraft. It will probably go dead now that I said something. I had issues with Red tops. They went dead and stayed dead but then Costo would give me a new one under warranty.