PDA

View Full Version : Trailer VIN or serial number

Legolamb
04-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Good morning all, first post for me. I just purchased a 96 Prostar 190 and am in the process of getting all my license and titling complete. I did search this forum for the location of the trailer VIN and found that it's common for that silver sticker on the trailer to be illegible. I did send an email to the "contact us" address on the main site, and received no response. Does anyone have a contact phone number or any other way I can contact Mastercraft to get the VIN for my trailer? I can't go anywhere until I get a license plate.

Thanks for any help, what a great site. I have spent the last two days in this forum finding answers to the many questions I have.

Dave

CantRepeat
04-17-2012, 06:50 AM
When I had this issue I called the dealer I purchased the boat from. Since they had sold the boat new to the PO they had the paper work on hand that had the VIN for the trailer.

Legolamb
04-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks CantRepeat, I purchased from a private party, from a state that doesn't require titling of the trailer. He was the third owner, so I don't have any info on the original dealer.

scharette
04-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Hello,

try this thread
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30428&highlight=scharette

CantRepeat
04-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Hello,

try this thread
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30428&highlight=scharette

Great find, added to the FAQ.

Legolamb
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks Scharette, I did find that posting, and used the "contact us" form to explain my situation, but I haven't received a response. There is no phone number on Mastercraft's website. Anyone have another way of contacting Mastercraft?

Thanks.

Jeff d
04-17-2012, 01:34 PM
I have found no less than 4 VIN stickers on my 1999 trailer. 1 in the obvious place, 1 on the bottom where the two side beams come together to the tongue (i.e. check while lying on your back under the trailer), and one on each fender under the carpet pads that are glued on. You'd have to peel the carpet off of the inner fender to see if that one exists then glue it back on with silicone adhesive.

scharette
04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks Scharette, I did find that posting, and used the "contact us" form to explain my situation, but I haven't received a response. There is no phone number on Mastercraft's website. Anyone have another way of contacting Mastercraft?

Thanks.

try to call at 423.884.2221

ricford
04-17-2012, 09:43 PM
My sticker was illegible as well. I called the number above and they were very helpful. I had a new sticker in the mail in a week, no charge.

Legolamb
04-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys, I looked all over my trailer for another sticker/number and didn't see anything. I did call Mastercraft, and they are unwilling to give me the VIN number because I don't have any paperwork with the number on it. The seller (3rd owner) lives in a state that doesn't title trailers, or require any type of number for trailer registration, so none of his paperwork reference a VIN or serial number. I am so frustrated, I can't even legally take my new boat out of my driveway because I can't get a license plate for my trailer. Not sure what to do.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks guys, I looked all over my trailer for another sticker/number and didn't see anything. I did call Mastercraft, and they are unwilling to give me the VIN number because I don't have any paperwork with the number on it. The seller (3rd owner) lives in a state that doesn't title trailers, or require any type of number for trailer registration, so none of his paperwork reference a VIN or serial number. I am so frustrated, I can't even legally take my new boat out of my driveway because I can't get a license plate for my trailer. Not sure what to do.

Wow, I figured they could match the HID to the trailer that was sold with the boat.

Any chance the 3rd owner has 2nd owners contact info still? Are there any decals on the boat that might suggest what dealership sold it new?

ddanenberger
04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Does your state allow for homemade trailers? If so draw up a sketch and have DMV issue you a vin sticker and title.

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Does your state allow for homemade trailers? If so draw up a sketch and have DMV issue you a vin sticker and title.

That sounds a bit illegal.

CruisinGA
04-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Nah it's not.

In GA, if you want to register a trailer that doesn't have a VIN you must have it inspected by law enforcement, and they can issue a VIN and sign a form. You take the form to the tag office and get your tag. This process is typically geared towards homemade trailers, but is applicable for any trailer without a VIN.

In fact, I am having my jet ski trailer inspected this afternoon by a Ga State Trooper so I can register it. No big deal.

