PDA

View Full Version : dumb A** hooked our rope, could have killed someone!

sledhead800
08-30-2004, 12:53 AM
tonight at a small lake we were wakeboarding and stopped to switch people. the rope was out, there were only 4 boats including us and this idiot comes by us looking back at his skier. he was within 25 ft of us and finally his skier waved at him.........he did nothing to correct as it was too late and he hooked our rope which luckily just came from behind the boat to full tight and up over my back (tight as a guitar string) and finally broke shooting the rope back into our boat minus the handle and about the first five foot with the protective sleeve over it. we tried to wave him over but he wouldnt stop. he came by again and we hollered at him to stop and he said he would come back later. at that point we fired up the boat and chased him down. he knew he was in the wrong and said to come over to his place. we then went and exchanged numbers and left him the rope so he could get us a new one. in all of my life i have never seen anyone snag a rope like this. we could not find the handle so he was going to put his boat on the lift and check to see if it was still under it. what a scary thing! thank god the girl on the back of the boat putting on the wakeboard wasnt on the other side of the rope or it would have literally sliced her in half. he was going 35-40 as his skier was trying to start barefooting and he said he stayed in the ski when he saw how close his dad was getting to our boat. anyway, just wanted to let off a little steam!!! any of you have stuff like this happen?????

H20skeefreek
08-30-2004, 09:56 AM
unbelievable.....some people are sooo stupid

erkoehler
08-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Just be thankful that nobody got hurt. There are some REAL smart ones out there though aren't there?

jimmer2880
08-30-2004, 10:27 AM
There must have been something in the air.... Yesterday - I was out on slalom behind my boat. This guy was pulling a kneeboarder (the boarder was under 8) behind a pontoon boat. The driver was standing up, sideways so he could watch the boy more than he was watching where he was going. Anyway - sure enough, he was coming towards us, crossed our bow (of course we were going ~32mph compared to his 14). It was a close call for us to NOT his his kneeboarder even with instant re-action by my driver.

Luckilly I saw it coming & got behind my boat's wakes instead of being in my typical "zone" where I'm oblivious to my surroundings.

And it wasn't even Labor Day weekend yet! He was the ONLY other boat on the water!

jimmer2880
08-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Also glad nobody was hurt. I've seen first hand how a rope can open someone up - not a good thing. Glad you went after the a$$hole & set him straight. I'd be tempted to report the incident to the patrol (whomever patrols your area) so they have it on file in case he does it again.

glad everyone's ok.

scott88prostar
08-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Glad everyone is ok!...I ve always said "a good day boating can go bad in a heartbeat"...just never know....I was in the water waiting for the water to get calmer ( never calm enough)....two guys in big inboard/outboard....were drinking their beer and talking paying no attention to anything or anyone...they cut between me and the boat...I was on a 100 ft rope must have thought I was a duck...all I could do was sit and watch as his lower unit picked up my rope...he was going about 30 and the rope was just skipping along the water coming up to my friends and it was going to real tight, real fast, and all I can do is watch as the rope tears the pylon out and kills someone!....I yelled to my driver to go (old girlfriend)...and thank god she listened for once. Hoping that at least they wouldn’t be dead in the water when the rope got tight.. ...As he gets parallel to my boat the handle kicks out ....fortunately the rope was being carried along by the lower unit and never actually got in his motor....which I guess would have slowed him down pretty quickly …. He goes merrily along not knowing what almost happened...seemed like minutes watching....I wonder if that non stretch barefoot rope would done if it got tight.....ever notice that seems like a lot of boating accidents occur when there are only 2 boats on the water.

east tx skier
08-30-2004, 11:30 AM
I am counting the days until labor day has passed. A little cool weather always seems to clear things out at the lake a little. Tick tock. Tick tock.

CTPJ
08-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Saturday, I had a guy pulling a skier on two skis doing about 35 pass us closely while my wife was pulling me on a wakeboard at about 20. He then cut in front of us and proceeded to do a wide turn (again cutting in front of us) and came back by us just as closely as before. Some people!

bcampbe7
08-30-2004, 11:44 AM
I think MC owners should adopt H2O's idea of the paintball gun. The reputation would grow and other boaters would stay clear of us.

