PDA

View Full Version : how long should motor run before water exits exhaust?

Indiana
04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
hi, hope im posting under right section. noob here with 79 ss. first time starting after dewinterizing. drain plugs back in, new plugs and impeller and water hooked up. my question is how should it take for water to start exiting exhaust? after 10 or so seconds still no water then i shut it off. thanks!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2012, 02:50 PM
It will take longer than that......might be closer to a minute or so. What method are you using to supply the engine with water? If you are using the bucket method, you can see the water level in the bucket change as the water is being sucked up by the raw water pump.

Indiana
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
its working now. i hooked a hose directly to it. turned it on un till could hear it fill up un til it finally came out exhaust and fired her up. thanks man!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear you got it working. How about some pics of this classic?

Indiana
04-16-2012, 04:40 PM
its this boat. i bought it back in november. fired her up first time today and she ran like a top!
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44199

any advise on the best way to change the oil on this?

1redTA
04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
If you have a drain hose run it down thru the plug in front of the engine, warm up the engine then drain oil out of the hose, replace bolt on drain hose and add your favorite oil and filter

oldairboater
04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
My water pump is always has a new fresh impeller every spring first thing. Screens are clean and water has been back flushed. Everytime I start my boat I usually raise the cowling after blower has cleared the bilge. Then I start the engine. I get to hear it, see it, and I reach over to the intake raw water hose and feel for coolness. Coolness means that raw water is going towards the thermostat neck.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Nice purchase. I don't think your boat is new enough to have an oil drain hose attached to the oil pan. There are a few options, most of which require a suction pump of some sort to draw the oil out through the dipstick tube. The cheapest method is a hand pump. There are pumps that attach to a drill (don't care for these too much. SKIDIM as well as a million other places sell extractor pumps http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1054