PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Stars and Stripes Steering

Ypsi-Rider
04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Hello Everyone. Last fall I bought my 85 Stars and Stripes. After driving 100' I realized that the steering had all sorts of play in it as the boat would wander without input. This spring I replaced the clamp block and centered the steering. I finally got out for the first ride of the season yesterday. The steering feels much better but it is super stiff. The aftermarket clamp block that I installed was a little too large for the cable so I had to wrap a very thin strip of stainless steel around the tube to take up the space. I'm wondering if I pinched the cable with my "engineered" setup. With the old worn out clamp block the steering was very easy. I tried greasing as much of the cable as I could get to but it didn't seem to help. Do you think I need to replace the steering cable?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2012, 04:59 PM
How was the steering effort before your work on the clamp block. These cables don't last forever, are easy to replace, and don't cost too much. I replaced my cable after the first year. Should have replaced it after the first day. The wheel should turn easily.

nascar
04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
I have owned a 77,85 , 92 ProStar 190 and now a 94 proStar 190 , On Sunday my wife and I were talking about our Mastercrafts , and she stated that the 85 drove like a dream . Of the four boats she picked the 85 for the best steering boat . I would also replace the steering cable .

Cloaked
04-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Steering cable. You need the 17' cable length for the 85.

or to really impress your wife, convert to rack & pinion.

millpondkid
04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correct but if your refering to the "tube" in which the cable enters and exits toward the rudder that would be the guide tube. I just posted a thread myself a while back about my 84 steering sticking. I removed the guide tube and cable completly and found a rust buildup inside the guide tube which in turn made the cable stick. I cleaned and greased the inside of the guide tube and it works great now. My post will be in the maintenance section page 2 of where your post is now located.