PDA

View Full Version : Possible short in bow nav light

RustyMC
04-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Folks,

Hoping you all can give me some help. I own a 2000 PS 205V and toward the end of last season, I went to snap on the nav lights around dusk and noticed the bow light did not come on. When I got back to the marina, I popped the light out and twisted the bulb and it came on. I figured there was just some corrosion on the contact points.

Fast forward to this Spring and I'm prepping the boat for the Summer and I went to work on the bow nav light and cleaned up the contacts but it still goes out depending on how I am holding the assembly. I pulled the light off completely and checked the voltage at the lead wires coming in (stripped them down) and it is also intermittent. I suspect a short in one of the 2 leads. I pulled the port bow speaker to see if I could easily access the leads but they appear to be encased in a bundle with others. Would like to have this working, but this looks to a major PITA.

Thoughts?

mikeg205
04-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Personally...I would check the switch... pull the leads there...and test.... 12 year old switch... just a thought...

RustyMC
04-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks mgorczak1 - I thought the switch might be the issue too and checked it first. It appears to be fine and the stern light works fine. Pretty much certain it's a short up forward and would like to pull the entire harness back the port speaker hole and re-splice.

BTW - I gently pulled the leads up front and it appears PO may have made a repair using crimp connectors. I suspect that's the source of the issue.

Anyone know what else is in the sheath harness with the bow light besides the speakers?

mikeg205
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Crimp connectors? I agree with that being the source of the issue....

RustyMC
04-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Ended up pulling out the connectors and it looked like the solder points on the light were loose as well. I wish I had midget hands trying to get re-pull the wiring. It all works now though.

mikeg205
04-14-2012, 11:14 PM
way to go....!!!!