PDA

View Full Version : Another ski question

DJ 50
04-14-2012, 03:30 PM
So I would like to buy a new ski. I am not a pro by far but I am improving. I've never even tried the course but my goal is to be doing by the end of this season. Even If I become a pro in the course, 95% of my skiing will always be in open water. I will be most likley be looking for a used ski. I always see these type of threads and the someone always instructs to demo skis, however I don't know any place where I ski that does that. I'm 6 ft 170 pounds and ski at 32mph. I've been skiing on an older HO Mach 1. Recomendations?

mikeg205
04-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I'd go with a HO Coeffcient X with a dual boot set up. The Comp free ride is a fun ski as well. I like the double boot set up. I see these on Ebay used all the time.

Have you look at www.ski-it-again.com?

MIskier
04-14-2012, 05:51 PM
There is a 67in coefficient x sl (90% carbon for laminate schedule, and PVC core) for 400 which would be perfect for you. You cant really go wrong with any of the higher end Radars or HO. Check ski-it-again.com for deals and ballofspray.com for ski reviews.

madcityskier
04-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Factory Blems can also be great deals. You can sometimes find these at Overtons Bart's etc.

h2oskifreak
04-14-2012, 08:28 PM
I would not recommend too high end of a ski, if you are not in the course yet. Blems are a good idea as others have said. If you get too quick of a ski, you may not enjoy your free skiing as they are hard to ride unless you ride them hard and aggressive. Try some skies out if you have the chance. Good luck.

ntidsl
04-14-2012, 09:10 PM
I have a hard time recommending used skis as you never now hopw the previous owner tweeked the ski and without very sophisticated equipmnet its touch to correct that. Buy new, but 2-3 year old model and be harsh on the vendor to double check the fin and wing!!! Good luck!

19_Skier
04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
as previous mentioned, coefficient x or x sl sound like a good fit. Maybe check out the Radar Senate as well. Good luck with your search!

mellig
04-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Most new technology is going to feel a lot different from the HO Mach 1, so be ready for some change, but welcome it as you will learn to appreciate it. Coefficient is a great option for a step in direction, but if you are an agressive skier (course or freeskiing) and ready to make the change, look at the HO A1/A2. Amazing ski...

Sources: Repeat on looking at Ski-it-Again.com or for blems look at Wiley's considering the Northwest connection between manufacturers, they tend to get a good supply through some on web or call direct. I would not suggest buying their bindings (get a blank or manufacturer bindings) as the technology has changed and their bindings have not.

mikeg205
04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey DJ50 - do you have a budget in mind? The HO Free Ride with a dual boot config will give you great action on free ski. Not a lot of adjustability....but a great affordable ski. Read many pro's like the ski when not carving around buoys. Had it with a rear to plate, the ski needs a second boot...its a bit stiff and very forgiving.. when I am lucky I get two days on the water a week... I would like to try a Coefficient SL to see if I would get better response at my level...will never complete...so an A2 would just be a waste....

DJ 50
05-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Decided to buy a new Coeffcient X. Any thoughts on animal bindings or attack bindings?

mikeg205
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Read a number of thread where skiers did no like animal bindings, I would go with attack bindings.

DJ 50
05-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Anyoone have experience with the attack bindings?

Ben
05-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I like the Wiley bindings. Although that's all I've ever had on each of my 3 skis. Very hapy with them (ski and Wileys).

TNH2oSkier
05-23-2012, 11:03 PM
You need to try them before you buy them. I dont like either attack or animals, but its personal preference and my preference is my feet not going numb after 3 passes in the course.

mikeg205
05-25-2012, 10:59 AM
You need to try them before you buy them. I dont like either attack or animals, but its personal preference and my preference is my feet not going numb after 3 passes in the course.

I like closed or almost close toe boxes.. ski in early spring when I can. The open toe boxes on the wiley bindings do allow for better blood flow.

I had the numbness issue on my cycling shoes...if you have wide feet, you will have issues unless you try first.

TRBenj
05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
The open toe boxes on the wiley bindings
Maybe Im misunderstanding what you mean by "open toe boxes"... but all front Wiley slalom/trick/jump bindings look like this:

http://www.wileyski.com/products/img/pic3778-detail.jpg

Can you explain what you mean? Or are you talking about rear bindings?