PDA

View Full Version : A sad day of my life...

boatless
08-15-2005, 06:26 PM
My heart has been set on an X9 for so long, but this morning we end up buying a 2005 25' potoon with a 90 horse Yamaha outboard. It is a sad sad day, I was so close of having a 2005 X9 parking in my garage. The people at my local MC dealer were great, thanks every one for the support. But this time, my wife won the battle. She wanted a potoon instead. If you see a guy with a potoon screaming for a ride on your MC, you know that was me. :cry: So long, fare well.

bigmac
08-15-2005, 06:31 PM
My heart has been set on an X9 for so long, but this morning we end up buying a 2005 25' potoon with a 90 horse Yamaha outboard. It is a sad sad day, I was so close of having a 2005 X9 parking in my garage. The people at my local MC dealer were great, thanks every one for the support. But this time, my wife won the battle. She wanted a potoon instead. If you see a guy with a potoon screaming for a ride on your MC, you know that was me. :cry: So long, fare well.

Sad day indeed. My wife, bless her heart, told me when we got married that we would never have an RV and we would never have a pontoon boat. OTOH, she wouldn't have a direct-drive either - but she was so impressed with the interior room and seating on the Maristar 230 that it was a pretty easy sell.

Dont' give up hope...lots of people have TWO boats...

SteveO
08-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Congratudolences, Maybe you can bum a ride on an MC or find a group that needs a spotter (if your state requires a driver and spotter). Let the bride have her way this summer and get the kids (if you have any) on your side next summer. Comments from them like wow, I would really like to learn to ski, etc can't hurt your cause. My 7 year old was a big help in tippiing the scales with my wife.

milkmania
08-15-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm still holdly my firm ground......barely:o

but, I'm in good enough with an old boat, I could get into a pontoon pretty easily.... use it for "The Island"

I love the idea of beaching them on sandy beaches, and the room, and the bar-b-que grill, the sleeping room, the shade....

dangit, stop it! bad milkman:rant:

Ric
08-15-2005, 07:00 PM
ya ya what stevo said
you work the watersports lifestyle first and THEN move into the boat you want.
hope to see you back here asap

Workin' 4 Toys
08-15-2005, 07:00 PM
I guess I got it pretty good. The lakes we frequent most, I have family or friends on with the p-toons. So not even an options. For what would 15-20 people do with TWO pontoons?!?!? Never enough MC's!!! Not to mention, Ptooons suck towing down the highway!!!

mcprostar197
08-15-2005, 07:09 PM
If your kids are old enough, tell them to act really bummed out that you guys didnt get an MC, which will then make your wife feel kinda guilty because the kids are sad. Then she says that you guys can sell the pontoon, and get that money back for that X-9 which will provide endless amounts of fun for the whole family on the lake!

aprgriggs
08-15-2005, 07:49 PM
i am so sorry...I haven't used my X9 in awhile but atleast I know it is there. If you are ever in the Dallas area we will take you out.

rodltg2
08-15-2005, 07:58 PM
she must be REALLY HOT.

ski_king
08-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Sorry to hear that.
If you got stuck with only a pontoon, you should have gotten one of the ones from Lake_Tippy_Skier. 425 HP!!
http://thebestuls.blogspot.com/

RobertT
08-15-2005, 08:49 PM
I have a pontoon, like yours. I even have a mini tower on the back that I said was for pulling wankers on tubes.

Having that said, the perfect pairing is a comp boat with a pontoon boat. Its perfect. When the heathens come over and want to eat cheese puffs and drink wine on a boat....put them on the pontoon.

In time, with the help of all of us on this board, we can help you manipulate the situation. What you do not know yet, is that you will have the ultimate setup as noted above. With our help, we will tell you what to say to have your X9 sitting right next to the party barge. It will happen, oh yea of little faith. It will happen.

Sit back, read this, and smile. Knowing you are now enlightened.

:)

Jerseydave
08-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Boatless,

Post a pic (of the wife, not the boat silly)

We'll be the judge if your decision is rational or if
you're just pu**y-whipped. :D

Just messin with ya. You can always get a pull from someone
with a MC. :)

PendO
08-15-2005, 09:59 PM
I have a pontoon, like yours. I even have a mini tower on the back that I said was for pulling wankers on tubes.

