PDA

View Full Version : Stabil vs. Sea Foam?

Kevin 89MC
08-15-2005, 06:10 PM
There has been some related posts, but just wondering what most of you use (if any) for short term storage. For the last few years my boat can sometimes sit for more than a month between uses, so I have thought I should stabilize the fuel year round. I put Stabil at the end of the season, but I don't like leaving it sit for too long after that first new tank in the summer. I have heard (and believe) that Sea Foam is also a good product, and I think that the two products are actually pretty similar. I only get through 2 to 4 tanks of gas a year (pretty sad, that will pick up wen the kids get older!), and my plan is to get one tank treated with Sea Foam, and treat the others every time with Stabil. I don't think having an additive in every tank will hurt anything, will it? I figure it's cheap insurance for not worring about "stale gas." Opinions?
Thanks,
Kevin

Workin' 4 Toys
08-15-2005, 06:31 PM
There has been some related posts, but just wondering what most of you use (if any) for short term storage. For the last few years my boat can sometimes sit for more than a month between uses, so I have thought I should stabilize the fuel year round. I put Stabil at the end of the season, but I don't like leaving it sit for too long after that first new tank in the summer. I have heard (and believe) that Sea Foam is also a good product, and I think that the two products are actually pretty similar. I only get through 2 to 4 tanks of gas a year (pretty sad, that will pick up wen the kids get older!), and my plan is to get one tank treated with Sea Foam, and treat the others every time with Stabil. I don't think having an additive in every tank will hurt anything, will it? I figure it's cheap insurance for not worring about "stale gas." Opinions?
Thanks,
Kevin
I used sea foam regularly in previous boats. I also use it in the snowmobiles, lawnmowers, snowblowers, edger, generator, and pressure washers. I can not say it makes anything better or worse across the board. I do not have fouled out plugs, some of my equipment has original plugs and still purr like a kitten. Since I started using seafoam I haven't switched. I do use a dose of Marvel Mystery oil on occasion is certain things like the crankcases and a splash on occasion in the fuel, but not in this boat "yet". I can not condemn or condone the use in your boat. Sorry, and I know that is what you were asking about.

east tx skier
08-15-2005, 09:00 PM
I stabilize whatever's in the tank before the last run of the weekend. Stale gas eats carbs. During the winter, I run it on the hose at least once a month.

I've used sea foam as well. Don't know how similar the two products are.

Kevin 89MC
08-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys, that helps.
Kevin