PDA

View Full Version : New Barefooter

RickDV
08-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Well after trying since last summer my son finally had his first successful barefoot run on a long line tonight. He has been practicing on a boom. It was the end of the night and we had enough light to try one more run. He stepped off a slalom ski and ran for about 3/4 of a mile.

He is so pumped. So am I. Had to share. :D

peason
08-15-2005, 11:54 PM
I know the feeling - he had to be stoked! Way to go! There is nothing like gliding across the water on your feet.

6ballsisall
08-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Thats awesome!!! I am still just king of the boom! Congrats, nothing like barefootin' (well except Slalom :D )

Cloaked
08-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Well after trying since last summer my son finally had his first successful barefoot run on a long line tonight. He has been practicing on a boom. It was the end of the night and we had enough light to try one more run. He stepped off a slalom ski and ran for about 3/4 of a mile.

He is so pumped. So am I. Had to share. :DSend our congrats to him, and you for yEr patience with him... I know the feeling. He's luVin' it too....

Nothing like a great long-line run on slightly rippled water, just outside of the wake..... . OH YEA BABY!!!!!

gr8smiles
08-16-2005, 12:17 AM
That's so cool....I am 42 and vividly remember when my dad took me out when I was about 16 and I tried one morning probably 20 times....and then it clicked....stepped off of an ole dick pope and never looked back.....now, I have to go behind the Seadoo 'cause the X-Star won't go that fast...or I could diet....no, the SeaDoo it is!

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 04:24 PM

He is so pumped. So am I. Had to share. :D

Just had my first long line this summer, so I know the feeling. Post some pics if you got em.

RickDV
08-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Just had my first long line this summer, so I know the feeling. Post some pics if you got em.

Drats! Didn't have a camera with. Will have to get some pics soon.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
08-30-2005, 10:32 PM
He stepped off a slalom ski and ran for about 3/4 of a mile.

That's a great first run.....keep it up and you'll have an endurance footer in the family. The figure 8 tournaments are great fun.....do some checking to see if there are any in your area.

RickDV
08-31-2005, 12:18 AM
That's a great first run.....keep it up and you'll have an endurance footer in the family. The figure 8 tournaments are great fun.....do some checking to see if there are any in your area.

His goal is to barefoot on our show ski team next season. We do some pretty cool barefoot acts, including barefoot pyramids, a barefoot line, and high speed circles around the ski jump. This year we added a "barefoot choo-choo" with 3 barefoot skiers strapped one behind another behind another. Looks impressive when we can pull it off!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
08-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Barefoot acts for ski shows make for some pretty tough skiing. As I'm sure you know, more often than not you are faced with less than ideal conditions (usually downright nasty). I used to show ski and remember many nights I really didn't want to do any footin......but the show must go on! The practice does however make great training for those figure 8 tournaments.

RickDV
09-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Drats! Didn't have a camera with. Will have to get some pics soon.

OK, so I wasn't too good at getting a pic soon, but eventually I remembered to get one posted. By now he has the step off nailed down.

Holtrodj
09-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Rick, what boat are you pulling him with? That wake looks great.

RickDV
09-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Rick, what boat are you pulling him with? That wake looks great.

I'm pulling him with my 1990 ProStar 190. Speed is 42mph. I actually have two footers on this run, but this picture only shows my son.

erkoehler
09-20-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm pulling him with my 1990 ProStar 190. Speed is 42mph. I actually have two footers on this run, but this picture only shows my son.

Becareful he doesn't become too dependant on using a fly high to deep up as most show ski team don't use them, and they aren't used in any tournaments.

RickDV
09-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Becareful he doesn't become too dependant on using a fly high to deep up as most show ski team don't use them, and they aren't used in any tournaments.

Good point, thanks. I will start running him off standard pylon height.

erkoehler
09-20-2005, 01:43 PM
It probably won't take more than one time out to make the change, but he will definetly have to make an adjustment so that he doesn't catch his heels while cheeking out or prior to 3 pointing.

pilot02
09-20-2005, 01:46 PM

Actually erk, I believe they have started using extended pylons in tournaments. I could be wrong and may need to check into that further but I do specifically remember seeing something on USAWaterski about changing the rules to accomodate extended pylons and towers.

Nice shots of the kid. How much does he weigh? 42 seems a bit fast unless he's doing tricks. (Body weight divided by 10 and add 20 mph for basic footin)

RickDV
09-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Actually erk, I believe they have started using extended pylons in tournaments. I could be wrong and may need to check into that further but I do specifically remember seeing something on USAWaterski about changing the rules to accomodate extended pylons and towers.

Nice shots of the kid. How much does he weigh? 42 seems a bit fast unless he's doing tricks. (Body weight divided by 10 and add 20 mph for basic footin)

He weights 180-185. Yeah, 42 is a bit fast, but that's what he wanted to try on that run. I usually pull him 37-39.

erkoehler
09-20-2005, 02:04 PM
He weights 180-185. Yeah, 42 is a bit fast, but that's what he wanted to try on that run. I usually pull him 37-39.

How fast do they pull them in the shows??? I know our show ski teams pull all barefoot acts at 45 no matter what the act or the weight of the skier.

As far as the tournaments, I know that in college tournaments you cannot use fat sacs, fly highs, towers, only the standard pylon with 0 ballast other than the people in the boat.

