PDA

View Full Version : Fram oil filter

bailey78
04-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Just bought rotella 15w40 and a fram oil filter to change my oil tommorow. Just read I should not use a fram filter?????? Any input before i change my oil tommorw??? Thanks in advance.

catamount
04-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I used to buy Fram for my cars. Then after doing some reading I realized that by spending just a dollar or two more I could get a filter with a much better reputation (in my case, Mann for my German car).

Now, I try to stick with the highest quality filter I can get. You can get a Wix filter for a dollar or two more than you paid for the Fram.

Get a Wix!

Those are my two cents at least.

Table Rocker
04-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I had one fail in a pickup (GM 350) about 15 years ago. I haven't bought one since. I had zero oil pressure. Since I needed the truck fixed pronto, I towed it to the mechanic and caught a ride to work. He called me and said "You've got a bad oil filter." The good news was I could afford the repair bill. He said, "never buy Fram, I see bad ones all the time."

On the other hand, most of the cars on the road probably have Fram filters. That could be the main reason he saw Fram filter failures.

I have been buying WIX and from what I have read, no corners are cut in their construction.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

AZX9
04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Wix from o'rielly's or napa gold, which is a wix. I believe the wix part number is 1069, I believe.

sleeporbutter
04-17-2012, 11:19 PM
It may be a 51069. That's the number for my LY6. Wix isn't the only good filter, but it's the one I like also.

Table Rocker
04-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Wix from o'rielly's or napa gold, which is a wix. I believe the wix part number is 1069, I believe. 1069 is the NAPA Gold number, the WIX number is 51069. That is the filter for the small block Indmars that call for the Pennzoil PZ-3.

I use the WIX 51061 which is the same filter as the 51069, only longer by close to an inch. I figure a few more square inches of filter media can only help. The NAPA Gold number is 1061.

If bailey78 has a Ford, none of the above applies.

AZX9
04-17-2012, 11:27 PM
51069 I think is the Napa Gold number or visa versa. They also make a longer filter with the same thread and diameter but it won't clear my stringer or I would use it.

bcboy
04-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Just bought rotella 15w40 and a fram oil filter to change my oil tommorow. Just read I should not use a fram filter?????? Any input before i change my oil tommorw??? Thanks in advance.
Just did the exact same thing...thanks to all the advice on this forum...the fram goes back and i will replace it with the wix...its just not worth the risk!!! Check out the youtube comparisons under the LY6 oil thread.

Jeff d
04-17-2012, 11:36 PM
I'll usually use whatever's available accept Fram. AC Delco, Wix, Purolator, and even Super Tech from Wal-Mart but not Fram.

Also, put a gallon zip lock bag under your filter when removing it to avoid getting a bunch of oil in the bilge. After you let it drain into the bag then just zip it up and get it out of the boat. Someone else on here shared that tip with me for my first oil change.

AZX9
04-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Super tech! Really

catamount
04-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Also, put a gallon zip lock bag under your filter when removing it to avoid getting a bunch of oil in the bilge. After you let it drain into the bag then just zip it up and get it out of the boat. Someone else on here shared that tip with me for my first oil change.

Great tip! Thanks!

Jeff d
04-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Super tech! Really
Yeah, they're supposedly made by Champion Labs who makes many other top quality filters. The cutaways I had seen in the past have been good quality. I suppose with a house brand for a company like Wal-Mart they could change manufacturers at any time though. Who knows, they could be made by Fram next week.

Looks like they may not be that great anymore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhYOD5E7to

Still better and cheaper than Fram though.

AZX9
04-18-2012, 12:06 AM
I think that YouTube video says it all. No way that crap's going on any of my engines.

mikeg205
04-18-2012, 09:04 AM
I think that YouTube video says it all. No way that crap's going on any of my engines.

For a few bucks you can get a filter that won't trash your multi-thousand dollar power plant. Can't believe how cheap some filters are...

