PDA

View Full Version : Buying new ski...Syndicate

ntidsl
04-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I wanted to post this as I see alot of questions about what ski to buy, how and where. I picked up a new ski this winter. I did alot of searching around, especially for a used ski. I ended up buying a new ski but it was a 2010 model. I talked numerous times with the vendor to ensure the fin was set to exact factory settings. I found 4 of the exact same skis from 4 different vendors and went with the vendor who was the easiest to communicate with as they were all priced within $5.00 of each other.

I had been skiing on a 2005 HO system 8 with Animal Bindings. I bought a 2010 Syndicate S1 and remounted my Animals easily. $600 investment. Some people wanted more for their used S1 same year. I highly suggest buying 1 or 2 years old and also buying in the winter.

I skied for the first time on the S1 and holy crap! I have never skied so effortlessly in my life. The speed and lack of drag was absolutely amazing. I now can see why the pros have been starting their edge change at the wake now adays!!! Without remembering to do this I was sooooo wide I couldn't turn back in!!! Once I got used to the speed I was able to edge change just after the 2nd wake and slowly turn and once I initaited my turn the ski took over the next thing I knew I was at the wake again...no struggle, the ski did the work!!! I always see these videos of pros jumping on a ski and going out and running one of their best runs and never imagined I'd be able to say the same. I thought you had to get used to the ski over a few weeks and tweak your style etc...rubbish...I had my best ski run ever on this ski and I'm ready to do it again!

Happy summer 2012!!!

sleeporbutter
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the post. I also have a System 8 and have been thinking about an upgrade. I ski at 34mph and have read the S1 is made for that. Great to hear some feedback as it is often difficult to try before you buy.

h2oskifreak
04-12-2012, 06:34 PM
They are good skies. I ski a few year old Monza and really love it. Some are haters, but it seems to fit my aggressive (not smooth) style.

ntidsl
04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I ski at 34 mph as well and was just amazed at the S1...My wife said she has never seen me so happy in my life as after that ski run!!! Don't think twice!!!

jkski
04-13-2012, 06:59 AM
I have been on the Monza for several years but have been considering changing over to the A1 or S1. Anyone been on both and care to give your thoughts on how they compare? (Monza vs A1 or S1).

amcmac
04-13-2012, 06:59 AM
I am in the market for a new ski. There are a few 2011 A2s on ebay for ~$650. Is that a good deal? I do course skiing whenever I can find one, which isn't too often, but I like to open-water ski like i'm on a course.

19_Skier
04-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I am in the market for a new ski. There are a few 2011 A2s on ebay for ~$650. Is that a good deal? I do course skiing whenever I can find one, which isn't too often, but I like to open-water ski like i'm on a course.

you may be better served with a coefficient X/X SL - they will handle the open water skiing a bit better especially in choppy water and can still run the course very well. That being said, $650 for an A2 is a pretty good price for a really nice ski. :twocents:

h2oskifreak
04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I have been on the Monza for several years but have been considering changing over to the A1 or S1. Anyone been on both and care to give your thoughts on how they compare? (Monza vs A1 or S1).

Also interested in specific comments on the Monza move up to A1 or S1, Anybody...Bueler, Bueler.

jamisonsbrodie
04-13-2012, 10:58 AM
I skied the A1 for half a season and couldn't get it dialed in. Skied the S1 a couple of times and liked it. It had a much more aggressive offside for me. The A1 is smoother and better for more arching turns, whereas the S1 is made for more abrupt/skidded turns. For me, the A1 was good in cold water, but once the water warmed up, I was all over the map with it. I tried all sorts of fin settings and never got it to work in 80 degree water. The A2 is a much better ski than the A1, IMO and for $650 I would jump on it. Worst case, you sell it on ski-it-again for nearly what you paid for it. The S2 is getting really good reviews as well and my friend has moved to that from an S1 and likes the turn better. I am on a D3 X7 and love it. It is fast, stable, consistant and has a great offside.

jamisonsbrodie
04-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Also interested in specific comments on the Monza move up to A1 or S1, Anybody...Bueler, Bueler.

If you like the Monza, go to the S1/S2. The A1 just doesn't turn as quick as the S1. The Monza was very different from year to year, however and there were good ones and bad ones, but the guys I know that liked the monza, prefer the S1.

jamisonsbrodie
04-13-2012, 11:04 AM

The Radar Senate is a very good ski as well to consider. Very stable and easy to ride, and very comfortable inside the course and out.

