PDA

View Full Version : Another fuel pump thread

gatorguy
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
My pump is working great. That's all I wanted to say.

J/K, my real question is this: Boat is '97 PS205, original fuel pump (not in the tank), I'm planning to go to Lake Powell again this summer for the week. We will be 30 miles by boat from the marina. Do I need to worry about bringing a backup pump? (we will have wave runners and houseboat). I'm also going for a week to Broken Bow in OK, but there we will be camping on the shore, so I'm not too worried about getting stranded.

My pump is working fine, and the boat is running strong. I even picked up 2mph at the start of this season after changing my plugs and wires. That was even with old fuel.

mikeg205
04-16-2012, 01:28 PM
mine is a '95 same setup...562 hours...no problems... have a friend with your boat '97 205 same set up...no problems... Only thing I can think of is check your fuel pump screen before you and make sure its clean... fuel line work in dry dock so much easier...

agarabaghi
04-16-2012, 01:40 PM
not sure if my pump was original, but im at almost 1400 hours...

mikeg205
04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
the outside the gas tank design seems much better.... and cheaper to fix... :D when needed....

bturner2
04-16-2012, 02:27 PM
The fuel pump on my 95 Maristar went out at about 600 hours. And of course it did it when we had a ton of people out for the weekend. I was able to find one at the local NAPA after the guy behind the desk did a cross reference. It took about 3 hours out of the day but at least we were able to salvage the day. Moral of the story is that when you least expect it.... expect it.

I carry a spare for my newer 07 X2 but don't think I would for the older set up. The older set up is much more reliable.

Honkity Hank
04-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Really, do we need another fuel pump thread? It is already a pain the tush to search and find meaningful tech in the half dozen threads we already have on this subject.

To your question. Fuel pumps are not normally a maintenance item, typically people use them until they fail, and failure rate is very low (except for MC intank pumps apparently). There are many other mechanical pieces on your boat that fall into the same camp, you just have to decide how likely a failure is and the consequence of it. I would not replace it, but I would service the boat,change the fuel filter, etc. If you are worried about buy a spare, it is not like you it is an expensive item anyway.

gatorguy
04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Really, do we need another fuel pump thread? It is already a pain the tush to search and find meaningful tech in the half dozen threads we already have on this subject.

Dude quit your boob'en. I'm sorry my use of TT doesn't fit your needs, but I guess that's what you get when you participate in a community forum.

Honkity Hank
04-16-2012, 07:17 PM
So you think we need another fuel pump thread? I am just asking why not use one of the existing fuel pump threads to ask your question. It isn't like this has not been discussed before. Search is your friend.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=798403&highlight=fuel+pump+spare#post798403 Post number 7.

mikeg205
04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
If you want to have piece of mind...clean the fuel screen before you leave and add one of these before the fuel pump... http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL3003_0331335199 - and get two of these.... http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL3003_0331335199 to clamps it on...