PDA

View Full Version : Engine Options

ski_patrol_72
08-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi there guys, we are in the process of getting ready to order a new ride for delivery early spring 2006. What we would like to know from people that have experience out there, is whats the main difference and opinions are between the L-18 and the LQ9. I know theres not much HP difference between the two. Just would like to get some opions between the them. Oh ya, they will be going in a new X-10

mcprostar197
08-15-2005, 08:13 PM
The L-18 would be HUGE on that boat! (atleast I think it would be)

ski_king
08-15-2005, 08:16 PM
For me, I would go with the MCX. My opinion is the LQ-9 only gives you 35 HP for the extra $4K or so.
As far as the L18 goes, I have no input.

mcprostar197
08-15-2005, 08:18 PM
For me, I would go with the MCX. My opinion is the LQ-9 only gives you 35 HP for the extra $4K or so.
As far as the L18 goes, I have no input.

I agree with that. Especially because a couple people on here have really not liked the performance from their LQ-9s.

ski_patrol_72
08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
But isnt the LQ-9 have a closed cooling system, and will that be better a river?

MinnX-10
08-15-2005, 08:36 PM
I can speak for the LQ-9 on the x-10... that is my set up and performance wise, we have been thrilled!!! It is a closed cooling system as mentioned which has it benefits... I have been on x-10's with the MCX and there is a noticable difference... We use our boat mostly for wakeboarding but when we do ski, the low end torque on the LQ-9 isn't quite as good as the others, but fully loaded (tanks, crew etc.) we still get to 30 in a very short order... if you have any other questions, please feel free to post or PM me...

Jerseydave
08-15-2005, 09:01 PM
I have the MCX in my 230VRS. Plenty of power, top speed (49) and I feel that this engine will "live" longer than most other choices.
Oh, yeah don't forget gas is now $2.50 and up these days :eek:

bsimpson
08-15-2005, 09:27 PM
I have an X-Star with the L-18. I think both engines would be an overkill for the X-10. The MCX would be the way to go. The HP difference between the LQ-9 and the L-18 is considerable but the difference between the LQ-9 and the MCX is minimal. I have also heard that the LQ-9 is a gas hog.

Also keep in mind the purpose of the boat. If you intend on buying an X-10 for the combined purpose of skiing and wakeboarding then the L-18 is definitely not the engine for you. It is too heavy and will increase an otherwise skiable wake. Compare other boat manufacturer engine options and I doubt you will find many that offer the power of the MCX as the stock engine. It is definitely powerfull enough.

I went through the same questions over the past two years. I started looking at the X-10, then X-30, and finally the X-Star. Once you get there you may as well splurge on an L-18 because the total cost is rediculous anyway. I'd save your money for other options.

PendO
08-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi there guys, we are in the process of getting ready to order a new ride for delivery early spring 2006. What we would like to know from people that have experience out there, is whats the main difference and opinions are between the L-18 and the LQ9. I know theres not much HP difference between the two. Just would like to get some opions between the them. Oh ya, they will be going in a new X-10

My :twocents: if you are thinking new and the choice is between the LQ9 and L18, one of the benefits of the L18 is that you do not have to burn premium fuel and the low end torque is better. Simmilarly, my dad's Mustang GT was nice, my Cobra was better (until I met my wife and sold it to make room for car seats:() ... horsepower is FUN, but what good is horsepower without low end torque. Pimp that ride and put an L18 in your X-10 if you plan to keep it for a long time!).

Ask yourself, who ever says at the end of the day "I wish I had less horsepower;)" We have the L18 in our X-Star, but have been pulled behind the X-Star with the LQ9 and it was great, never boated enough with the LQ9 to really have a good comparison

Caveat - I assume you are using it for 97% wakeboarding/wakeskating/wakesurfing (I'll be the weight of the engine would also be a plus for wakesurfing).

X45owner
08-16-2005, 11:15 AM
I have an X45 with the LQ9. I'm very happy with the engine. I spoke with many mechanics about my options before I purchased ou boat. All had hesitations about the L18 and I didn't think the MCX had enough HP for my boat. Many unanswered questions for me to spend that kind of money on the L18. Many seemed to think that Inmar hadn't worked the bugs out of the L18 engine yet. I had two friends that had Indmars Big block blow up the first week out on their Ultras. Inmar may have corrcted these isuues recently. Also, based on mechenics opinions, the LQ9 is built better for performance and longetivity. Something to do with four main bolts rather than two etc. They also mentioned that this is the same engine used in most racing cars. The closed cooling, more HP, engineering and Cadillac logo seemed to be better for resale value. Not that I will be selling anytime soon! Whatever engine you decide to use do some research on prop size. This has seemed to be an issue with many owners with all types of engines. Keep in mind whatt you are looking for, torque or top end speed. This will change the prop size needed.

Prostar19
08-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Here is a little more info.
MCX 350 HP uses 87 oct or better
LQ9 385 HP must use 92 oct gas
L18 450 HP uses 87 oct or better.

The X10 performs really well with the MCX. With The LQ9 you will get more top end but will lose a little in the hole shot. The L18 will be better all around top and low end but pricy and thursty.