Leroy
08-30-2004, 11:55 AM
I only wish it were on boats, but those same idiots drive cars, carry guns, etc. of only we had a moron test that worked.....my 16 year old is wanting a car, so I use every example to show how easy things can go bad.

bcampbe7
08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
I was driving to school, by myself, when I was 14! In Iowa you were allowed to get a school permit if you had taken driver's education. If and when I have a kid, they will not drive until at least 16. My youngest brother is 15 and my parents are debating on whether or not he will get a car when he turns 16. I have a feeling I have caused their concern! Never got into a wreck (knock on wood), but I was really stupid (maybe still am, read the starter thread) and careless.
I would like to think maturity helps, but in the case of the lake issues, maturity has nothing to do with it. Common sense and an innate cosideration for others is key. IMHO

Rockman
08-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Sometimes the best day on the lake can be easily ruined in a few seconds as someone with little or no boating experience (or common courtesy) pulls a Wally move.

We have been blessed up in Central Wisconsin on the lakes we ski that we have not been a part to any type of those accidents. The usual waverunners (mesquitos) and Wally's on our lake have taken a back seat to the hard-core skiers like ourselves this summer. Don't know what came of them but maybe they have been reading our postings since last summer and realize that someone will either approach you in your boat or even hunt you down at your house and ensure you know what others have defined as "unacceptable behavior."

We all go out to have fun and that is the most important thing but we all know that safety is really our first concern, no matter what you drive, or ski.

:twocents:

east tx skier
08-30-2004, 03:18 PM
So it is your contention that these people can read, do I have that right? :D

Welcome to the board!

André
08-30-2004, 06:05 PM
IT WAS IN THE AIR !!!
Almost happened to me Saturday night but THE other way around!I was getting in the boat,force to stop skiing by too many boats out,i saw two boats,each pulling a skier on combos coming right at us.Good thing my girl always pull the rope back in ,but one of the skier fell and his driver made a turnaround using my boat as a turning island.Their handle was about 10 feet of my boat...They looked at me yelling at them as if i was out of a nuthouse...Pretty sure i scared them...Good,they'll stay away when i'm in the course! :uglyhamme

east tx skier
08-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Good thing my girl always pull[s] the rope back in

Yeah, mine too. I never leave it out either. My handle doesn't float either. Worst case scenario, I'll hook a Buick on the bottom before I can pull it in, and will have a good anchor requiring me to cut the rope.

André
08-30-2004, 06:26 PM
I prefer the Buick to a Mafia Godfather with concrete slippers!

stevo137
08-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Leroy, you should make him watch that Chris Farley motivational piece.
I still LMAO when I see that piece.

Leroy
08-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Stevo;
THat would be great: "you go skiing Matt goes skiing"

Andre;
Our private message test still shows you haven't read my message, just wondering if the message read works! Watch out for those 2 skiers!

NeilM
08-31-2004, 01:37 AM
Even worse with a tower. If someone gets your wakeboard rope (and they float) caught around a fin or something, they can pull your boat right over on its side and swamp it.

I think I want to trade in H2O's paintball gun for a bazooka. morons.

tall_ andy
08-31-2004, 09:55 AM
If your using a tower a good thing to have is a seatbelt cutter close by. They aren't too much money, hopefully it'll be like a fire extinguisher and you'll never have to use it, but if you do it could save you and your boat!! Just make sure a ski rope will fit into the opening. I've seen some that look like a seatbelt wouldn't even fit

SKI*MC
04-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Yah actually something like that did happen to us... saddly to say we were pulling a tuber (it was too rough to do anything else) and some guy on a jet ski is whipping around behind our wake tring to get air. He backed off for a while, then we saw him come back going pretty fast, the guy thought that he could launch off one of our wakes again, the thing is he was going to fast and didnt account that we were going slower than he was. He closlined him self right on our rope. He went frying off, by the time we cirlcle back to him he was sitting on his jetski with a big old roap burn accross his chest. We asked if he was ok, he didnt say anythng, just got onto his jetski and left.

Foiler
04-03-2005, 12:47 AM
I had about the same thing happen on a crowded day. The guy was way to close to us be going that fast. I could only watch in disbelief as he ran over the end of the rope. It got real tight very fast then snapped! Something had to give and I was glad it was the rope.

Sad thing was he didn't know he had hit anything.

sfitzgerald351
04-04-2005, 01:26 AM
These kinds of people just piss me off. I usually chase them down and give them one heck of a 'safety' lecture that lasts about 30-60 minutes. If they didn't stop after the crash, it's usually enough time for the police to arrive to fill out a hit and run report which gives most people pause (usually the driver's spouse!). Some states this type of accident gets on the insurance report and causes real havoc for their rates and I think they deserve it. We had our boat broadsided by a jetski at Lake Tahoe one year. We were just cruising at 5 mph along the shore looking at the mansions and this kid whips up, trieds to hit the wake behind us and ended up ramming out boat in the side. He got back on, we asked if he was okay since it was a pretty bad impact, he said he was and took off! Needless to say that was a long safety lecture that day. Luckily the boat was beefy and we just needed gelcoat repair. But we did have to chase the kids and his family down to get their number so they could pay for the damage.