Having that said, the perfect pairing is a comp boat with a pontoon boat. Its perfect. When the heathens come over and want to eat cheese puffs and drink wine on a boat....put them on the pontoon.

In time, with the help of all of us on this board, we can help you manipulate the situation. What you do not know yet, is that you will have the ultimate setup as noted above. With our help, we will tell you what to say to have your X9 sitting right next to the party barge. It will happen, oh yea of little faith. It will happen.

I agree man, keep the faith, just get your wife to have soooo much fun on the pontoon boat that you NEED a 2nd boat. Glad to hear you are not boatless, lots easier to pick up rides from a pontoon boat than from your car or house. I'll bet you find someone on the board who will trade some pontoon boat seating for rides on an MC.

USC8791
08-15-2005, 10:01 PM
she must be REALLY HOT.

Dude, that's what I'm thinking. Even still; you can find other wives.

You have got to take that thing back and buy a MC. You can always buy a used pontoon for a few grand. Better yet just buy a big *** piece of plywood and pull it behind an X-9. You can anchor it out in the middle of the lake while you go ski.

I have a feeling we're going to see you on TV getting crushed by a big beer can.

mcprostar197
08-15-2005, 10:04 PM
I agree man, keep the faith, just get your wife to have soooo much fun on the pontoon boat that you NEED a 2nd boat. Glad to hear you are not boatless, lots easier to pick up rides from a pontoon boat than from your car or house. I'll bet you find someone on the board who will trade some pontoon boat seating for rides on an MC.

Don't let her have too much fun on the pontoon, cuz then she wont see why there is a need for another new boat. Instead, prove to her that waterskiing completely sucks a nut behind the pontoon boat, and for that reason you need a ski boat. Not just any ski boat though....

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Dude that blows!! Take it back...

MarkP
08-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Sink it! ;)

Ooops was that out loud??

Granite_33
08-15-2005, 11:10 PM

Gahhhdammit now!!! :rant:
Let me post this so you can see what it should be............X-9 and all.

Nice Boat------X-9...for the serious folk.
Party Boat-----Harris (old pontoon boat) Perfect for the cheesy puff crowd.

Moral of the story............you can have it all.

Now if I can just get ahold of one of those MC boat models.......... :rant:

Leroy
08-15-2005, 11:15 PM
You are half way there! Pontoon and MC are perfect combo just like Granite shows!

Enjoy the toon, talk about the great fun you could have cutting it up, maybe even try it behind the toon with your wife and then let her try someone's MC.

Maristar210
08-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Pontoon 2nd = okay
Pontoon 1st = *** are you thinking? Bad choice IMO

S

RickDV
08-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Keep an old set of plugs in the motor. Loosen the drain plugs on one pontoon so you get a list. Run the gas mix rich so you get lots of blue smoke. Wife will be cursing the toon before you know it and you will have a great case for buying the quality boat you deserve. ;)

PendO
08-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Man, I hope you can get an older DD M/C to tie up to that thing ... get a buddy to buy one and "rent" it to you.

Scot
08-16-2005, 01:13 AM
What about the kids? How are they suppose to learn the fine art of skiing, WB'ing, and of course the tube, the tube! Lets not forget the cool factor of a good boat!... I hope you like to drink, because that is ALL those boats are good for. Ok, maybe fishing too, somewhat. Since this one is "hers". She should be the designated driver on every outing. Leaving you to smile at the GW when they pull up and give the tipsy test on the captain... who is not you!

BTW, my 86 PS190 is still for sale...

