PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Or Single Axle Trailer???

mybobtail
04-10-2012, 02:17 AM
hello to all my yankee ski mates (mmmmmm come to think of it i have none)
i am looking at getting a prostar 197 .i have noticed in a lot of the pics of boats in the US that a lot of boats are on single axle trailers.i like the idea of a smaller trailer my mc agent said he likes them as well but said here is oz that for resale we dont like them.
so was just trying to get some ideas pros and cons
ok thanks

madcityskier
04-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Always preferred single myself as they're just a bit easier to maneuver when pushing the boat tighter into the corner of the garage than I would want to drive it.

petermegan
04-10-2012, 04:40 AM
A friend has a 197 on a single and it is very heavy on the tow tongue and doesn't tow nearly as well as my tandem. His just snakes a bit behind the car. These are both Mastercraft trailers. Traditionally in Australia a 20' boat has been a bit big for a single trailer, maybe because we don't have the big tow rigs like in the US.

sleeporbutter
04-10-2012, 06:27 AM
I have a 197 on a tandem. I prefer the two axle mainly because much of the time I am pulling my boat to a lake over 1.5 hours away at freeway speed. If I was really close to the lake and rarely travelled far in my opinion a single axle would be fine.

-V-
04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
I perfer a double just for the fact that if a tire blows the other tire on that side will save the other rim, fender, wheel well and anything else.

BrooksfamX2
04-10-2012, 09:06 AM
We trailer everywhere , so I like a tandem, looks cooler also.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Tandem axle trailers tow down the road much more smoothly. I do agree that if you have to maneuver by hand in tight places they are unhandy at best.

Barefooter92
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Love the tandem for long road trips but hate it in the barn when maneurving by hand. I have a short commute once a year so the single works great for me. (MC on a single, Toon on a double)

FrankSchwab
04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I have a single under mine (really heavy boat for a single-axle, btw). Maneuvering is great with the single axle - U-turns, tight turnarounds, snaking around people parked on the ramp, all are really easy with the single compared with a double.

But, the single doesn't tow nearly as well. Speed bumps are an obvious issue - the boat gets lifted the entire height of the speed bump, then dropped. With a double axle, the boat barely gets lifted at all. If I have a blowout going down the road, it's gonna be a bad scene compared with a double axle.

With the amount of towing I do (60 miles each way to the lake once a week during the summer, and 5 hours to Lake Powell and back), I'd really prefer a double axle, but that's not what I've got.

/frank

LaRue
04-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I have a single under mine (really heavy boat for a single-axle, btw). Maneuvering is great with the single axle - U-turns, tight turnarounds, snaking around people parked on the ramp, all are really easy with the single compared with a double.

But, the single doesn't tow nearly as well. Speed bumps are an obvious issue - the boat gets lifted the entire height of the speed bump, then dropped. With a double axle, the boat barely gets lifted at all. If I have a blowout going down the road, it's gonna be a bad scene compared with a double axle.

With the amount of towing I do (60 miles each way to the lake once a week during the summer, and 5 hours to Lake Powell and back), I'd really prefer a double axle, but that's not what I've got.

/frank

my story is the same..only in Iowa. truly wish i had a tandem for all the towing we do but can't justify spending the cash, especially for our shorter season

ted shred
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I have had both, but I prefer a single. Much easier to maneuver. There is also maintanence costs of replacing 4 tires instead of 2. A single may have a heavier tounge weight than a tandem. If your tow vehicle can't handle the heavier tounge you can always go with a weight distributing hitch. There are models that will work with surge brake systems with no problems.

ncsone
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
I upgraded my 197 single axle trailer to a tandem, so I have had the luxury of trying each under the same boat. Yes, the single axle is easier to push around in a garage, but other than that, the tandem wins all of the other comparisons. The single axle does have a lot of tongue weight and tends to 'buck' when going down a less than ideal road. The tandem tracks better, rides smoother and gives you a safety margin in case of a tire blowout. Speaking from experience, it is no fun changing a single axle tire blow out on the side of the highway.

Sodar
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Tandem or triple all the way!

They tow so much better and look the part. I do understand about maneuvering as the added axles do make it tough. If I lived close to the lake and did not care what the boat looked like for the 5 mile commute to the water, I would have a single. Unfortunately, my 250 mile drive to use the boat makes the added axles necessary for piece of mind.

Below is the sexiest v-drive trailer I have ever seen. :cool:

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Nice. What rides on that thing?

ted shred
04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Tandem or triple all the way!

They tow so much better and look the part. I do understand about maneuvering as the added axles do make it tough. If I lived close to the lake and did not care what the boat looked like for the 5 mile commute to the water, I would have a single. Unfortunately, my 250 mile drive to use the boat makes the added axles necessary for piece of mind.

Below is the sexiest v-drive trailer I have ever seen. :cool:

NICE!!!!!!!

oxberger
04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I bet it ain't cheap whatever it is. :-)

76S&S
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Nice. What rides on that thing?

