PDA

View Full Version : 85 S&S stalling

OSUspenc99
08-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey people. i had just started to have a issue with my boat. It stalled when i tried to put it in reverse. Then i got it started and ask i was getting it to the trailer i would tap it in gear then out and the RPM would go way down and it would almost die. Any ideas on that this could be? You think it is a carb issue? It was running fine all day up til we were ready to call it a day.

Thanks

ktn_cmu
08-15-2005, 04:23 PM
What idle is it running at? Sounds like a carb issue to me. Is the choke staying open?

Danimal
08-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Check out this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4273). Great carb tuning tips.

OSUspenc99
08-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the help. I had the boat out this weekend and it was running good then at the end of the day it started stalling again. Also when i was trying to pull someone trick skiing it was start to go then sputter and then it would take off. Some times it would back fire. What do you think is going on. I think that i am going to rebuild the carb and change the plugs and wires. This boat has really just been broken in with only 225 hours. I really thank everyone for the help. I am getting really depressed because i thought that this boat was going to be good and now i am starting to wonder.

AR Footer
08-22-2005, 12:06 AM
I had a similar problem with mine last year and I ended up with a couple of problems. First, my carb did need rebuilding. Once that was done I still had a backfiring and stalling problem but some of the other issues went away like smoking and stalling and being unable to restart it. I knew that it was some type of firing problem so I changed the points which were in really bad shape. This eliminated all of the problems except at very high rpm's and then it would backfire and try to stall again. Turns out that I had broken springs in the bottom of the distributor. While I had it apart I just went ahead and installed and electronic ignition and now she runs great.