CantRepeat
04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Here's a study on filters.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Wix is a good filter.

agarabaghi
04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Im a big fan of the KN filters. HP 2002 for the MCX. The only reason is because of how easy it is to remove. They have a huge nut molded into the bottom of the filter. Use a wrench and off it comes! Done!

mikeg205
04-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Here's a study on filters.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Wix is a good filter.

poked around and loved the letter from Fram... :) Glue plus special adhesive = as good as steel? Almost fell of my chair...:D

link here from Fram....

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

Thanks can't good find...

Cary K.
04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Glad this thread is here as I am planning on changing my oil tonight (weather permitting), and will make sure to NOT get a Fram. Unfortunately, I think I have been using them for years.

agarabaghi
04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
take a look at K&N

J NORRIS
04-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Never thought a oil filter would fail like that. I have a fram on her now, will not put one back on after reading this. When I change it this year, will go with something different.

east tx skier
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
If there's one that fits, I'll throw Motorcraft in there as a good alternative. It's all I have ever used on any of my boats (of course, they're Fords).

CantRepeat
04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
If there's one that fits, I'll throw Motorcraft in there as a good alternative. It's all I have ever used on any of my boats (of course, they're Fords).

I believe Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator which make good filters. In that study the author said he didn't like the purolator pure one filter. He based that off the assumption that it had a ton of filter media in the filter and he suggested that it might no flow well when it gets really dirty. However, he did not perform a flow test so it's just an observation of his.

I have and still use the Pure Ones.

CantRepeat
04-18-2012, 12:37 PM
poked around and loved the letter from Fram... :) Glue plus special adhesive = as good as steel? Almost fell of my chair...:D

link here from Fram....

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

Thanks can't good find...

Fram has the lions share of DIY oil changer's money because of good marketing. Once more people see how poorly they are designed I think that will change.

bailey78
04-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!! returned my fram and put a napa gold in / with rottella 15w40...

mikeg205
04-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Fram has the lions share of DIY oil changer's money because of good marketing. Once more people see how poorly they are designed I think that will change.

Hey Can't - I could not believe what a POS the fram filters are... I never had a problem with them but after learning how they are made...I can never go back to them. If I never bought my boat I probably would have never looked around for that info.

ahhudgins
04-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd like to stir up the hornets nest by reposting these pictures again!:D
I actually emailed his team to see what number filter it is but never got a reply.

mikeg205
04-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I'd like to stir up the hornets nest by reposting these pictures again!:D
I actually emailed his team to see what number filter it is but never got a reply.

One run...complete break down... I bet a new filter everytime... :D... I bet a Fram will last at least a 10-20 minutes of high compression nitro-methane idle, a burn out and a balls out down the 1/4 mile.... :D

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
used once and thrown away, thats used for contingency money anyway...

cjprostar
04-19-2012, 08:19 PM
All my Fords get Motorcraft. My Chevy dragcar gets a K&N. I only use 2 kinds of oil. Valvoline 10W-30 in newer motors. Rotella in my diesel and pushrod motors.
CJ McDonald

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 08:22 PM
used once and thrown away, thats used for contingency money anyway...

That is the only reason they run them.

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Hey Can't - I could not believe what a POS the fram filters are... I never had a problem with them but after learning how they are made...I can never go back to them. If I never bought my boat I probably would have never looked around for that info.

The whole "you can pay me now, or you can pay my later" campaign is what put them on the map. Trouble is, if you use their product you will pay later. :D

Deltaxstar
04-19-2012, 10:01 PM
That fram on that dragster is a hp filter anyway much different then the pos you get at the parts store. Yes most teams run filters made by sponsors but what for about a minute lol not at 5000 rpm for 100 hrs

snork
04-19-2012, 10:57 PM
That fram on that dragster is a hp filter anyway much different then the pos you get at the parts store. Yes most teams run filters made by sponsors but what for about a minute lol not at 5000 rpm for 100 hrs

ouch 100 hrs?

Deltaxstar
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Hey some people only change theyre oil twice a year and log 100 hrs a year I'm not one of them tho just giving worse case scenarios

Table Rocker
04-20-2012, 12:31 PM
The Pennzoil filters that are factory spec'd by Indmar are apparently Fram as well.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/images/filter-fram-1.jpg
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html (http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html)