PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on my ski?

Jerseydave
04-15-2012, 08:03 PM
I've had this ski for about 20 years, and it's still in great condition. I've never been on anything newer so I don't know how much it's holding me back. (I quit skiing for several years but now I want to get back into it recreationally) I may run the course again in the future as well, but only at 15 off, maybe 22 off if I get there.

The bindings are too tight, and the ski is heavy. Should I look for something newer? If so, what? I'm 5'11", 175 lbs. Looking for used perhaps, not looking to spend a ton of money.

Or should I keep this ski and get some newer bindings? I actually like this ski except for the extra weight of it.

Suggestions?

I know ski-it-again always has nice skis for sale, I just don't know where to start.

Jerseydave
04-15-2012, 08:05 PM
oops, forgot the pics.

mikeg205
04-15-2012, 08:09 PM
My 2 favorites - comp free ride for free riding and I have seen people run courses with it... and the coefficient x....I like the dual boot set up for deep water starts...but that's me. Comp free ride is nice and has minimal adjustments so you can goose up its it's turn performance a bit... plus its a nice when the water is not quite perfect and runs well at about 26-32 mph. I want a coefficient x to get a bit more acceleration and more agility into the turns... and these ski's don't cost a ton. A comp free ride ..you can get in the hi $300's and the coefficient for about $800's...those are both ski's and bindings....just my opinion...I am an intermediate skier and don't have time to train to compete...

tommy panfish
04-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey Dave I ski on the same setup, been wondering the same thing. Been looking at Ski it Again a lot too. Anybody have any more input for us?

mikeg205
04-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Interestingly enough the technology does not look much different. The bindings look like the current Animal Bindings. I'm a big HO fan... That pic looks like the Coefficient sold now.

http://hosports.com/WATER-SKIS/Men-s/Coefficient-X

http://hosports.com/water_ski_boots/animal

comp free ride has a double bevel in the 2011...looks like it's gone in the 2012.

http://hosports.com/WATER-SKIS/Men-s/Comp-Freeride

Free ride is a better ski for the days the water is a bit choppy. I would have both the comp and coefficient if I had the means...or no college tuition payments...lol

ntidsl
04-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I recently went from a 2005 HO to a 2010 and the technology change was $%##$%^$ amazing!!! Lighter, less drag, faster, beter in turn, made skiing more enjoyable!!! Make the investment in a new ski...best $1000 you'll spend...

See my threah on the Synicate S1.

My advice...search long and hard for a new ski but 1 or 2 years old...left over! My problem with ski it again is that you never know how the previous owner tweaked the fin and wing. Find a good dealer and make sure they have the fin at factory settings and enjoy!

ricford
04-15-2012, 11:58 PM
I love the HO too, but if you're ski is 20 years old you owe it to yourself to update. There have been significant improvements in the last 2 decades. If you can find a place to demo a couple of skis that would be the best, but I agree with the last post, the Syndicate is an awesome ski.

19_Skier
04-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Based on what you will be doing, the syndicate is a bit over kill IMHO - awesome ski but more than you need really. I'm with mgorczak1's suggestions, just bought a coefficient x for this season so can't really comment on it yet, got a steal of a deal at the boat show $630 with bindings for 2011 model but they messed up their shipping at the warehouse and sent me a 2012!

Go with the basis or attack bindings, lots of complaints about the animals and peoples feet getting sore while skiing. Another option would be the Radar Senate, lots of positive feedback regarding this ski and radar bindings.

at your height and weight, believe that would put you on a 65" or 67" comp/coefficient. 67" probably a better choice for stability and chop in open water.

Patrick
04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
You can take a ride on mine (67 2010 Strada). We can make the bindings work one way or another, or just deal with a little wiggle room for a demo. Plenty of time to swap things in the half hour that Tim skis. It won't be perfect but maybe you can get an idea of what differences there might be before springing for a new ski.

MIskier
04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
A 67in Radar Senate/Vice would be a great ski as well as the HO Coefficient X or Triumph. There are plenty of them for sale on ski-it-again at good prices. I do not agree with 19 skier about the fin, as long as you can read a tape measure and a caliper you can set a fine back to factory in a few minutes.

As for bindings Radar has the best setup out of the box as far as comfort and safety. My current set up is a rear toe loop and a Radar Strada front boot and I have had no problems with safe releases. Over the years HO has had some problems with their binding designs being prone to breaking ankles, the animal was one of the worst, but I cant speak on the safety of their newer designs that borrow a lot of the design detail from Radar.

Ski-me
04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I had the older ski compared to yours, HO Limited TRX 9.8 with the 97 boots.

I see that you have the 98 boots and they look almost identical to mine. That boot will most likely fit a lot of skis out there and in particular, HO's. I found a used Goode 9700 and put my 97's on it. I've skied it for a few years now and the performance is definitley noticable. I bought a newer pair of Animals at a swap meet and I must say, I liked my 97's better. Animals were just too uncomfortable (red and white ones if that helps with the era).

Now, I've been trying the course a little (last year) and if I sit in those boots too long, I end up cramping pretty good. I was not use to being in that boot for such a long time. You know, run the course, rest, run the course, rest, etc. I finally had to just kick the ski off it was hurting so much.

I just recently upgraded to some Radar Strada 2011 boots and am exicted to try them out. They seem much more comfortable.

But, bottom line, you can step into this purchase in phases and just look for the ski. Then, maybe next year, upgrade your boots. It sounds like we ski similar, 34 mph maybe 15 off or so.

Good luck on the hunt.....it's worth upgrading a little.

19_Skier
04-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I recently went from a 2005 HO to a 2010 and the technology change was $%##$%^$ amazing!!! Lighter, less drag, faster, beter in turn, made skiing more enjoyable!!! Make the investment in a new ski...best $1000 you'll spend...

See my threah on the Synicate S1.

My advice...search long and hard for a new ski but 1 or 2 years old...left over! My problem with ski it again is that you never know how the previous owner tweaked the fin and wing. Find a good dealer and make sure they have the fin at factory settings and enjoy!

A 67in Radar Senate/Vice would be a great ski as well as the HO Coefficient X or Triumph. There are plenty of them for sale on ski-it-again at good prices. I do not agree with 19 skier about the fin, as long as you can read a tape measure and a caliper you can set a fine back to factory in a few minutes.

As for bindings Radar has the best setup out of the box as far as comfort and safety. My current set up is a rear toe loop and a Radar Strada front boot and I have had no problems with safe releases. Over the years HO has had some problems with their binding designs being prone to breaking ankles, the animal was one of the worst, but I cant speak on the safety of their newer designs that borrow a lot of the design detail from Radar.

Hey! Don't drag me into a fin adjustment argument :D;)