BTW again, she better be hot.

erkoehler
08-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Sorry Dude, you lost the battle, but don't end the war!!!! you have to have a MC.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-16-2005, 09:44 AM
HOw bout this: instead of one new boat, buy two used boats. Buy a good used MC for skiing/watersports and buy a good used pontoon boat for your wife. the idea of using a pontoon as an "island" is very practical. from waht I can tell, used pontoon boats are a dime a dozen and can be had for a song. people are always selling them for a bigger one, a smaller one or they get too old for them, or they dont use them enough or whatever. there are lots on the market. Compromise with her. You can buy a damn good used MC for half of what your paying for that new pontoon. try to compromise with her. maybe she will listen. Tell her how great it would be to teach your kids to ski/tube/board. the kids would love it. Actually, the idea of having both boats is really good for a family.

work on it!!!! :wavey: GOOD LUCK!!!!

Ron Grover
08-16-2005, 10:14 AM
That's OK you can make those pontoon payments with your social security check. They are perfect for cruising around and checking out the lakeside retirement villas.

shepherd
08-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Hope the wife makes it worth your while ;) -- IMO she owes you big time! Well, at least you have a party barge :woohoo:

I'm looking to buy a 3rd boat -- a small skiff to go fishing, but we're thinking that we should get rid of one of the others first -- the big cruiser or the MC (they're both old and paid for). Problem is, we both like cruising but... the day I sell my MC is the day I officially become an old man. I'm only 42! :o . Hello 3rd boat...

My point is, don't become an old man too early. Get a MC while you can still enjoy it. I've been enjoying mine for 10 years.

Davo
08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Wow. This is depressing. It seems like you could have compromised somehow. :huh:

tones03
08-16-2005, 12:55 PM
My mom, (I am 21 years old) said we could get a MasterCraft (had 2 Cris Crafts) after she got her pontoon. We found her a nice used pontoon for cheap and we got our MasterCraft and every one was happy.

Sorry to hear your luck. Have her start skiing and that way you have to get a new boat so she can ski.

River Rat
08-16-2005, 12:57 PM
We had a pontoon as well as a MC at one time. It was great when we used it, 2 times a year we went to the lake. Most of the time it sat in the yard covered up, while we took the MC to the river. :headbang: which is why it’s gone) Ditch the toon buy a MC and if you want an island, park put a life jacket on upside down, jump in and get a knee board as a bar. :headbang: And ban the cheetoes. ;)

jraben8
08-16-2005, 12:59 PM
The first time that you offer to ski behind it make sure that she is driving. Just pull it all over the lake and show her how difficult it is to control. Then pull her up very slowly (most women don't like having water in their face for very long). Having her experience it first hand may make her rethink her decision.

pilot02
08-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Keep an old set of plugs in the motor. Loosen the drain plugs on one pontoon so you get a list. Run the gas mix rich so you get lots of blue smoke. Wife will be cursing the toon before you know it and you will have a great case for buying the quality boat you deserve. ;)

LMFAO!!! nuff said! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

mitch
08-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Roberts right, I have a pontoon boat and a MC as well. It can be done my friend. Good luck!

boatless
08-16-2005, 02:07 PM
heeeheee.. I thought I said farewell, why are people still replying to my post ? :D Anyway,
I don't think my wife is hot, I Think she is co co coolllddd !!!! She went with me to the MC dealer at least twice and decided on the color. We even get the loan pre approved. Then she must have talk to my freakinnng neighbor and the word pontoon got in her mind some how. Cause she came home one night and start talking about pontoon, I said what the Hekkk !!! Well you know how it ends up.

So, the new pontoon is going to be at our dock tomorrow.

For those that call me old, I am not ollldd. I am only 40. ;) and no kids.

Later,

André
08-16-2005, 02:18 PM
For those that call me old, I am not ollldd. I am only 40. ;) and no kids.

Later,
More reasons to buy a MC... :D

Rockman
08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
More reasons to buy a MC... :D

I couldn't have said it any better. :toast:

jraben8
08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Any bets on how long it will take him to come back to this side?

