PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire With a New Trailer

Lucky26
04-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Does anybody know if a 2012 Trailer is supposed to come with a spare or not? Just noticed that mine did not and will be calling my dealer when they open on Tuesday to find out. I know for the price charged for the trailer it should!

-V-
04-16-2012, 07:53 AM
To my understanding, it's an option.

Read post #4 from Jim at http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46803

MattsCraft
04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
It is an option, see build a boat.

Lucky26
04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks. I read that right after I posted.

DemolitionMan
04-16-2012, 08:59 AM
It's an option.

Jeff d
04-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Nice of them to nickle and dime you when buying a $100k+ boat for something that probably costs them less than $125.

Jerseydave
04-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Nice of them to nickle and dime you when buying a $100k+ boat for something that probably costs them less than $125.

Aluminum wheel and tire prob cost more like $350 their cost. I think most boat companies/boat trailer companies charge extra for a spare (I know Load-Rite does)

Hey I bought a new $51K BMW for the wife last year and it doesn't even have a spare at all.
(run-flat tires)

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Aluminum wheel and tire prob cost more like $350 their cost. I think most boat companies/boat trailer companies charge extra for a spare (I know Load-Rite does)

Hey I bought a new $51K BMW for the wife last year and it doesn't even have a spare at all.
(run-flat tires)

No way they are paying $350.

mzimme
04-16-2012, 10:06 AM

(run-flat tires)

I can tell you for a fact that an aluminum wheel costs nowhere close to even half of 350 bucks. My family has been in the aluminum manufacturing business for over 50 years, and actually has made parts for PCM since the 60's. The tire will be far more expensive than an aluminum wheel.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2012, 10:11 AM
I can tell you for a fact that an aluminum wheel costs nowhere close to even half of 350 bucks. My family has been in the aluminum manufacturing business for over 50 years, and actually has made parts for PCM since the 60's. The tire will be far more expensive than an aluminum wheel.

The tire should be pretty close to the same cost as a high end tire. Been in the tire business for a long time and worked for a wheel manufacturer for a bunch of years.

mzimme
04-16-2012, 10:14 AM
The tire should be pretty close to the same cost as a high end tire. Been in the tire business for a long time and worked for a wheel manufacturer for a bunch of years.

I guess it depends what we're talking about as far as size goes too. A 20" wheel is much different than a little 14"er. Also, is it cast, billet, etc.

Cool factoid though, every one of you on this board with a PCM motor in it has a part made by the family business. :cool:

If you look at the flywheel cover, that piece of aluminum on the stern side of the motor where the trans mates up is that part.

bcd
04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Spare tire option was $660 if I remember right for my 2012 X2 with the std rim. I bought a mounting bracket from my dealer, and plain rim and tire online, and Mastercraft tire cover, which cost me a total of around $200.

I also installed my own sub and tower speakers for half of their cost. If they want to have high priced "profitable" options, they're going to have to deal with not everyone paying for them, although I'm probably in the minority from how I hear most boats get optioned out.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Spare tire option was $660 if I remember right for my 2012 X2 with the std rim. I bought a mounting bracket from my dealer, and plain rim and tire online, and Mastercraft tire cover, which cost me a total of around $200.

I also installed my own sub and tower speakers for half of their cost. If they want to have high priced "profitable" options, they're going to have to deal with not everyone paying for them, although I'm probably in the minority from how I hear most boats get optioned out.

Nice way to save some money on something you really don't want to use.

Jim@BAWS
04-16-2012, 02:52 PM

I really don't think they are nickel and dimming you to death

For example 1800 boats produced with 1800 trailers at $150 per tire and rim lets say....
That is $270,000 worth of tires and rims....would you give that away??? I don't think so

The NEWER spare tire option on the trailer is inclusive of the NEW mount under trailer and a tire and rim...costs more to produce and manufactuer

Jim@BAWS

Phntmski
04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Don't new boat's come with dripless seal? Will a bilge pump soon cost extra?

Phntmski
04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
That said, I had to push pretty hard to get a spair included with the 1 new boat I did buy. It's just the way it is...

SilviaMan
04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
This is a bit off topic, we have 24' car hauler, didn't come with a spare. So before taking it to Iowa we put a spare tire (loose tire only) in it figured we would be ok if something happened. On the way home while getting fuel we heard a leak... long story short, one of the rims had a crack in it. The crack ran length wise on the edge of the drop center. Luckily we were able to buy a wheel and tire from a trailer place just down the highway.

AZX45OD
04-16-2012, 03:50 PM
My new 2012 did not come with a spare. As part of the deal I had the dealer include a tire and rim (just a generic chrome rim) with a spare tire mount.

bkblaida
04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Not only is it just common sense to travel with a spare, in many states it is the law. In WI if you have a flat and the trooper sees that you do not have a spare, he is within the law to have the trailer towed away......you pay the fine, the tow and the lot fee.....makes the price of a spare tire and rim look a little more reasonable.

billr
04-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Priced a new tow vehicle lately? Spare tires are options.

bobx1
04-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I have always had to buy a spare on every trailer I have purchased (utility, multiple boat trailers, jet ski trailers, etc.).

Personally, I think they should bump the price of the trailer up and include the spare but it is what it is.

On a similar note, I purchased a new Pontoon boat last year and without asking, it came with a spare tire and mount, 2 packs of the cheap life jackets (I think 12 in all), 2 quality dock lines, 2 Taylormade fenders, cheap anchor package, and a full tank of gas. Maybe $300 - $400 in gear and gas was thrown in without me asking and that minor investment on the dealer's part sure put a big smile on my face.

Little things do go a long way....

LouisvilleFan
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Spare tires are always a last minute negotiation tool for me...we start talking numbers then I do the "will you throw in Spare tire and some beer cozies?

get's them free every time!

Lucky26
04-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I blew it. Maybe in 20 years when I buy another boat I will get a free spare.

Lucky26
04-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Ok, I ordered a rim and a tire for 360 bucks from Superior Tire in Orange, Texas. Just for future information anyone neededing to change out a tire on a MC trailer like mine will need to use a 3/4 inch deep socket. A four way tire tool will not work in the holes for the lug nuts. I suggest getting new lugs that are extended.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
A thin-wall deep socket and a power wrench are the ticket.

Lucky26
04-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Is that power wrench and socket made by Gorilla?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Is that power wrench and socket made by Gorilla?

This is the one I carry. Very similar.