You maybe correct in barefoot specific tournaments that they will use a fly high, but I am not 100% sure. I know at the Tournament we just went to in the Wis. Dells that was a barefoot trick and wake cross along with wakeboard they had use off the pylon for footin. And no ballast on the wakeboarding.

Rockman
09-20-2005, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=erkoehler]How fast do they pull them in the shows??? I know our show ski teams pull all barefoot acts at 45 no matter what the act or the weight of the skier.

As far as the tournaments, I know that in college tournaments you cannot use fat sacs, fly highs, towers, only the standard pylon with 0 ballast other than the people in the boat.QUOTE]

That's pretty brutal at 45mph. What's the point?

Some college tournaments do allow the use of towers and ballasts as many use X-Stars or other such boats. It depends the type of tournament. As long as the boat is set up equally for all riders, it usually is ok. But each tournament has pre-defined rulings.

:twocents:

erkoehler
09-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Not sure what the point is, many time there are 4-8 footer, so that could be part of the reason for the speed.... :confused:

pilot02
09-20-2005, 02:36 PM
How fast do they pull them in the shows??? I know our show ski teams pull all barefoot acts at 45 no matter what the act or the weight of the skier.

As far as the tournaments, I know that in college tournaments you cannot use fat sacs, fly highs, towers, only the standard pylon with 0 ballast other than the people in the boat.

You maybe correct in barefoot specific tournaments that they will use a fly high, but I am not 100% sure. I know at the Tournament we just went to in the Wis. Dells that was a barefoot trick and wake cross along with wakeboard they had use off the pylon for footin. And no ballast on the wakeboarding.

Since when are there collegiate barefoot tournaments. In my day it was only 3 event. Guess things have changed a little.....

pilot02
09-20-2005, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=erkoehler]How fast do they pull them in the shows??? I know our show ski teams pull all barefoot acts at 45 no matter what the act or the weight of the skier.

As far as the tournaments, I know that in college tournaments you cannot use fat sacs, fly highs, towers, only the standard pylon with 0 ballast other than the people in the boat.QUOTE]

That's pretty brutal at 45mph. What's the point?

Some college tournaments do allow the use of towers and ballasts as many use X-Stars or other such boats. It depends the type of tournament. As long as the boat is set up equally for all riders, it usually is ok. But each tournament has pre-defined rulings.

:twocents:

45 is the max speed a barefoot tournament can be pulled and my guess is that for the increased speed needed for tricks, they're doing it to be equivalent for everyone. Personally, I wouldn't want to be that fast as I'd think tumble turns would burn like hell at those speeds. I like my driver to slow down into the 37-38 range and I'm 195.

Rockman
09-20-2005, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=Rockman]

45 is the max speed a barefoot tournament can be pulled and my guess is that for the increased speed needed for tricks, they're doing it to be equivalent for everyone. Personally, I wouldn't want to be that fast as I'd think tumble turns would burn like hell at those speeds. I like my driver to slow down into the 37-38 range and I'm 195.

That really doesn't make sense. You can't pull a 6 foot guy at 180 lbs 45 mph and then pull a 5 foot 100 lb girl at 45mph and consider that equal? :confused:

A max speed is probably set for all footers just like slalom runs have a min and max at which the course can be run.

There are not alot of tricks out there that would require a footer to go 45 mph...I wouldn't even think pyramids would be that fast. :confused:

Anyways, not a big deal. :twocents:

erkoehler
09-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Since when are there collegiate barefoot tournaments. In my day it was only 3 event. Guess things have changed a little.....

College tourneys are still only 3-event. I was referring to a non sanctioned footin tourney that alot of the college kids attend.

ajgressette
09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
I think wipeouts at speed of 45 mph are awesome. Nothing feels quite the same. HA! :steering:

Any new barefoot wipeout pics?

RickDV
09-20-2005, 03:16 PM
I think wipeouts at speed of 45 mph are awesome. Nothing feels quite the same. HA! :steering:

Any new barefoot wipeout pics?

How 'bout an 'almost wiped out' pic? This pic is not terrific, but he managed to recover and keep goin'.

erkoehler
09-20-2005, 03:22 PM
What happened in that pic?

Last night we were doing double deeps, and the guy on the other side came flying across the wakes and took me out HARD!!! :eek: Wish I had a picture...

ajgressette
09-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Well almost will work. Then again you know what they say about hand grenades and horseshoes.

He defiantly gets an A+ for effort. :banana:

Hey Mom……LOOK……. No Skies!

RickDV
09-20-2005, 03:26 PM
What happened in that pic?

Not sure what was happening. The Mrs. was the photog and I was busy driving. I think this is just as/after stepping off.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
09-21-2005, 10:12 PM
and they aren't used in any tournaments.
To set the record straight, the tower or extended pylons ARE used in 3 event barefoot tournaments. You can request a "low pull" but I have rarely seen anyone use it. The higher pull has become the standard in tournament barefoot skiing (tricks, slalom/wake cross and jumping). It is not used much (if at all) in endurance or figure 8 barefooting since the tower/extended pylon bounces front to back quite a bit as the boat goes through chop. It feels like a back and forth tug-of-war when that happens.

mbradey
09-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Here's a small wipeout...for your viewing pleasure.