PDA

View Full Version : Nose plugs

CruisinGA
04-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Anyone use em? My sinuses have been F'ed the last two weekends after deep water starting.

I tried nose plugs last season, helped, but were a pain and didn't look very good in pictures :D . Eventually they ripped off my zipper.

I can usually get by on the first deepwater start of the run by exhaling, but after that I can't get enough breath out.

Looking for tips from you experienced footers.

Jerseydave
04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
In the past I used a nose clip on a rubber strap for my deepwater starts. Once I got up I took it off my nose and the strap would just hang around my neck (so I didn't look like a total mouth-breathing toolbag!) :D

Tri4X2
04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I love the mouth breathing comment. Awesome!!!

barefoot
04-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I started using a nose plug last year because my sinuses became distorted from doing deep water starts. All the s$it that gets pushed up your nose can't be good. I always relied on the air bubble that's created when you tip your head back. Got to the point where I couldn't breath, let alone sleep at night.

I usually pull my plug when I'm up and footin'.

ahhudgins
04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
I've never tipped my head back when I do deep water starts. I arch my back but I try to tuck my chin into my chest and slowly blow air out of my nose. My driver(s) know that when I'm ready to go and I say "OK", they need to wait about 2 seconds before hitting the throttle because I take a HUGE gulp of air so I can blow the air out of my nose.

I still get some water in my sinuses from time to time but I've never resorted to the plugs. My wife knows to hit the throttle pretty hard so I'm not dragging in the water. I'd rather be pulled up to hard than too slow and drink half of the lake.:D

JohnnyB
04-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Small piece of perforated medical tape. Fold a tab on one end to make it easy to pull off once you are up

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

sp00ky
04-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I've never tipped my head back when I do deep water starts. I arch my back but I try to tuck my chin into my chest and slowly blow air out of my nose. My driver(s) know that when I'm ready to go and I say "OK", they need to wait about 2 seconds before hitting the throttle because I take a HUGE gulp of air so I can blow the air out of my nose.

I still get some water in my sinuses from time to time but I've never resorted to the plugs. My wife knows to hit the throttle pretty hard so I'm not dragging in the water. I'd rather be pulled up to hard than too slow and drink half of the lake.:D

This is exactly what backstroke swimmers do when they kick under water after the start. Watch the olympics to how they do it. I know their moving the opposite way but it creates an air pocket.

davidstan
04-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I always use nose plugs because of sinus issues when I take in a few drops of lake water. Yes the fam makes fun of me but they all weigh 120 lbs and pop right up :)

CoFooter
04-17-2012, 01:11 AM
If the other ideas don't work, learn a tumble up start. Its easy once you get the hang of it long line and keeps 90% of the water out of your face.

skibrain
04-17-2012, 02:42 AM
I always wear a nose clip. Speedo wire-type stays put.
I have tried numerous start techniques but always get some water in my nose after 6-8 starts in a morning. Eliminates sinus infections. Reduces snoring. Improves marital relations.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/5801146/108818837.jpg

atlfootr
04-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Start doing back deeps and YOU won't need no stink'n nose plugs! :D

mzimme
04-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Start doing back deeps and YOU won't need no stink'n nose plugs! :D

Are those cheater boots you have on there?? ;)

areamike
04-20-2012, 08:36 PM
3 words.

One hand deepstart.

Hold your nose with your non-dominant hand just like you would when jumping in the lake. Then say Hit it!

After the initial shot of water, you can let go of your nose and grab onto the handle. My cousins and buddy do it all the time. It takes some getting used to because starting while only holding the handle with one hand causes you to go a little sideways at first, but you straighten right out.

tex
04-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Teach yourself bomb outs and you won't need plugs!