PDA

View Full Version : Drain plug T-handle broken

tstoll
04-11-2012, 12:56 PM
just picked up an 06 X-15 and the center drain plug T handle is broken off has anyone had any luck removing this with it broken? need help

CantRepeat
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Is it the plastic one or brass?

Got a photo?

-V-
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
can you get a drill and an easy-out in there?

Brian B
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Drill up through the bottom. Tap it for a bolt. Run the bolt in and tighten, and it will thread out.....

Table Rocker
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM
The good news is: If you drill from the bottom, you won't need a left handed drill bit.

If there isn't enough of the handle left to get some Vice-Grips on, I would soak it with PB Blaster, drill a pilot hole from the bottom and then drill with about a 1/2" drill from underneath the boat. I would expect it to unscrew during the drilling.

bturner2
04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
If it's the plastic one you may want to consider just getting rid of it and putting the brass one in. It's most likely cross threaded and will need to be replaced anyway. I got rid of my plastic one two seasons ago and haven't had any problems since. As Forrest Gump says "it'll be one less thing" to worry about.

Jeff d
04-11-2012, 07:10 PM
If it's the plastic one, heat up an old flat head screwdriver with a torch then push it in. Let it cool then back it out.

MattsCraft
04-11-2012, 07:39 PM
If it's the plastic one, heat up an old flat head screwdriver with a torch then push it in. Let it cool then back it out.

Nice, I like this idea but sure curious how you could break one off.

ahhudgins
04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Nice, I like this idea but sure curious how you could break one off.

If it's plastic, it wouldn't be too hard depending on who tries to remove it. My oldest son told me that mine was stuck and it wouldn't unscrew. I jumped in the boat and watched him try to unscrew it in the wrong direction. I'm glad that mine is brass.:D

bturner2
04-12-2012, 08:59 AM
The plastic ones cross thread pretty easy. PO of my boat made a mess of the one originally in my boat to the point where it would leak. Was never a fan of this cost savings approach and neither was my dealer. This was corrected on my boat within weeks of getting it home.

tstoll
04-12-2012, 02:35 PM
No its a brass plug no clue how it broke off but its my problem to deal with now I think Im going to try and drill it out from the bottom, project for the weekend.

bobx1
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
The plastic ones cross thread pretty easy. PO of my boat made a mess of the one originally in my boat to the point where it would leak. Was never a fan of this cost savings approach and neither was my dealer. This was corrected on my boat within weeks of getting it home.

Yes, they do tend to cross thread and leak. I asked a dealer about switching out to brass but he seemed to indicate it would be a big deal as you would have to remove the existing plug (drilling, chipping, etc.) and if not careful, it could cause gel issues.

How simple was it and can you give a blow by blow of what you had to do?

bturner2
04-12-2012, 03:42 PM
I actually did an installation post on this.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32760

My dealer just warned me to be careful wit the 5200 they used when installing the plastic one. It really wasn't a big deal at all. I was ready for a two hour job, had a six pack of Miller Lite in a cooler next to the boat and everything. If I recall correctly the first beer didn't even get warm. I believe it took like 45 minutes to an hour including putting all the tools away.

bobx1
04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
^
Many thanks and nice write-up!!