JEREMY79
08-16-2005, 02:50 PM
thats alot of money for a pontoon. Which I see as usless for anything other than sitting. :popcorn:

shepherd
08-16-2005, 04:03 PM
thats alot of money for a pontoon. Which I see as usless for anything other than sitting. :popcorn:

Or fishing, like the OLD FOLKS do :D

AirJunky
08-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Hey now, sitting can be cool...... as long as you can bust out a big front flip while your doin it! :uglyhamme

Ric
08-16-2005, 04:10 PM
BOATLESS, these guys are bumping your farewell post until the omniscient LakesRick arrives with the final word on this matter................ :popcorn:

boatless
08-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Shepherd,
One more word out of you, I am going to put an MC logo on a pontoon, and I a going to call it an Xtoon series !!! I don't know why you guy are making fun of some ones sadness. :noface:

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 05:26 PM
BOATLESS, these guys are bumping your farewell post until the omniscient LakesRick arrives with the final word on this matter................ :popcorn:

Yes, we need a word from the Godfather.

BTW, Boatless we're not laughing at you we're laughing with you. :purplaugh

Scot
08-16-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't know why you guy are making fun of some ones sadness. :noface:

For the moment, it's all we have... :uglyhamme

AirJunky
08-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Shepherd,
One more word out of you, I am going to put an MC logo on a pontoon, and I a going to call it an Xtoon series !!! I don't know why you guy are making fun of some ones sadness. :noface:
X-toon?!?!?!? I think you may have something here!
I don't think anyone is laughing at you but trying to show you the bright side of things. Every MC owner needs a pontoon owner to dump off the kids & wives on :cool:

Frankly instead of buying a new X-toon, I would have proposed buying a used MC & a used pontoon. Probably could have squeaked them both into the same budget.

Ric
08-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Shepherd,
I don't know why you guy are making fun of some ones sadness. :noface:
I think you will bear this burden until erkle posts what his most recent plans include...... :uglyhamme

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I think you will bear this burden until erkle posts what his most recent plans include...... :uglyhamme
Or more shots of his Kin. :noface:

Ric
08-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Or more shots of his Kin. :noface:
very poor decision making on his part :confused:

captkidd
08-16-2005, 05:58 PM
O.K. Boatless, at least you're not boatless any longer. It's better to have a 'toon than to have nothing. Enjoy it. Invite a bunch of friends, neighbors, relatives, etc., to come along and have an on-the-water party. It sounds like it's too late to change your mind now, so don't look back and ask, "what if"; you'll just make yourself miserable. I really wish that some of my friends had a 'toon so we could hang out together at the lake. I could pull them on skis, wakeboards, etc., and they could provide storage for all the toys. Make some new friends who have ski boats and show them how great it is to have a 'toon in the crowd. Put a grill on there and have some cookouts on the lake. Instead of complaining about all the things you can't do, take advantage of all the things you can do that you can't do on a MC. In a year or so your wife may be enjoying the lake so much that you may be buying a MC after all. Oh yeah, and tell your wife that a 'toon is a great place for lake sex. ;)

mcprostar197
08-16-2005, 06:09 PM
BTW, Boatless we're not laughing at you we're laughing with you. :purplaugh

I wouldn't be laughing if I was in his situation.......

AirJunky
08-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh yeah, and tell your wife that a 'toon is a great place for lake sex. ;)
And I thought thats what MCs were good for after dark! :banana:

boatless
08-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Captkidd :friday: Lake sex !!! Yeahhhawww !!! I knew the toon must be good for some thing. :woohoo: Ummhhh, hunny ! lets go for a toon ride :steering: :banana:

Ric
08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Still waiting for Lakes Rick input here :popcorn:

BUMP

MarkP
08-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Man oh man.. I just re- read this thread and the outcome is still the same..

What a sad sad day

lakes Rick
08-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Still waiting for Lakes Rick input here :popcorn:

BUMP

Don't get married and you will never have to make a decision like this.

MarkP
08-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Don't get married and you will never have to make a decision like this.Hi Rick...:worthy:

Leroy
08-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Boatless; Have you rented or used a toon much? I've rented twice and would say it's good to test before buying.

What does your wife think she will do with the toon, I didn't see what she was wanting to do? I mean other than sex, cruising, eating on the lake, fishing??

Toon's do have some pretty cool stuff for them. Post some pics when you get it...
http://www.pontoonstuff.com/

jimmer2880
08-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Boatless; Have you rented or used a toon much? I've rented twice and would say it's good to test before buying.

