PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Question

T Scott
08-15-2005, 09:09 PM
OK, guys quick question. Used the boat all weekend (2000 MC 205V) no problems whatsoever. This afternoon, went out to the boat and had what seemed to be a weak battery because the solenoid just clicked. Pulled out the almost brand new battery and charged it up and now everything but the guages and ignition seem to work fine. (ie ballast tanks, stereo, bilges, etc.) However, I seem to have no power to the other side of the dash. When I turn the key to the run position, nothing happens at all, no movement to any of the guages, etc. I checked all the circuit breakers under the dash and they all were un-tripped and I checked the big red reset button on the motor and it seemed OK too. I was thinking that the battery just crapped out, but wouldn't I have at least cycling of the guages and then a low volt reading on the volt guage? I'm sure it is a loose wire or tripped circuit somewhere. Any ideas?

PendO
08-15-2005, 10:03 PM
OK, guys quick question. Used the boat all weekend (2000 MC 205V) no problems whatsoever. This afternoon, went out to the boat and had what seemed to be a weak battery because the solenoid just clicked. Pulled out the almost brand new battery and charged it up and now everything but the guages and ignition seem to work fine. (ie ballast tanks, stereo, bilges, etc.) However, I seem to have no power to the other side of the dash. When I turn the key to the run position, nothing happens at all, no movement to any of the guages, etc. I checked all the circuit breakers under the dash and they all were un-tripped and I checked the big red reset button on the motor and it seemed OK too. I was thinking that the battery just crapped out, but wouldn't I have at least cycling of the guages and then a low volt reading on the volt guage? I'm sure it is a loose wire or tripped circuit somewhere. Any ideas?

wierd indeed! just BUMP'ing your post back to the top.

T Scott
08-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Yeah, it has me stumped as well. I hate electrical issues!

JimN
08-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Is the battery to the boat and has it been depleted completely in the time you have had the boat? How many times? If a battery is totally dead, it loses about 30% of its capacity. It loses this each time it's killed. Also, over time, the plates slough off lead sulphate. This accumulates at the bottom, keeps the battery from accepting a charge and it discharges a lot faster. Dirty or loose terminals are a big problem, too.

I would take the battery in for testing. Not just the clamp-on tester, but the test where the battery is charged and then tested. If this tests good, then the alternator needs to be tested. If you have a lot of condensation on the motor due to the motor box being closed, the alternator and starter tend to fail.