PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Storage

SteveO
04-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Well, its official! I'm headed to Nashville for a new job opportunity. I will continue my WA to TN commute until the kids are out of school and will call the Brentwood, Franklin area home in July. Does anyone know of any indoor storage facilities in the S Nashville, Bwood, Franklin, Nolensville... area? I would also appreciate any information on the lakes in the area and will be looking to find some other riders once I get settled.

mikeg205
04-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Dang....I want to move to nashville...go for you!!!!

MCVOLS
04-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Welcome to TN! I am in Knoxville, but spent several years in middle TN, a little further south from where you will be, in Columbia. Been gone too long to help with storage, but here is what I know of the lakes:

Center Hill is a great lake, east of Nashville maybe 1.5-2 hrs from where you will be. From the south side where you are, Tims Ford is a pretty good lake as well. Maybe slightly closer depending on where you end up. Percy Priest is right in Nashville, but I only went there during the week, weekends got pretty crazy. I think there is a lake north of town, but I never went there. Old Hickory maybe?

Also, south of Nash in Shelbyville is Normandy Lake, which is very small (no marinas, only 13 approved docks on the lake), but a good location to find nice water on weekends or a quicker trip during the week.

Good Luck!

oxberger
04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
+1^ I'm in Middle TN in Murfreesboro. I don't know about indoor facilities especially in your area (Cool Springs, B'wood, etc.) I know Nashville Shores has dry docking facilities. That's on Percy Priest and I believe is fairly expensive. You may want to check some of the Self Storage facilities in the area, they may have large spaces to accomodate boats. I do know there is a place near Old Hickory that has indoor storage (not climate controlled) near Cherokee Steak House. I'm unable to really look anything up at the moment to give you better info, but if you need help. Let me know. Welcome to Nashville!

helton333
04-18-2012, 04:02 PM
I am in Murfreesboro, about 20 minutes from Franklin. Here's my advice - get here first, do something temporary if need be, then see what you need. If you are going to a church, ask around there. The reason I say this is that area is the high-rent district so to speak. PLENTY of folks with huge detached garages and what not (big time walking horse and country music base) - may end up finding someone to let you use their garage - a buddy uses part of my detached to store his boat. Hate to see you sign a storage contract then you end up finding someone with a better alternative. Just my advice. People around here will generally share what they have as well. If you end up using Center Hill Lake - store it at either Center Hill Marina as it is about the closest dock to you - I think it would be well worth the couple hundred a month to have your boat sitting on a hyrahoist in a slip, ready when you need it. There are also a lot of local deals you may find there and on Preist (BTW, be CAREFUL on Preist and Old Hickory - shallow lakes and you can get in a world of hurt quickly) - may find someone there with a slip to sublease, or only using part of a slip and would like to bring someone in to help with the rent. Normandy is a smaller lake, good boating lake - if you wanted to use that lake - DEFINATELY find somewhere to store around it - it would be very inexpensive compared with storing it in Franklin or Nashville.

mitchelmilitiapres
04-18-2012, 06:52 PM
I think there is a lake north of town, but I never went there. Old Hickory maybe?

Old Hickory is an awesome lake. It's close to the Hendersonville, Gallatin area NE of Nashville. My family and I lived on the lake for 5 years. Really great wakeboarding and skiing community on the water. It's a very big lake, and has it's own party cove as well as restaurants on the water. Only downside for you is that it's probably about an hour commute for you to get to the water. But on the upside there are several large marinas to store your boat. We had ours on a hydrohoist on the south side of the lake, Bell Cove Marina. Definetly a viable option! :D:D

SteveO
04-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys. I would prefer to keep her in enclosed storage for this summer while I explore the lakes (will do some rentals on Tim's Ford, Center Hill and others) and get a feel for what we like. I have been spoiled as I have a 12x30 with 10ft doors she stays in now. I would feel like she was violated if I left her outside. Keep those storage ideas coming.

FoggyNogginz
04-18-2012, 09:50 PM
CONGRATS! I moved to Nashville 13 years ago and we love it here. I am on the east side in Mt Juliet, just about a mile from Old Hickory Lake. You will certainly want to check this lake out as it is hands down the best "locals lake" in the city. Old Hickory is really a portion of the Cumberland River, with a dam between the lake itself and east Nashville. There are five restaurants, several marinas and a church on the lake too which makes it convenient. Cedar Creek Yacht Club (http://www.cedarcreekyachtclub.com/General_Information/Fuel_Dock_%26_Dry_Storage/) has dry storage on this lake if you would like to consider that, and several other marinas offer storage and slips as well.

As was mentioned above, Center Hill Lake is an awesome weekend get away, and this is a popular destination for watersports enthusiasts. Center Hill is about 75 mins northeast from Franklin/Brentwood, but for long deep coves and clean water its well worth it. The two most popular marinas on this lake are Center Hill Marina (http://www.centerhillmarina.com/), and my personal favorite, Hurricane Marina (http://www.hurricanemarina.net/) which also has a nice restaurant and large fuel dock.

Finally, the same family that owns the local Mastercraft dealer in middle TN (Aqua Sport Marine (http://www.aquasportnashville.com/default.asp)) also owns some storage facilities near Hurricane Marina on Center Hill Lake. These are large mini warehouses that will accomodate your tower, and they are right on the way to the lake. These are $95/month at the moment for a 12x30, and you can contact Kyle Taylor at 931-644-2375 if interested in this option (please tell him I sent you, as I have a unit there too).

Hope this helps, and look for us on the water in a red X9/209! Send me a private message if you wanna get together one weekend for a "lake tour" too. I'm always looking for more folks to hit the lake with!

FoggyNogginz
04-18-2012, 10:04 PM
P.S. Oddly, I am also in Seattle once a month. We may have a similar commute!! lol

soccr10star
04-19-2012, 07:15 AM
I am a new Mastercraft owner in Nashville. But I've been a boat owner for a few years now. Everyone has given some great information about the local lakes. You will find the two 'local lakes' Old Hickory and Percy Priest. And then within 2-3 hours you have a selection of really great lakes.

I would also recommend Dale Hollow for a weekend trip. It is one of the cleanest lakes I have ever seen and such a nice area. The trip is always worth it.

I can't help out with storage but once you get here, you will find storage facilities on almost every corner. It will just be a matter of finding the best one for you.

Let us know when you make it down!

Forrest-X45
04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Sorry to see you leaving us so soon, Steve. Wish we could have hit the lake more often for early morning runs and hooked up for family day trips.

Good luck with your new career opportunity in Nashville and drop me a line if you are back in Seattle and want to wakeboard.

SteveO
04-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks Chad...definitely was a tough decision, but the opportunity was too good to pass. Gonna miss the amazing beauty of the PNW for sure. You always have a pull in the mother land of MC!

gid
04-26-2012, 11:58 AM
SteveO
Welcome to Nashville - great City (GO Preds) If you want to explore the Cumberland River I live on it and am within sight of the Commodore Yacht Club - I like this over the lakes, not as clear but better water = glass. Send me an IM if you wish. Evenings and early / late on the weekends are best. I need to get my S&S out for a spin anyways.