PDA

View Full Version : X1 Owners - 2009 opinions

wakedoc
04-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi All

I had posted this 2 days ago but it has been moved to Maintenance and Refurbishing - General, where it most likely won't be seen as much - so I'll try again with a different title and see how it goes?

This question is specific to the '09 X1 with MCX. We have had ours now for 3 1/2 years (from new), and from the very beginning it has had a vibration from 800-1300rpm that shakes the steering wheel, the dashboard, windscreen, and the tower. The vibration isn't horrendous, but it is enough to make the windscreen and steering wheel rattle, and boards in the racks shake.
Most people will say "must be a shaft/prop issue", but this occurs also in neutral. The vibration is prominent enough that 90% of the people who come into our boat will comment on it and wonder if the prop is out (then they realise that we are in neutral). It does appear to diminish above this rev range and is not noticable at wakeboard speeds.

We have had multiple marine mechanics go over this, and multiple theories. Unfortunately our local dealer went out of business soon after our purchase (and this may have meant that our issues were not communicated to Mastercraft properly at the beginning), but our local service agent has been dealing with Indmar and Mastercraft for well over 2 1/2 years now, and we had a replacement engine sent over (no difference), then a new transmission (no difference). Then everyone got concerned over oxygen sensors and injection mapping (but no answers).

The most recent development was a Mastercraft Engineer from Australia flew over to deal with the problem. He adjusted the tower (which was out of alignment - and is more solid now), and told me that this vibration was completely normal for the '09 X1 with MCX (apparently the EXT CATs required a different cam and ignition profile to get the power up after the cats were added, and this has resulted in a 'lumpier' feel at lower revs), and it is unique to this model due to exhaust harmonics and the narrow hull setting up a vibration.

I'm struggling to understand this, and how a boat that feels like this on the water could be sold as an example of the quality that Mastercraft represents. Before ordering this one, we test drove an '07 X1 (MCX) that was smooth, and recently I have spent some time in an '06 X1 (MCX) that is silky smooth over this rev range. I have never been in an inboard (and I've been in a lot) that feels like this.

I love our boat, but have concerns that this vibration could be causing some long term issues, and although I am not planning on selling this soon, when we do come to sell it this vibration will be seen as a problem (I know I would, and if I was looking to purchase a 2nd hand boat - I would be wary of buying this one).

We now have 375 hours on this boat (so it hasn't stopped us using it, but we would normally put 180 hours a year on - there has been a lot of time when it has been unusable while mechanics have had their heads in it, or parts out of it).

I have searched internet forums ad nauseum, and found no information. I have held off posting this in the hope that I could work with Mastercraft to find a solution, but now I just want to know if anyone else who has this boat (or has spent time in one) has the same issue (or am I being fobbed off).

I have no doubt that if I was in the US, this would have been dealt with long ago (even if it was a matter of putting it on a transporter back to the factory), but down here in New Zealand it is a bit more difficult.

I would welcome any opinions on this (it is specific to the 2009 X1 with MCX engine) - and if other owners tell me it is perfectly normal, then that will at least give me an answer.

bjames
04-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Im not a mechanic, but you may want to think about the timing of the vibration and how it may relate to your RPMs, Obviously if this is happening in nuetral, you can eliminate the shaft/prop. Perhaps its a timing issue or something may be out of ballance. Have you checked that your engine isnt mis-firing? I had this happen on a jeep cherokee, it felt like the engine was going to vibrate itself loose. Im sure others will have some other ideas. Good luck.

wakedoc
04-18-2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks bjames, the timing has been checked, plugs checked, injectors checked. No codes have ever been thrown that are not the result of a battery connection. The installation of a brand new MCX (shipped over by Indmar) has made no difference, so it either points to an issue with mounting etc in the hull, or the fact that this 205V hull with the late model ('09 +) MCX causes this vibration. I'm just looking for any owners of 09+ X1 with MCX to give me an opinion of whether their boat does the same thing.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

wakedoc
04-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Any further ideas (or current owners with an opinion)?

Help me in my quest for resolution!! (even if it is just accepting that this is normal!)

Jerseydave
04-22-2012, 05:59 PM
I would re-check any parts that were not replaced with that new MCX
(flywheel or flex-plate, any ignition parts, etc) since the vibration "stayed" with the boat even after the new engine was installed.

Are all the mounts ok? Any way to check for cracks in the grid system? (remove carpet perhaps?)

These are all just guesses at this point, hope you find the source of the vibration.

MJR24s
04-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Sushb

wakedoc
04-24-2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks for ideas.

Jerseydave - everything has now been replaced (engine, trans, mounts, exhausts through to the rubbers, the entire wiring in the engine bay (unplugged the old and plugged in the new).

I'm concerned about the stability/alignment of the engine mounts into the stringers (at one point it appeared that the mount bolts into the stringers would not tighten properly, although it appears that this is not an issue now - might get it checked again .......).

MJR24s - we are using 91 RON (and your comment made me do some research - it would appear that in the US you are using the AKI - which means the 89 recommended would equate to approximately 93-94 RON in New Zealand), and I have had 95 RON through it with no real discernable difference - but may try this again (now that I understand the difference in octane ratings).

DMan
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I have the same problem with my 2010 X1. I found your message by looking up "MasterCraft X1 vibration at low RPM". I also feel that "held to a higher standard" is just a catch line as I have had the same issue with vibration at low rpm since I bought my boat. Have you had any further updates from a mechanic on it? I feel that it is as bjames stated and is a misfire issue to do with the ECM and possibly how the injection is timed. I had the shaft checked, prop replaced and tune up (replaced spark plugs, distributor, and wires) and it still is an issue. I called Indmar and spoke with a tech and asked if they had issues with this engine and he stated no (which I should have expected as they don't want to admit they have a problem). Please let me know if you have any further updates.

JohnE
07-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Nothing like that described with my 09 mcx

wakedoc
07-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Hi DMan

I have the exact same experience. The official word I have is that it is considered normal for that motor in that hull. I am told that it is not a problem with the RTP, and only an issue with the EXT CAT engine (and only with the X1 JohnE). We initially thought is was a misfire (replace plugs, cleaned all injectors etc). It was to a point where Indmar sent a new engine over - but the problem remains.

I do have to say that since we got the tower realigned (it wasn't done properly at the start) it has reduced the 'feel' (we think the tower was magnifying the vibration that is present and transmitting it back to the hull - thus making it worse).

Disappointing, but I guess I'm just going to have to live with it. It has been over 3 years, and we are up to almost 400 hours. In fact, when talking to Mastercraft, they were surprised that I had put so many hours on it when it had a problem. My reply was "it has taken so long to get anything done, if I had been waiting all this time and not being able to use it, it would have been on a ship back to the factory and I would have been really angry (as opposed to being just disappointed with the response).

If you ever manage to find a fix, PLEASE let me know (as you are closer to the factory (at least in the same hemisphere) you are more likely to have a chance!).

DMan
07-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the reply wakedoc. I guess it is just something I will have to live with as well as I have 210 hours on mine now. I did send a message to the Mastercraft "contact us" link but haven't heard back from anyone yet. I am using the boat for the summer (like you there is no point in waiting as I would get no enjoyment out of it otherwise). I am going to have it looked at again in the winter as it runs good at 5mph and above and no vibration as you stated.