PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate Early Spring

MattsCraft
04-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Ughh… Second time this season I have had to dry block, started the boat mid March due to unseasonable warm weather, drained due to freeze warning. Took the boat out last Saturday again due to warm weather and another freeze warning tonight, so did the ritual again. Luckily, the water was still cold so nobody wanted to board, did not fill ballast or I would be going back for more antifreeze.

Good news is I am an ace at dry blocking, but sure would like to see the lows stay in the 40’s + from here on out, Saturday or Sunday looks possible to get out again if the weather man can possibly be accurate!8p

OK, rant over, thanks for listening…:D

mtajpa
04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
85 degrees and 25mph winds.

davidstan
04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
We will hit 32 tonite for a few hours so standing pat on draining. It's a 90 min drive to the boat so I will let it ride. Below 26 I would go and drain it for sure.

MASTIQUE
04-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Get a bilge heater and extension cord and problem solved. It's priceless!

CantRepeat
04-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Ughh… Second time this season I have had to dry block, started the boat mid March due to unseasonable warm weather, drained due to freeze warning. Took the boat out last Saturday again due to warm weather and another freeze warning tonight, so did the ritual again. Luckily, the water was still cold so nobody wanted to board, did not fill ballast or I would be going back for more antifreeze.

Good news is I am an ace at dry blocking, but sure would like to see the lows stay in the 40’s + from here on out, Saturday or Sunday looks possible to get out again if the weather man can possibly be accurate!8p

OK, rant over, thanks for listening…:D

You'd be fine with a 40 or 60 watt mechanic's light in under the oil pan for at least a few nights below freezing. I'd only worry if you were going to be in the teens for a couple nights in a row.

tommyadrian5
04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
No need to drain anything just for a freeze warning. It takes between 12-36 hours of hard freeze to do any damage. If the temp hit 40 the day before it would require 24 hours of sub 28 degree temps before there was any small chance of damage.

mitchelmilitiapres
04-11-2012, 07:55 PM
We've been riding since the second week of february. (in a shorty, which is no longer needed)

80 degree air 70 degree water!

ntidsl
04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Not a big deal. Did it twice this year too and chalk it up to bilge cleaning...that hot water steam cleans the bilge real nice!!! I always drain after cleaning the boat anytime before mid May and after October 1. I sleep better!!!

Latin Flyer
04-11-2012, 10:03 PM
No idea what you guys are talking about. There is only one season in Miami, ski season!!!!