PDA

View Full Version : Where's your puck for your Depth finder?

georgea0731
08-29-2004, 09:48 PM
They're already letting our lake down and we dinged our prop this weekend. Not too bad, but I need to get a sense of urgency for a depth finder.

What brand do you have?
Do you like it?
Any issues with it?
Where is your gauge mounted?
Where is your puck/transducer mounted?

Our 04 boat can get a depth finder that reads in the RPM gauge, but it cost $240 + installation. So we're leaning toward the old style, 2" gauge with thru hull puck/transducer for about $100 and we install it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please email us at amonette516@comcast.net
(sorry this got posted under my other thread about my trailer problem.)

georgea0731
10-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Here's a photo of where the puck is on the thru hull
Hey I was at a factory tour a complete weeks ago and took this photo of the bottom of the boat and the puck installed. I hope it helps!

I'm getting ready to buy and install a Lowrance 3500, anyone know of any good deals on one or a website with the best price? I think consumermarine has the best deal so far. Lowrance was the standard DF used by MC in 2003. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Imageshttp://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1169&stc=1

Mag_Red
10-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Here's a photo of where the puck is on the thru hull
Hey I was at a factory tour a complete weeks ago and took this photo of the bottom of the boat and the puck installed. I hope it helps!

I'm getting ready to buy and install a Lowrance 3500, anyone know of any good deals on one or a website with the best price? I think consumermarine has the best deal so far. Lowrance was the standard DF used by MC in 2003. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Imageshttp://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1169&stc=1 George, go for the Mastercraft unit. Not only do you get depth, but there is an hour meter, lake temp, air temp, and a dandy little clock. :steering:

jpattigr
10-12-2004, 01:01 AM
I have a PT 197 (same boat as your X7) and I installed a Teledyne (made by Hummingbird) depth sounder. When you take the back floor center peice out which is just pressed into place you will see a spot for the puck. The spot is on the drivers side and right beside where the shaft exits the boat. Use a fish tape to pull the wire though and it is easy to hook up.
I bought my unit off E Bay for $45 new and it works great.
Good Luck.

captkidd
10-12-2004, 10:29 AM
I ordered my boat with a depth finder in place of the clock (Who needs a clock when you're on the lake? If the sun's out it's daytime, if it's dark, it's night.). Mine is a Humminbird brand and the transducer is in the bilge, near the stern. It works great and I use it whenever the boat is in the water, but I've still hit a few things because I came up on them before the depth finder registered.

Ben
10-13-2004, 01:25 PM
I put a humminbird (now teleflex) in last year, in the same spot as mentioned above (Driver side rear, opposite of water intake). It works great even at 35mph. However, due to packging, I put the perfect pass paddlewheel inline with it (paddlwheel is foward, near the drain). That messed up the depth at >20mph, but in my opinion, the PP trumps the Depth for now (shouldn't be driving / skiing 35mph if unsure about bottom). May redo later, low on "The List".....

So, if you have the paddlewheel, don't go behind it. If you don't think if you even may.....

good luck

c640947
10-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have a shot of what a transducer actually looks like. I am trying to find mine because I think it may be broken, but I am not sure what it looks like.

paulphillipson
10-13-2004, 08:50 PM
It looks just like a hockey puck with 2 wires epoxied to the top. I'm sure our Canadian friends are familiar with them.

flyinryn
10-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Keep hearing abou these depth gauges that have all these cool features.
can any one tell me who acutally makes this unit.

Ben
10-14-2004, 08:05 AM
I don't know who makes the ones with all the features but I tried looking for it last summer (sure sounds cool). The only person I knew who had one was a buddy with a '99 MC that the unit rarely worked on. I figured this meant something, so I ended the search & got the humminbird.

randyb
07-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Quick question for those with the Humminbird HDR 610. Do I need to install a switch for this thing or does it power up and down from the buttons on the the unit?

JKTX21
07-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I would say most add-on depth finders are installed to a switch, but you could wire it to the ignition I suppose.

TMCNo1
07-03-2007, 09:17 PM
I would say most add-on depth finders are installed to a switch, but you could wire it to the ignition I suppose.
Wire it to the ignition switch so it will be on when the engine is running or when you turn the ignition switch to to left (power only side) and it will show the depth w/o turning on the ignition or cranking the engine.

bjm300zx
07-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I would like to see the picture(s) but it says invalid attachment...

Ric
07-05-2007, 05:50 PM
what the puck are yall talking about?

Yellow X9
07-05-2007, 06:07 PM
George, go for the Mastercraft unit. Not only do you get depth, but there is an hour meter, lake temp, air temp, and a dandy little clock. :steering:

+2, I'd agree

Archimedes
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I installed the MC one this past winter in my X-1 and I can't believe I ever thought I could live without one. Lakes are low around here this year as well and it's a must have item. So far it's performed very well. It was pretty pricey though.

georgea0731
07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I believe the original picture is long gone, but here is another one from our X7. I hope it helps. We specifically had our Lowrance connected to the Acc #2 switch. We have it on almost 99% of the time just so we know how shallow it is and with the lake down this year we have to have it on!
I also have the DF in my digital dash, but it was to small to see and I have the bigger displace too. The bigger displace was the standard until 03 for it works for us. We placed it on the right side of the dash in the 2nd small slot.

MClarke
08-22-2009, 09:21 PM
I have an 02 X10 with the factory Lowrance 3500 DF. I have looked where your picture shows the transducer but no luck. My gauge is giving me a faint RU.E reading with water spelled out in the bottom left corner. Can anyone help me out on these 2 items. The gauge is not giving me depth but is definitely powered up. THX.

bigmac
08-22-2009, 09:36 PM
George, go for the Mastercraft unit. Not only do you get depth, but there is an hour meter, lake temp, air temp, and a dandy little clock. :steering:I suspect he already has those things except for depth.

MariStar-Man
08-23-2009, 02:02 AM
My depth meter blinks pretty often unless im driving slow....lol

Archimedes
08-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Deleted. Just realized this is an ancient thread reborn.