Sullivan
04-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I ski at 34 mph as well and was just amazed at the S1...My wife said she has never seen me so happy in my life as after that ski run!!! Don't think twice!!!

I personally really like the Radar and D3 offerings. I've had all three brands and HO is my least favorite because of some quality issues I had with the inserts.

But, this is all you need when choosing a ski! A big ole smile afterwards that seems to stay plastered to your face for hours or days at a time.

mellig
04-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Just jumped onto my 2012 A2 (running at 34 mph) and while a little different feel from my 2004 Phantom Truth, it was the fastest, most responsive, and stable ski I have ever been on and after a few runs already saw/felt improvement on my weakside turns.

I had a lot of discussions on the S1/2 verse A1/2 and majority of people said just move to the A1/A2. I am a believer now that those recommendations where correct.

Kyle
04-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Here are what all I have left in skis

I Love my new A2 that I picked up late 2011 and it is a 2012 model. The A1 and A2 ski very similar but the shapes are a little different. I like them both though. The A1 or A2 make the monza feel like a total pos.

The A1 and A2 can be tuned to turn sharper than you want them to. I use digital dial calipers and have numbers that I would be glad to share. Both skis are very fast and turn real sharp. I don't think that either ski is slow to turn. I am a real aggressive skier and sometimes slam n jam bouys with no problem on either ski. One thing I do notice is how early I run going into the bouy. I seriously have had to wait a cadence before turning otherwise I would run over the bouy at -28 or -32. I am running both the A1 and A2 at 34mph and occasionally at 36mph. I love both skis.

Kyle
04-28-2012, 12:40 AM
If you like the Monza, go to the S1/S2. The A1 just doesn't turn as quick as the S1. The Monza was very different from year to year, however and there were good ones and bad ones, but the guys I know that liked the monza, prefer the S1.

You can say that about the monza for sure. Heck I don't think they had two identical skis that even skied a like.

IIRC the first year 2005 monza black top were the best ones. My '07 in the pic....it was a total turd hound pos.

Kyle
04-28-2012, 12:44 AM
My '07 monza

http://img.tapatalk.com/a693489e-7626-37d1.jpg

ntidsl
04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
total turd hound pos...gotta remember that one!

jkski
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
OK, so if I am ging to make a change from the Monza this year and I am a 34mph skier, which ski/ski's should I be looking at....A1 or A2 or S1 or S2?
I have read the HO info but truthfully, I'd rather hear it from the guys who are skiing it in real world terms......that would be you!
Thanks.

Phntmski
04-30-2012, 11:21 AM
I skied on an 07 Monza for 4 years and got a lot out of it. I loved the speed of the Monza and the ride. Never thought of it as any kind of pos.:D Only struggle was dialing it in. That is the most finicky ski I've ever seen in my short time around the slalom course. Wasn't really looking to change but a good deal on an A1 fell into my lap late last year. I'm hoping to go from an occasional -28 at 34mph to much more consistant and would like to get deep into -32. The A1 really locks in around the balls and I like that. Seems a little slow behind the boat but I'm hoping to figure that out. I'm curious about the A2.

jamisonsbrodie
04-30-2012, 11:53 AM
OK, so if I am ging to make a change from the Monza this year and I am a 34mph skier, which ski/ski's should I be looking at....A1 or A2 or S1 or S2?
I have read the HO info but truthfully, I'd rather hear it from the guys who are skiing it in real world terms......that would be you!
Thanks.

What type of skier are you and what rope length? Can you demo anything where you live? That would be my recommendation if you can. The S1 will have a quicker turn than the A1. The offside is wicked on it, really rolled over and took off. For me, the A1 was not forgiving enough and inconsistent. I skied way better on my RS-1 than I did on the A1, as it was more forgiving and I could crank it when I needed to catch up. I will ski the S2 in the next couple of weeks and report back, but my friend that is on it says it doesn't ski much different than his S1. Radar Strada is an excellent ski too, and everyone that I know that has skied it, loved it. It is fast, smooth and forgving and I would own one had I not tried the X7. If you can borrow, or demo a Radar, HO, or D3 I would try that first. Ski-it-again has every option and you can buy it right so that if you don't love it, turn around and sell it and try again.

FWIW, I have only skied the A2 once, and I felt like it was a ski that I could really get used to, but would need more time on it to really comment.

