PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Difference

bsimpson
08-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Hello All,

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a power problem I have been having on my 2005 X-Star. I had two batteries installed by the dealer along with an upgrade on the stereo system (one ARC Audio XXK4150 Amp for the interior and tower speakers and an XXK2500 Amp for the two subs).

About a month ago the interior and tower speakers went out when the amp seemed to overheat but you could still hear the music out of the subs. Once the amp cooled down a bit the tower speakers worked fine and that was the only time it had ever done this until last weekend. I though it might have been because I was storing some items too close to the amps.... but then... :eek:

I took the boat out after a month and had no juice coming from the second battery. I normally alternate the battery use with the Perko switch each time I go out. Two weekends ago I noticed one of the cables from the Perko switch was slightly loose and the rubber cover was melted. I talked to the dealer and they said my second battery was connected directly to the stereo to "keep the memory" and probably drained over the month of non-use so they recommended I run the boat using "both" on the Perko switch till it charged the second battery..... :rolleyes:

Then this last weekend I noticed the second battery has some juice but there is a big difference in the voltage coming from both. On battery #1 I am getting about 14 Volts, on both I am getting about 13 Volts, and on battery #2 I am getting about 9 Volts. When I try to run the boat off the second battery the "Volt" alarm starts ringing and flashes on the LCD display. We ran the boat using only battery one for the rest of the day but the interior and tower speakers went out again and sure enough the amps were once again hot!! :confused:

I am afraid to run the stereo when the engine is off in case I burn through the charge and can't get the boat restarted.

I am bringing the boat in for it's first 50 hour service but I was hoping I could convey a little more info to the mechanics and stereo installer if others have seen anything like this.

Thanks!! :wavey:

ktn_cmu
08-15-2005, 04:18 PM
I don't know how to fix your problem, but whenever I have a problem with my battery, especially with boats, I check ground wires. Make sure you have good ground to both batterys...grounding problems causes some strange things to happen.

Kyle

ktn_cmu
08-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Thought of some other things. Have you checked voltage at each battery? Maybe a list of things to check would help.

Ground wires
Voltage at each battery
Voltage for each battery at the back of your switch (so you can isolate if the wire from each battery to the switch is good)

Prostar19
08-15-2005, 04:32 PM
charge up the second battery. then run on both and see if that helps. Also check to see if the dealer connected a jumper between the 2 negitive terminals.

tones03
08-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Make sure you have big enough wire running your stereo and running between the two batteries, to small of wires less power can get through and over heat the wires, melt them, and wont charge properly. I would also double check the set up of the Perko switch, make sure all conections are good there.

Diesel
08-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Lack of adequate voltage is overheating your amp and causing the cables to heat up (as long as you are using adequate size cable).

Charge up the second battery and hopefully you will be alright. Hopefully it did not drop a cell by being completely discharged. 9 volts is not good and will require a really good low voltage charge over a long period of time. Be careful if it has dropped a cell it will also kill the good battery and possibly the alternator if left in the "both" position.

FWIW I can leave my battery hooked up to the memory of my deck for months at a time without it draining. Are you sure you did not leave something on??

bsimpson
08-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Lack of adequate voltage is overheating your amp and causing the cables to heat up (as long as you are using adequate size cable).

Charge up the second battery and hopefully you will be alright. Hopefully it did not drop a cell by being completely discharged. 9 volts is not good and will require a really good low voltage charge over a long period of time. Be careful if it has dropped a cell it will also kill the good battery and possibly the alternator if left in the "both" position.

FWIW I can leave my battery hooked up to the memory of my deck for months at a time without it draining. Are you sure you did not leave something on??
Thanks Diesel,

I know I didn't leave anything on because I ALWAYS turn the Perko switch to off when I take the boat out of the water. The stereo has a bypass to the second battery.

I have a strong feeling this is probably a grounding issue and possibly the cables were not large enough.

Thank you all for your help!!

mckay4
08-15-2005, 05:46 PM
bsimpson,
I also have a 05 X-Star with basically the same problem, my low voltage alarm went off last week while vacationing on Lake Norris showing 11.4 volts on battery 2. Ended up going to the #1 battery and running on it the remaining four days of vacation. When I was getting ready to pull the boat out, I went to empty all the ballast tanks and nothing. Ended up switching to both batteries at a high idle to empty the tanks. When I got home I checked both batteries #1 was at 13.6 and #2 was at 11. I also found several loose connections both positive and ground which I tightened. I trickle charged the #2 battery for two days and verified cells were still full and it was back up to 13.5. Two days later I took the boat out with it set to battery #2, filled at the tanks and started wakeboarding with the radio off. Approximately 15 minutes later the low voltage alarm came on again showing 11.6 volts.

Please let me know what you find and I will let you know if I get mine figured out.

bsimpson
08-15-2005, 07:07 PM
bsimpson,
I also have a 05 X-Star with basically the same problem, my low voltage alarm went off last week while vacationing on Lake Norris showing 11.4 volts on battery 2. Ended up going to the #1 battery and running on it the remaining four days of vacation. When I was getting ready to pull the boat out, I went to empty all the ballast tanks and nothing. Ended up switching to both batteries at a high idle to empty the tanks. When I got home I checked both batteries #1 was at 13.6 and #2 was at 11. I also found several loose connections both positive and ground which I tightened. I trickle charged the #2 battery for two days and verified cells were still full and it was back up to 13.5. Two days later I took the boat out with it set to battery #2, filled at the tanks and started wakeboarding with the radio off. Approximately 15 minutes later the low voltage alarm came on again showing 11.6 volts.

Please let me know what you find and I will let you know if I get mine figured out.
Thank you mckay4,

Did you happen to notice a melted rubber cover on the unit directly behind the Perko switch? There is a small black box with three cables attached. I am just curious if this could be the issue.

mckay4
08-15-2005, 07:39 PM
My boat is equipped with a Guest Switch instead of a Perko, I just pulled it off and nothing was melted or loose.

redmike
08-15-2005, 08:11 PM
my :twocents: : since it is going in for sevice anyway, have the dealer load test the battery and see if the second battery is any good; it is not that uncommon anymore for a battery to be bad from the facotory. I'd like to think it wouldn't happen, but have seen it before, and it sounds to me like you have a dead cell. Might still be able to warranty it. ;)