PDA

View Full Version : NJ 1989 TriStar 190 Refurb

Evacplt
04-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just started the refurb of my 1989 TriStar 190. Is there anyone else out there :)

91tri190
04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Greetings from a fellow tristar 190 owner. We are out here indeed but not as vocal. Others will repond who have been through the process. Private Message me with any questions. You came to the correct site for OCD MC owners. Attempting to post a picture of my 91 on a Ellis trailer out of California.

Good Luck!

Steve

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just started the refurb of my 1989 TriStar 190. Is there anyone else out there :)

Welcome to Team Talk. In case you haven't figured it out yet, we love pictures here. All stages of the work, not just the finished product. Good luck on your project.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Greetings from a fellow tristar 190 owner. We are out here indeed but not as vocal. Others will repond who have been through the process. Private Message me with any questions. You came to the correct site for OCD MC owners. Attempting to post a picture of my 91 on a Ellis trailer out of California.

Good Luck!

Steve

Great looking Tristar. Any more pictures, now that you have mastered posting?

oxberger
04-13-2012, 03:02 PM
His first post out of the gate and starting with a refurb. Awesome! :popcorn: Welcome to TT!

91tri190
04-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Ox, I threadjacked him...
Peter,
Here are a few more. I will PM you to connect. We live over in Woodbury with the rest of the minivans.

Steve

mzimme
04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Those boats do not look like they come from the 80's. So awesome.

91tri190
04-13-2012, 04:38 PM
This is a 91. The pink/fuchsia pinstripes separating the black from white gelcoat were removed within hours of arrival from California. Spouse took one look at the pink stripes and went in to get her hairdryer!

Jerseydave
04-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm out here! Where in NJ are you?

Evacplt
04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi 190 owners, thanks for the replies. We live in the Lambetville area and do most of our boating on the Delaware River. I will post some project pictures soon. Steve your boat looks awesome!
I have a question for the community. I have gutted the boat and all my interior is out for refurbishing. QUESTION Has anyone tried to remove the front center floor panel that covers the forward half of the fuel tank. _@)_#)$!@_#)KFWPQOM}PQOJ}_Q@_!)_) OMG Do I have to cut it out or does anyone have a better suggestion. I want to remove it to straighten it and replace the carpet. It looks like I have to slide the fuel tank forward to accomplish the removal.
Tim

woobiedmd
04-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Welcome! Where on the Delaware? I live in Doylestown . Like everyone else said-We need pix! Good Luck with the refurb

Jerseydave
04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Lambertville....I'm 15 mins from there! I use to run my prostar on the river there, I was a member of the boat club years ago. It's really shallow in many areas....hopefully you are running that boat south of Trenton once it's finished.

We launch at Florence now, nice water for wakeboarding and skiing.

Anyway, lets see some pics! When do you think it will be finished?

michiganTristar
04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Have been lurking on this site for a long time soaking up information from everyone (thanks!) and have finally purchased a 1990 Tristar for a really great deal. Picked it up from a friend of the family for $6500 with only 400hrs on the original engine... The only problem is the interior is shot and the exterior is faded.

So i figured id bring her back to life, took out all the upholstry yesterday and am cleaning it the best i can, plan on tearing out the carpet tonight to instal some nice and new and this weekend im taking the highspeed rotary to it with a good three stage process to bring the old paint back to new condition.
Also ordered a new stereo with 4 polk marine speakers :)

I know how important pictures are here so im taking a lot of them during the process to show the restore, just got it yesterday so give me a little time ;)

If anyone can answer i do have a few questions:
1.) What size carpet should i order to be sure to cover the entire interior?
2.) Is there anything i should know about this boat that is not common sense?
3.) Anyone in the southeast michigan area?

michiganTristar
04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I do not have the before pics as of now, and these were just taken with the iphone, but this is after four passes with a wool pad and heavy cut compound to remove the oxidation and P105 to polish after. Then sealed with iso. wax. The interior was shot, power wash and scrub the carpet with cleaner 4 times before it was even decent, and the seats all had mildew stains all over them. Needs drivers seat re-upholstered and wakeboard racks put on, but its came a long way and i just wanted to post some pics.

michiganTristar
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Here are the pics i have of before the full detail. Any questions about process, products, time spent or anything else feel free to ask

michiganTristar
04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Also is it possible for me to split this off of this post and create my own?

d2jp
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Great Job! The Tristars have such great styling - hard to believe that design is over 20 years old. A classic.

curtish
04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Also is it possible for me to split this off of this post and create my own?

You need to PM a mod so they can make you a member. Then you can start your own thread.

JohnE
04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Great looking tristar. I had an 88 in 06 and loved it. Sold its to a buddy when I bought my 197. The tri is so under rated. Joined the forum right after buying the tri. Sold an 89 porstar to go open bow

tommy panfish
04-26-2012, 11:00 PM
We ski Ford Lake! Went to Belleville Lake Ski Club meeting tonight.....nice people. If you're out this way shoot me a note, looking for people to get some sets in with.

michiganTristar
04-26-2012, 11:36 PM
We're on Belleville lake... We have a dock at Sandys marina. We never ski only wakeboard, surf and relax lol... But if your ever on Belleville lake pm me and we can meet up. Theres a cool bar an grill on the lake we aleays go to...I know a few guys on the lake also One with an Xstar and some pontoons.

newguy
04-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Here are the pics i have of before the full detail. Any questions about process, products, time spent or anything else feel free to ask

Here's a couple before and afters and another couple of it finished.

damaged442
04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Looking good!!