Kyle,

Nice line up there!!! You must be single, as my wife would never left me amass that collection. I have to sell each one to help pay for the next one and just keep tellingher "no honey, it is the same ski I had last year"!!!

jkski
04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
I am a 34mph skier running 22, 28 and getting midway thru 32 on a Monza. I do love the speed of the ski and hate to give that up however, I have found that if you are not a perfect skier/consistent skier, this ski is very unforgiving and will simply throw you. If I make a mistake, the Monza does not tell me subtly!!!

Unfortunately, we do not have any local dealers, as is the case with a lot of people, so trial's will have to be done via shipping, which is certainly fine. If you are going to spend money on a new ski, it is always good to try it before you buy it. I like ski-it-again.com but in order to buy there it is nice to have yourself truly dialed in to what you want.
Thanks for the advice and I look forward to your thoughts on the S2 when you have had a chnace to ski it more.

amcmac
05-18-2012, 06:08 AM
What type of skier are you and what rope length? Can you demo anything where you live? That would be my recommendation if you can. The S1 will have a quicker turn than the A1. The offside is wicked on it, really rolled over and took off. For me, the A1 was not forgiving enough and inconsistent. I skied way better on my RS-1 than I did on the A1, as it was more forgiving and I could crank it when I needed to catch up. I will ski the S2 in the next couple of weeks and report back, but my friend that is on it says it doesn't ski much different than his S1. Radar Strada is an excellent ski too, and everyone that I know that has skied it, loved it. It is fast, smooth and forgving and I would own one had I not tried the X7. If you can borrow, or demo a Radar, HO, or D3 I would try that first. Ski-it-again has every option and you can buy it right so that if you don't love it, turn around and sell it and try again.

FWIW, I have only skied the A2 once, and I felt like it was a ski that I could really get used to, but would need more time on it to really comment.

Kyle,

Nice line up there!!! You must be single, as my wife would never left me amass that collection. I have to sell each one to help pay for the next one and just keep tellingher "no honey, it is the same ski I had last year"!!!

Any reviews to post on the S2? I recently skied a 65.5" S2. It was nice, but I will take some getting used to. I'm not sure if it is the right length for me as I'm currently 160-165lbs and I've been working out hard to get down to that weight, so I don't know if I'll stay there. I can get this particular ski at a good deal but I don't want to buy a ski if it isn't the right one for me

jamisonsbrodie
05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
I will be trying out the S2 and A2 this weekend. I will also be using the Exo pro hardshells on both, so that will probably be the biggest variable. I may end up mounting my Approaches on them, but I am going to try the Exo's first. It will be nice, because the Exo boot setup can go from one ski to the next in about 5 seconds. My ski partner has 2 sets, and he loves them.

jamisonsbrodie
05-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Initial thoughts on A2, S2, Exo's:

I only got to ski one set on each ski, but I went out first set on my D3 with Approaches and ran 3 at 35 (~16:95)

2nd set was on A2 with Exo pro boots first pass I went down at 2 ball at 22 off. I was just not sure what to expect with the turns. After that, ran 22, 28, 32, and 1 at 35, all slightly soft(~17:15) all very smooth. The ski rides a lot higher in the water than my D3 and carries more speed through the turn. Everything was faster and definitely likes a fast arching turn vs a skidded/quick turn. This ski requires very little effort to ski it, much less so than my X7 or the S2. I Absolutely love the boots. They fit great and are super comfortable and hold your foot in. I had RS-1 boots for awhile and hated them because they didn't have enough support. Exo's will be my next boot!!! My only complaint was the first set on them, the top of the cuff is stiff and it kind of hurt my leg. Second set, I didn't notice it.

3rd set was on the S2 with Exo. THis ski rides more like my D3, lower in the water than the A2. I was a lot more jerky on the ski in the turns. It required a lot more input than the A2. I felt like I could scrap on this if I need to like on my D3, but I really wasn't impressed overall with it. I ran 22, 28, 32 and 1 at 35 (again slightly soft).

I still prefer my D3 at this point, but I would like some more time on the A2 to see what I could do on it. I feel like I could get into trouble easier on the A2, but I do feel I would like it. I had a very similar feeling when I first got my A1. It was great at first, but wasn't consistent and I had trouble recovering on it. I am really consistent on my D3, so I wouldn't want to give that up but the A2 was a lot of fun to ski.