While I hate the thought of more gov't regulations I'm beginning to think that a mandatory boating safety class might not be such a bad thing.

tex
04-04-2005, 10:07 AM
We were at the Brazos one year and a buddy was getting ready to ski. The rope was out and we were pulling the slack out when this idiot goes behind my buddy in the water. He runs over the rope and drags the rope over my buddy's head. Small rope burn but could have been worse. The bad thing was the guy pulled around and tried to blame us. He claimed that we should pick up our skiers sooner. He raced off before I could discuss it better with him.

jsonova99
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
We were at the Brazos one year and a buddy was getting ready to ski. The rope was out and we were pulling the slack out when this idiot goes behind my buddy in the water. He runs over the rope and drags the rope over my buddy's head. Small rope burn but could have been worse. The bad thing was the guy pulled around and tried to blame us. He claimed that we should pick up our skiers sooner. He raced off before I could discuss it better with him.

I would have blown a fuse in that situation. Luckily I have had no incidents to speak of.

tex
04-04-2005, 10:44 AM
I would have blown a fuse in that situation. Luckily I have had no incidents to speak of.
Oh, fuse was blown, I was ready to kill!

wiltok
04-04-2005, 11:06 AM
I believe a quick release would be helpful not only for having someone run over your rope - but in other situtaions with a skier. Anyone have a link to one??? I haven't been able to find one on the web.

tex
04-04-2005, 11:20 AM
I believe a quick release would be helpful not only for having someone run over your rope - but in other situtaions with a skier. Anyone have a link to one??? I haven't been able to find one on the web.

www.lakeelmosports.com

DanC
04-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I haven't had a rope run over since my young I/O days. Now with an inboard and a center mount pylon, it is just automatic to pull in the rope every time. Here on the California Delta, you will get your rope run over every day if you don't pull it in :friday: .

wiltok
04-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks Tex - that's what I was looking for! I had something like this on my old boat - never had to use it but I was comfortable that I had the option to release.

I assume it will fit MC pylons??

sfitzgerald351
04-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Speaking of running over ropes, how many of you live in states where they require a skier down flag? California always required one and I didn't realize how much they help till I moved to New England where they don't require them. I put the flag up my first day out here in Boston and almost got killed by the boats coming over to 'help' thinking the red flag was an emergency beacon of some sort!

AirJunky
04-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Yea, WA state law doesn't permit leaving your rope out like that at all. I agree the guy was way too close, but the rope shouldn't be out there either, especially if the rider isn't in the water.

We are required to use the flags too. Interesting point..... anyone ever ski down in Parker, AZ? No skier down flags required, very narrow river, 10' law when passing another boat or object (it's 100' here) & a TON of boats. Fast boats, ski boats, whatever. And it's COMMON for all drivers to hold up thier hand when passing a down skier. Not a law, just a common courtesy. Blew me away the first time I went there.

causewayskiier
04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey everyone makes mistakes, I'm sure you'll make one someday also. Hopefully he will buy you a new rope, if so I'm sure he will have learned a good lesson.

sfitzgerald351
04-04-2005, 01:24 PM
I think I have to disagree here... Everyone does make mistakes, but passing within 100' of another boat with a skier down is just plain dangerous. Boats don't have brakes and it should be common sense to leave some room between boats. There are very few places where you need to come closer and it's usually a narrow section of river. On any decent size pond you have more than 100' available if folks are driving well.

AirJunky
04-04-2005, 01:31 PM
but passing within 100' of another boat with a skier down is just plain dangerous. Boats don't have brakes and it should be common sense to leave some room between boats. There are very few places where you need to come closer and it's usually a narrow section of river. On any decent size pond you have more than 100' available if folks are driving well.