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Nah it's not.

In GA, if you want to register a trailer that doesn't have a VIN you must have it inspected by law enforcement, and they can issue a VIN and sign a form. You take the form to the tag office and get your tag. This process is typically geared towards homemade trailers, but is applicable for any trailer without a VIN.

In fact, I am having my jet ski trailer inspected this afternoon by a Ga State Trooper so I can register it. No big deal.

I understand the process of getting a VIN issued to a new home made trailer, I built one for a friend. In GA in fact. Getting the form and VIN tag is pretty easy. What I don't think is ok is to take and old trailer that already had a VIN and try to put a new on one it. Since it must be inspected by a LEO it just might get someone in trouble even though we know it's not a stolen trailer.

Rockman
04-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I understand the process of getting a VIN issued to a new home made trailer, I built one for a friend. In GA in fact. Getting the form and VIN tag is pretty easy. What I don't think is ok is to take and old trailer that already had a VIN and try to put a new on one it. Since it must be inspected by a LEO it just might get someone in trouble even though we know it's not a stolen trailer.

If it had a VIN, then where the hell is it if there are no identifying markings on the trailer? :confused:

Take a screw driver, scratch in an 8 digit number with your initials at the end, go to the DMV, tell then you have a home made trailer with XXXXXXXXX-XXX as the identifying VIN Number and they will title it.

That's great that GA does what you say, but not all states are the same.

I bought a used "home made" snowmobile trailer and had no problem getting a title and plate.

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 09:34 AM
If it had a VIN, then where the hell is it if there are no identifying markings on the trailer? :confused:

Take a screw driver, scratch in an 8 digit number with your initials at the end, go to the DMV, tell then you have a home made trailer with XXXXXXXXX-XXX as the identifying VIN Number and they will title it.

That's great that GA does what you say, but not all states are the same.

I bought a used "home made" snowmobile trailer and had no problem getting a title and plate.

On the older MC trailers they had a silver decal that would wash out over time and you can no long make out the VIN.

I'm not sure what the laws are in his state.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2012, 09:40 AM

MC won't give you the number because you don't have the number:confused: What Midwest state are you in. I have some experience with this in MN.

Legolamb
04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
I am in Illinois. I investigated the route of homebuilt with a new assigned serial number, but found out if the trailer doesn't resemble a homebuilt (which it's not) then the application will be denied.

VIN sticker is still on the trailer, but illegible. I am losing my excitement about my new boat.

:cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I had a MN trailer that was never titled as they original owner lived on a lake and just used the trailer two times a year to go 1/4 to the launch. It had a number stamped in the underside of the tongue without any name of manufacturer. DOT had me take pictures of the trailer from 4 sides and they filled out a short form and gave me a title. At this point I would consider buying a stamp set and stamping in your own number (assuming that IL has the same ability to assign a title as MN).

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=stamp

ddanenberger
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I am in Illinois also, I have done it a couple of times for a ATV trailer and a jet ski trailer. did you get is from a state that does not title trailers? If so you can have Sec. of State issue a vin off of a bill of sale.

CantRepeat
04-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I am in Illinois. I investigated the route of homebuilt with a new assigned serial number, but found out if the trailer doesn't resemble a homebuilt (which it's not) then the application will be denied.

VIN sticker is still on the trailer, but illegible. I am losing my excitement about my new boat.

:cool:

What about calling MC and finding out which dealer they sold that boat to and then call that dealer and see if they might still have the records for the VIN?

Legolamb
04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Guys, thanks for all the responses and help, I think I got it straightened out. Terry from Mastercraft was able to help me out, I just re-phrased some of my questions and he produced a VIN, Woo Hoo!

Thanks again to everyone, I am very happy this resource exists. I already have lots more questions pertaining to my boat.

Dave

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Good deal. Back to being happy with your new boat. :toast:

ricford
04-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Nice. Glad you're happy again. Like I said Mastercraft was very helpful with mine.