PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do you tighten skidim's riser bolts?

catamount
04-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Skidim's hex head riser bolts are great but... how in the world are you guys finding clearance to crank these guys down, especially on the valve cover side? My wrench barely swings 10 degrees, and certainly not enough to get to the next "face" for the wrench.

Can't get a socket in there either, so... what's the secret fellas?

http://i.imgur.com/SoODZ.jpg

mikeg205
04-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I stayed with the hex key and cut off half the key...I was wondering how to tighten those bolts...special offset wrench?

Thin wall sockets?

Cloaked
04-17-2012, 09:58 PM
I use a box end wrench with one side ground down enough for it to fit in there. I hated to put a wrench on the grinder wheel but it's what it took for me to get it in there. Your mileage may vary but this worked very well for me.

catamount
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM
I use a box end wrench with one side ground down enough for it to fit in there. I hated to put a wrench on the grinder wheel but it's what it took for me to get it in there. Your mileage may vary but this worked very well for me.

Damn! That's what it is going to take, huh? Hopefully I can find a junky 9/16" wrench in my "junk box".

Jeff d
04-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Somehow my plain ole 9/16" box end wrench worked without modification. I don't think they're very low profile or anything either. What kind of wrenches do you have? I've noticed the random ones I've gotten at Harbor Freight seem to have a lot more metal on the ends and are thicker compared to my Craftsman ones. I've always assumed it was due to the metal HF used sucks so bad that they have to use 50% more to match the strength of a good, forged American tool. So, maybe a "high end" combination wrench would be enough thinner around the perimeter to be able to turn.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-17-2012, 10:24 PM
How about using a thin wall (chrome) swivel socket...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Btw did you get your breather sorted out...

JimN
04-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Skidim's hex head riser bolts are great but... how in the world are you guys finding clearance to crank these guys down, especially on the valve cover side? My wrench barely swings 10 degrees, and certainly not enough to get to the next "face" for the wrench.

Can't get a socket in there either, so... what's the secret fellas?

http://i.imgur.com/SoODZ.jpg

Usually, these are held on by machine screws (Allen head) and a ball-end Allen wrench is used to tighten/loosen them. In your case, I would look for thin-wall swivel sockets. If you can't find those, look for a swivel extension. I bought one from a MAC tool dealer but others sell them.

I would NEVER recommend 12 point sockets or box wrenches unless the bolt head is actually 12 point.

catamount
04-17-2012, 10:43 PM
What kind of wrenches do you have? ... So, maybe a "high end" combination wrench would be enough thinner around the perimeter to be able to turn.

Haha. The wrench in the photo is a SnapOn! I have some Craftsman Professional (nice full polish wrenches) that I can try in the morning, but I don't think they're going to work much better.

How about using a thin wall (chrome) socket...

I don't have one of those, but I love buying tools so... maybe now is the time.

Btw did you get your breather sorted out...

No, not yet. I think I need to buy that other breather with the 5/8" nipple. I did make an update in the "appearance" forum if you'd like to see my progress on the boat.

Usually, these are held on by machine screws (Allen head) and a ball-end Allen wrench is used to tighten/loosen them. In your case, I would look for thin-wall swivel sockets.

Right, but a lot of people have trouble with those allen heads so skidim sells a set of these as replacements. I think I'd rather have the allen heads back! However, skidim must sell a bunch of these so I know there's a way.

I guess I have to get my grinder out and start "making" a tool that will work.

JimN
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Right, but a lot of people have trouble with those allen heads so skidim sells a set of these as replacements. I think I'd rather have the allen heads back! However, skidim must sell a bunch of these so I know there's a way.

I guess I have to get my grinder out and start "making" a tool that will work.

That's because they booger up the screw head by not using the right tool. If they used the ball end or cut a regular Allen wrench down so it fits into the area. it would work fine. The problem is that they sometimes rust in place and if the wrench is really short, it's harder to use a channel lok or adjustable wrench to add torque.

I have ground a ball on the end of regular Allen wrenches and that's what I used most of the time because I couldn't really take time off to buy a $5 tool when I was busy at the dealership- I had a lot of boats to work on and couldn't put any off because I didn't have a tool.

catamount
04-17-2012, 11:14 PM
When I took mine off I just cut down a regular allen wrench. They all broke free pretty well. Anyway, I thought these would be an "upgrade" but it appears that I will just have to find a way to make them work first.

Skidim sells a boatload of them so... I'll find a way.

mikeg205
04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Get the allen bolts much easier... too an allen wrench cut it down... and was done in minutes...will cut ball end next time for bigger swing on intake side... or I may make a new one by putting a 30 degree angle on the short end...hopefully awhile from now...

Lumbergh
04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Get the allen bolts much easier... too an allen wrench cut it down... and was done in minutes...will cut ball end next time for bigger swing on intake side... or I may make a new one by putting a 30 degree angle on the short end...hopefully awhile from now...

+1.

You can by a factory INDMAR kit that includes new bolts and gasket for about $12.

Love skidim, this is one thing I passed on when I R/R risers.