PDA

View Full Version : Stalling problem - 87 ProStar 190

dwood
08-16-2005, 12:06 AM
I've been having a problem when running aroung 2000 rpm for a while, as I come in and start to slow down the boat will stall.
I can only get it started by chocking it and then it will not idle - at all.
Very frustrating!
What does water in the gas act like?
I have been trying additives in the gas - still happened after 4 tanks.
Should I put in a new gas tank?
Any suggestions?

:confused:

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 08:33 AM
1) When is the last time you changed your fuel filter
2) Check in the gas tank to make sure something is blocking the pickup
3) Could be your fuel pump

Hoff1
08-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Water in the gas tank causes intermittent power losses. Kind of like you are pulling the safety kill switch, but putting it back before it dies. It can cause stalling, but it should have cleared out after 4 tanks.

dwood
08-16-2005, 09:18 AM
I had the fuel filter changed about two months ago, everything checked - everything set-up properly and of course everything ran fine while the guy had it to fix the problem.
I thought everything was fine - no stalling for quite a while and then it just started again this past weekend trying to take the kids wakeboarding.

When driving at slower speeds - 20 or so, you can feel the engine chugging - not running smooth at all. At higher speeds I can't feel the same hesitation happening.

I don't know what to do??

:confused:

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Before I went ripping stuff apart and paying big money I would check the gas tank pickup. You'll have to pull the back seat out and the panel out to get to the tank clamps. Make sure their isn't anything blocking that pickup.

dwood
08-16-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks!
I will do that this weekend.
I appreciate the help!!

BradD
08-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Any update? This sounds like the problem I'm having. Did you solve it?

dwood
08-29-2005, 02:42 PM
NO, I haven't solved the problem yet.
I was going to pull the tank out but ran out of time.
Too much fuel in it and kids wanting to go skiing / wakeboarding, etc.
It was happening again this weekend.
After next weekend, I am going to drain the tank and remove it - I'll post what I find - hopefully something blocking the line.