PDA

View Full Version : Can't get 3rd piece of GFO packing in.

Jeff d
04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
'00 230 VRS. Replacing the packing with GFO since the old conventional packing is leaking. I assume it's original to the boat.

Anyway, thus far it hasn't been too bad of a job. Got the first 3 pieces in without any problems, tightening/removing the nut to seat each one along the way. On the 4th one I've spent quite a while trying to cram it in far enough to get the first thread to catch on the nut but have been unsuccessful.

In the FAQ the post by East Texas Skier says he only uses 3 pieces so I'm inclined to just pull the fourth one out and finish up. The problem is that I've got a 1 1/8 shaft and therefore 3/16" packing. His guide was more geared towards the direct drive, 1" shaft, 1/4" packing though.

So, do I need to pull them all out and start over trying to get the first through third ones crammed in there better? Or can I just proceed with 3 pieces?

Thanks,
Jeff

LaRue
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
I only used 3 also working fine for 2 years

Cloaked
04-14-2012, 09:45 PM
'00 230 VRS. Replacing the packing with GFO since the old conventional packing is leaking. I assume it's original to the boat.

Anyway, thus far it hasn't been too bad of a job. Got the first 3 pieces in without any problems, tightening/removing the nut to seat each one along the way. On the 4th one I've spent quite a while trying to cram it in far enough to get the first thread to catch on the nut but have been unsuccessful.

In the FAQ the post by East Texas Skier says he only uses 3 pieces so I'm inclined to just pull the fourth one out and finish up. The problem is that I've got a 1 1/8 shaft and therefore 3/16" packing. His guide was more geared towards the direct drive, 1" shaft, 1/4" packing though.

So, do I need to pull them all out and start over trying to get the first through third ones crammed in there better? Or can I just proceed with 3 pieces?

Thanks,
JeffNo need to remove and reinstall. Nothing is going to change. Leave the last piece out and tighten it down. Same here as to past exprience of the same nature.

gweaver
04-14-2012, 10:52 PM
I've got a 1 1/8 shaft on my Prostar. 3 pieces of packing was all I used. Rotate each seam about 90 degrees and you're good to go.
G

93Prostar190
04-15-2012, 09:25 AM
On my old slot I used GFO and only used 3 pieces .....

Jeff d
04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Results on this weren't so good. I launched the boat and was getting a drip every few seconds even with the engine off. So, I snugged it down just enough to stop the dripping. Then I drove it and the nut got pretty hot. Not so hot that I couldn't touch it but hot enough that my hand would get uncomfortable on it if I kept it on there in good contact for 20 seconds or so.

I loosened it up but could never find that spot where it only dripped while underway but not when sitting still. I may see if I can get that 4th piece in there now then just barely snug it down, let it leak and "break in", then revisit the tightness after a few hours or runtime.

Cloaked
04-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Results on this weren't so good. I launched the boat and was getting a drip every few seconds even with the engine off. So, I snugged it down just enough to stop the dripping. Then I drove it and the nut got pretty hot. Not so hot that I couldn't touch it but hot enough that my hand would get uncomfortable on it if I kept it on there in good contact for 20 seconds or so.

I loosened it up but could never find that spot where it only dripped while underway but not when sitting still. I may see if I can get that 4th piece in there now then just barely snug it down, let it leak and "break in", then revisit the tightness after a few hours or runtime.That may very well be an option, however..............

I was dead set on a dry basement with this connection. I rarely ever had a drip.

A few years (recently) back, I read a convincing theory (opinon of someone else) that made me come to realize that a drip is necessary for the packing to serve well.

Read through this tutorial and see if you can gain some insight to your situation. I found this to be a good read.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

About mid-way of page 2 of three there is the writeup that makes sense to me about the drip.

Jeff d
04-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I understand that it still needs to drip some when in motion even with the GFO but I thought that even with the traditional flax packing you could tighten it so that there would be almost no dripping when sitting still. Is this not the case?

Cloaked
04-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I understand that it still needs to drip some when in motion even with the GFO but I thought that even with the traditional flax packing you could tighten it so that there would be almost no dripping when sitting still. Is this not the case?
Yes, that would be the case. It should not drip (barring an odd drip from who-knows-what) when not in motion (neutral). You have just not gotten a good seal for some reason. Now it's time to regroup with new packing maybe? That's all I would know if you have done it like the article mentions.

Sometimes, you can overtighten and seat the packing in a configuration that is unforegiving.

The graphite packing is indeed good packing of choice over the junk ring (rope packing).

-V-
04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
I thought that the directions on the outside of the package state to only use three rings? I got mine (that i will eventually use) from skidim and he told me just three as well. just get your drip rate right.

Jeff d
04-21-2012, 11:37 PM
I reviewed the instructions and there was no mention of how many pieces to put in. I pulled out 4 so I opted to try to put the 4th piece in again after the first 3 have had some time to "break in". It went in without much trouble. We'll see how that goes next time I get the boat out.