PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washing interior

imjusthereforthefood
04-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey guys.. trying to clean up the carpet a little bit on my 87 PS. i'll try to get some pics soon but had a question or two. i've pulled all the seats up so i can give it a nice cleaning. i have a pressure washer and carpet extractor. using the pressure washer first. i just threw a towel over the stereo receiver and driver panel, am i good to go as far as getting in there and spraying around? also, as far as draining it i'm assuming level ground is the best way to get all the water out? will water from the back where the fuel system is hold water or will it drain to the middle? just don't want a little water getting stuck somewhere to cause mildew:confused:

Also, any specials formulas you guys use to clean the carpet? have a degreaser i'm planning on using and have simple green. just looking for tips and answers to the questions above!

thanks!

Jeff d
04-13-2012, 09:43 AM
I usually pretreat spots with Totally Awesome and give that 5-10 mins to sit. I also cover my speakers with Press 'n Seal wrap. They're marine speakers but I can't imagine a pressure washer being good for them. I would spray the carpet at the driver's feet carefully or not at all because it tends to splash up all over the electrical stuff under the dash.

After, use a shop vac to extract the water. It will dry days sooner if you do this and get it cleaner since you're sucking all of that raunchy water out.

carlsonwa
04-13-2012, 09:46 AM
x2 on using a shop vac!

imjusthereforthefood
04-13-2012, 10:48 AM
thanks guys. so i can spray every where around the boat(minus the front where the dash is) and be ok?

BrooksfamX2
04-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Jack tongue wheel up to slope boat for draining (remove drain plug(s)), spot clean with Dawn, warm water and brush, pressure wash with wide angel nozzle (low pressure), shop vac when done. Leave boat in sun, making sure it is warm enough for the carpet to dry in a day.........

My X2 has snap in carpet so I can clean it on the patio and hang to dry.

imjusthereforthefood
04-13-2012, 11:37 AM
thanks brooks!

jafo9
04-13-2012, 12:00 PM
if you've never pressure washed carpet before, be careful. i do it regularly on my pontoon carpet and i've done some damage by getting too close to the carpet. i've caused bunches of fibers to separate from the backing. luckily i've been able to glue them back down.

imjusthereforthefood
04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
will do, thanks for the tip!

rsmith_5568
04-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Oxyclean in spray bottle let sit then pressure wash. Worked great

Cloaked
04-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Don't care for using the vac for water pickup although it's made for it. I scrub with water and a wash detergent, rinse with a normal water hose, then use an ice scrapper to squeegee off the water to the hull.. Takes out 99% of the water. Then a box fan overnight to dry.

Many different methods. For me a pressure washer would just make a mess with overspray etc.

CCAnderson
04-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Per another post I used high efficiency laundry detergent, HOT water and stiff brush to scrub the entire carpet then pressure washed until the water ran clear. The HE laundry detergent is nice becaue it is design to be used with minimal water and not leave residue. I agree with Cloaked on using a squeegee on the carpet, I used to do the same thing when I detailed cars, but we also followed up with the shop vac to remove that last bit of water. The most important part is the fan to dry everythung before the mildew can start.