PDA

View Full Version : 2006 x-15 rudder issue

tstoll
04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I just purchased an 06 x-15 and the starboard trailing edge of the rudder is filed quite a bit and the port trailing edge is filed less then the starboard side. The problem is the boat will dive to the right extremely fast if you let go of the wheel, and at a certain point when turning right there is an audible click and thats when the steering wheel will take off to the right if not holding on to it. i understand the boat will always go to the right but this is unsafe at best. Is a new rudder in order or steering cable?

MIskier
04-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Someone that didnt know what they were doing tried to file your rudder at some point so that the rudder would "load" up. This is often done on tournament ski boats so that the driver has an easier time staying straight in the slalom course with a skier in tow. Unfortunately there is no real reason to do it to a boat like the x-15, if it is severe the only cure is to replace the rudder.

tstoll
04-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Would this account for the click? It is not smooth when turning from left to right.

CantRepeat
04-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Someone that didnt know what they were doing tried to file your rudder at some point so that the rudder would "load" up. This is often done on tournament ski boats so that the driver has an easier time staying straight in the slalom course with a skier in tow. Unfortunately there is no real reason to do it to a boat like the x-15, if it is severe the only cure is to replace the rudder.

Yeah, I wouldn't think anyone would be grinding on an X15 to try and load it up for slalom runs.

My X30 has a noticeable pull to the right and is more difficult to turn left. It has no grinding on the rudder.

Do you have some photos?

MIskier
04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't think anyone would be grinding on an X15 to try and load it up for slalom runs.

My X30 has a noticeable pull to the right and is more difficult to turn left. It has no grinding on the rudder.

Do you have some photos?

All late model MC boats tend to pull to the right due to the prop rotation and the slight off set of the rudder, the offset of the rudder is also what causes the difference in turning left vs. right. This pulling should not be severe as the op has stated.