What does your wife think she will do with the toon, I didn't see what she was wanting to do? I mean other than sex, cruising, eating on the lake, fishing??

Toon's do have some pretty cool stuff for them. Post some pics when you get it...
http://www.pontoonstuff.com/

Ok - but the only think you listed that I don't do on my MC is fishing. Unless, of course, when you say eating, you're talking grilling on the lake. :D

Leroy
08-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Jimmer; It was just a question, I wanted a pontoon, then looked at deck boats to get a little more performance after renting a pontoon couple of times, and realized the MC would do everything the toon does plus the tubing, skiing, boarding, that most toons struggle with.

I caught a 14 inch striped bass early in spring when the water was too cold for me off the platform!

shepherd
08-24-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm looking to buy a 3rd boat -- a small skiff to go fishing, but we're thinking that we should get rid of one of the others first -- the big cruiser or the MC (they're both old and paid for). Problem is, we both like cruising but... the day I sell my MC is the day I officially become an old man. I'm only 42! :o . Hello 3rd boat...

My point is, don't become an old man too early. Get a MC while you can still enjoy it. I've been enjoying mine for 10 years.

We went to the Carolina Skiff dealer this past weekend. The future ex-wife mentioned that maybe we should trade in the Mastercraft :eek:
I need to get out and ski more to justify keeping that boat...

boatless
08-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Well, we have an older pontoon with a 40horse johnson. It started out with buying an MC, but end up buying a newer pontoon instead with more stuff on it and a 90 horse Yammy to go with it. :rolleyes: My wife like the pontoon because it has a changing room so that she can do a #1 when we are out on the lake more than a few hours or so. :D We are still breaking in the engine right now, can't wait to do a wot and see how fast it goes. I'll bet it will do 10 miles an hour. :cry: I'll take a picture and posted as soon as I have a chance.

The lake that we live on is big, she like to cruise around and look at houses and dock so that we can eat at resturant on the lake. For me, I get to be the captain for a few hours or so. :steering: As soon as my old pontoon is sold, I'll use the money for the down payment of a new MC before she change her mind again and decided to get some thing else.

OhioProstar
08-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Soooooooo You already HAD a pontoon and upgraded rather than going with a X-9. Seriously dude.....send your wife to this school:

http://www.funnyheck.com/wifeschool.html

boatless
08-24-2005, 10:45 AM
hehe, that was funny. Wife school.

Danimal
08-24-2005, 11:03 AM
We have both a pontoon and a MC. It works out great for us when we have people over to ski. We take both boats out and anchor the 'toon at the swimmin' hole (a.k.a. Nipple Beach) and use that as a base camp. All coolers and food on the 'toon. We then come in and pick up skiers from the 'toon and head out. Who ever isn't skiing parties on the 'toon!

BTW.. both boats were bought used for a combined price of $10,500.00. You can get on the lake cheap!

jimmer2880
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Jimmer; It was just a question, I wanted a pontoon, then looked at deck boats to get a little more performance after renting a pontoon couple of times, and realized the MC would do everything the toon does plus the tubing, skiing, boarding, that most toons struggle with.

I caught a 14 inch striped bass early in spring when the water was too cold for me off the platform!

I was just kidding.... :D

jimmer2880
08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Soooooooo You already HAD a pontoon and upgraded rather than going with a X-9. Seriously dude.....send your wife to this school:

http://www.funnyheck.com/wifeschool.html

I have to send that one around. Very good.

shepherd
08-24-2005, 02:15 PM
We have both a pontoon and a MC. It works out great for us when we have people over to ski. We take both boats out and anchor the 'toon at the swimmin' hole (a.k.a. Nipple Beach) and use that as a base camp. All coolers and food on the 'toon. We then come in and pick up skiers from the 'toon and head out. Who ever isn't skiing parties on the 'toon!

BTW.. both boats were bought used for a combined price of $10,500.00. You can get on the lake cheap!

Amen Danimal, you guys are doing it right :friday: We never had a pontoon, but when I was in Maryland one of our buddies had an I/O that was designated the "Party Barge". Served the same purpose... but a toon would have been a lot better, more room and amenities.