Depends on where your at Scott. Different areas have different limits. In Parker it's only 10'. It's not uncommon to be standing out on your dock & have a boat go by 30' away at 50+ mph.

sfitzgerald351
04-04-2005, 01:54 PM
No, I understand that it's waterway dependent. I've boated all over the US and for the most part, most popular boating places (with the exception of the CO river) are more than 200' feet across giving plenty of room to pass. I got hit by a jetskier on Lake Tahoe. He had 500 feet between me and the shore, 3 miles of open water behind me, and 25 miles of open water on the other side of me. Lots of room and he still hit me. Sorry, that's not a 'mistake' that's driving like an idiot and he's lucky he didn't hurt himself or someone else.

Things might actually be better in narrow waterways because people realize they need to pay attention?...

rodltg2
04-04-2005, 03:36 PM
apparentley there are not too many boating regs in chile. lake i was at was not very busy , i guess skiing through the marina is not illegal. i couldnt help but laugh. we were filling the boat up at the gas dock and some clown goes by about 30 feet away on some double skiis. of course he made a victory lap as well.

jsonova99
04-04-2005, 03:39 PM
No, I understand that it's waterway dependent. I've boated all over the US and for the most part, most popular boating places (with the exception of the CO river) are more than 200' feet across giving plenty of room to pass. I got hit by a jetskier on Lake Tahoe. He had 500 feet between me and the shore, 3 miles of open water behind me, and 25 miles of open water on the other side of me. Lots of room and he still hit me. Sorry, that's not a 'mistake' that's driving like an idiot and he's lucky he didn't hurt himself or someone else.

Things might actually be better in narrow waterways because people realize they need to pay attention?...

When I was looking for a boat, I looked at a '90 PS190, the owner has the same situation, jetski crashed intot starboard side of the transom. Had to hav the corner partially rebuilt.

jsonova99
04-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Now that waverunners have come up, I will share a story that I was told by a friend of our family who is the harbor master in Searsport, Maine. Anyway, apparently they were having problem with waverunner operators jumping the bow wakes of oil tankers coming into port. We're talking 600' fully loaded oil tankers. They probably put off a good 4 to 6 foot bow wake at cruising speed (rough estimate). Anyway, sure enough, they had to recover like 3 or 4 people who had been sucked under the ship, and drwonded. I don't know if anybody was chewed up by the screws or not. Not skiing related, but just a great example of how stupid people can be.

sfitzgerald351
04-04-2005, 03:51 PM
My uncle has a cottage on the St. Lawrence river near the Ontario / Quebec border and the lakers go by about 125 feet off from his dock. The bow wave is only about 2 feet at the speed they are doing in that area (maybe 5 knots) but what's interesting to watch is the water getting sucked right off the shore as it passes. The water level drops about 2-3 feet at the dock for a good 10-20 seconds. I stay well away from those suckers. There's some real interesting hydrodynamics that occur as they go by.

lakes Rick
04-04-2005, 05:22 PM
My uncle has a cottage on the St. Lawrence river near the Ontario / Quebec border and the lakers go by about 125 feet off from his dock. The bow wave is only about 2 feet at the speed they are doing in that area (maybe 5 knots) but what's interesting to watch is the water getting sucked right off the shore as it passes. The water level drops about 2-3 feet at the dock for a good 10-20 seconds. I stay well away from those suckers. There's some real interesting hydrodynamics that occur as they go by.

Yeah like when the waters went down off the beach before the tsunami hit.. No rhodes scholars there.....

jsonova99
04-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah like when the waters went down off the beach before the tsunami hit.. No rhodes scholars there.....

I think some of those people even walked out towards it to get a better look.

lakes Rick
04-04-2005, 05:32 PM
I think some of those people even walked out towards it to get a better look.

Yes that did happen.. Cleaned out the gene pool that day....

heysteve!
04-04-2005, 10:39 PM
did he ever replace the rope? i would have got mad at the guy and took my anger out and smashed stuff in his house....what a jerk!

Larryp
04-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Now that waverunners have come up, I will share a story that I was told by a friend of our family who is the harbor master in Searsport, Maine. Anyway, apparently they were having problem with waverunner operators jumping the bow wakes of oil tankers coming into port. We're talking 600' fully loaded oil tankers. They probably put off a good 4 to 6 foot bow wake at cruising speed (rough estimate). Anyway, sure enough, they had to recover like 3 or 4 people who had been sucked under the ship, and drwonded. I don't know if anybody was chewed up by the screws or not. Not skiing related, but just a great example of how stupid people can be.
http://www.surfingvancouverisland.com/surf/st99f.htm
This looks like a more useful way to use bow wake.

JEREMY79
04-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Yes that did happen.. Cleaned out the gene pool that day....

Anybody say "Darwin Awards"