PDA

View Full Version : S&S rear bench

mzimme
04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm having my interior redone here in the next week or so, and I'm trying to come up with some ideas to make it stay original, but make it a bit more functional. A couple ideas I have include some changes to the rear bench, and wanted to run it by you folks for opinions.

First, I want to make the bench all one piece. Having the cushion as a separate piece seems kind of silly to me. Is there a reason behind the two piece bench? I know some prefer taking the rear cushion off while people get in and out of the boat, but other than that is there any real advantage to keeping the bench a two piece design? It's not as if there is storage under there that I'll be losing.

Second, I want to cut some cup holders into the arm rests of the bench. One on each side would seem fine, but I want somewhere to stow drinks rather than having to hold onto them at all times. Is there any forseeable problem with cutting a couple holes into the bench and having the vinyl wrapped around these holes, then inserting a plastic cup holder insert into the hole after its been recovered?

Thoughts are appreciated... just thinking of some ways to give the boat a bit more function but stay with a factory look.

madcityskier
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Thought about adding cup holders, decided based on who weaker it would lead to sticky sodas in my boat. Also didn't like the idea of water dripping under them and sitting in a nice warm moist environment for fear of what could start to grow. Left two pieces so it's easier to take apart if it gets drenched. Lotta water gets in when teaching on the boom.

tph
04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
"First, I want to make the bench all one piece. Having the cushion as a separate piece seems kind of silly to me. Is there a reason behind the two piece bench? I know some prefer taking the rear cushion off while people get in and out of the boat, but other than that is there any real advantage to keeping the bench a two piece design? It's not as if there is storage under there that I'll be losing."

If you're talking about the rear seat cushion, I would keep the two piece design. They can get very wet. It's nice to be able to pull the cushion, dry everything out below it, and even remove the foam through the zippered opening if necessary. Just one person's opinion.

mzimme
04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
I think I'll keep the two piece for the rear bench, and probably won't add cup holders in there. I suppose keeping the seat structure dry and in tact is more important than being able to set down a couple be... err sodas.

Tom@Jupiter
04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Cup Holders - Depending on year, seat is mostly foam with some wood to staple skin. I would worry that foam would collapse and indent around cup holder in an nonuniform pattern. Also would need to put in drain for cup holder due to condensation and skier entry point, et al. Unattached rear seat allows me to more effectively vent that area after a day on water.

oxberger
04-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Check this thread out:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40781
It's not original but its awesome. I'm eventually going to be doing this to mine. Good luck!

mzimme
04-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Check this thread out:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40781
It's not original but its awesome. I'm eventually going to be doing this to mine. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm not a really a fan of that to be honest. I like the rear bench. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's not legal to ride with someone sitting on that pad since there's no rail around it.

oxberger
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I'm not a really a fan of that to be honest. I like the rear bench. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's not legal to ride with someone sitting on that pad since there's no rail around it.

I didn't think it would be what you're looking for but thought maybe it would give you some idea about what to do for yours. If I ever get around to it, I'm modifying the design so that it's a convertible bench. Goes from bench to sundeck and vice versa.