Inquiring minds want to know!:D

Sodar
04-10-2012, 02:06 PM
It holds a boat that I am certain every one of you is going to say is pointless. Even though they are probably the coolest fresh water boat under 25' out there! :cool:

21' Schiada.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
You weren't kidding about that trailer.:love:

Impressive detail in the boats. Lotta dollars spent there. Are they actually heavy enough to require a triple axle trailer, or is that all part of the over the top look?

oxberger
04-10-2012, 02:20 PM
The color on that boat is awesome! Is that 3 stage metal flake paint? You're not going to hear me say they are pointless, but I do love a go fast boat when driven with some sense. Hey, at least that one has a ski pylon.

Sodar
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
You weren't kidding about that trailer.:love:

Impressive detail in the boats. Lotta dollars spent there. Are they actually heavy enough to require a triple axle trailer, or is that all part of the over the top look?

No. Weight has nothing to do with them. There are a bunch on tandems too. This boat is my favorite Schiada of all time. It was a 100mph boat, but by looking at it, you could never tell. It was a total sleeper.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I've seen and skied behind some very nicest Shiadas and Halletts and would never say any of them was a waste!

Just about every boat that pulls skiers in the short tracks like Blue Water were one of the two brands.

Sodar
04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I've seen and skied behind some very nicest Shiadas and Halletts and would never say any of them was a waste!

Just about every boat that pulls skiers in the short tracks like Blue Water were one of the two brands.

The Schiadas and Halletts are out on their way out... it's all about the Nordics/Cyclones with big power now.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 02:52 PM
There is a guy in Nor Cal that has been running a Nordic for a long time, Think Warpath is the name on the boat. I don't remember his name.

I wouldn't think Halletts or Shiadas would lose that much ground in the speed skiing department. But I'd bet guys like Randy Davis, Bob Nixon and Ron Tesarski would buy whatever was fastest.

JohnE
04-10-2012, 03:00 PM
As far as OP goes, a 197 is fine on a single. I've towed my 197 and 214 on a bunch of 900 mile trips. Keep in mind that there a theory that the infamous blowouts are due to that added stress that the torsion axle places on the tires when turning. That's not my theory, it came from a former mc employee who works for a trailer mfg now. If I were buying a new mc I'd either go with a single axle mc trailer or more likely an aftermarket trailer. Then again, I hear that there is a new sheriff in the trailer dept at mc and he has made some significant improvements.

Sodar
04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
There is a guy in Nor Cal that has been running a Nordic for a long time, Think Warpath is the name on the boat. I don't remember his name.

I wouldn't think Halletts or Shiadas would lose that much ground in the speed skiing department. But I'd bet guys like Randy Davis, Bob Nixon and Ron Tesarski would buy whatever was fastest.

Pretty much all the big contenders are building overseas boats now. Bernicos, Forces, Cyclones and Connolleys. Schiadas are definitely still there, but a lot of them are slowly turning from race boats to play boats. There are a few Hallett 210's with big, big power and #6 drives too. The Wendt's had a couple bad a** Halletts, but I think I heard they bought a couple Cyclones in the last few years. I don't really know, as I have not been to a race in the last several years.

The Davis' actually owns Nordic now. He's been racing Cyclones since the early 2000's when they were still made in Australia. He basically bought Cyclone too after buying Nordic and moved the owner back to the states to build Cyclones under the Nordic name. I guess if you are basically supporting a boat company by your purchases, you might as well buy it! :)

Warpath (Mike Avila) is actually a 100% custom boat from the waterline up. The bottom though is a splash of a Wellscraft built by Martie Wells.

Tesarski is still around doing canvas work, but has stopped doing his interiors. I also think he only runs the Catalina race in his Outerlimits. I have not seen his name on any of the Marathon races in a long while.

Nixon... Is that the "Long Gone" boat? I've never actually seen it, just heard he was always in the running.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 03:50 PM
That sounds correct.

Nixon, Long Gone - 714 Davis in Prime Time, Ron in the 600.

I've been out of the game a lot longer then you have that's for sure. My buddy bought Ron's short track (sprint) boat a while back so that makes sense that Ron's not doing those races any longer.

Yup, Mike, was the Nor Cal President when I met him in Antioch. I'm not sure what boat anyone has these days.

I always remember everyone being so friendly and just having a good time.

I'll finish this highjack with a photo from the last Catalina Race I was grateful to be in.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/shameless.jpg

Great times with some great friends!

If I ever make it back to So Cal Cameron, we need to have some beers and swap some stories.

edit:

We were trying to get tickets to this years Weenie Roast out in Irvine to see The Offspring play but they sold out in 8 minutes!

kyfooter
04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I went with a single on my 197. I don't disagree with any of the comments about the tandem perhaps towing better, and certainly taking a little tounge weight off the vehicle. But a 2,600 lb boat doesn't need a tandem axle. Going with a tandem generally means you're just dropping capacities on the springs (or torsion) and axle itself anyway.

Does it look cool...absolutely. But the thought of having to replace 4 tires instead of two...no thanks. I prefer the maneuverability of the single over the looks of the tandem.

I have a tandem axle on my barefoot sanger...I'll gladly trade someone for a single.

ncsone
04-10-2012, 08:02 PM
The other thing I noticed about my single axle trailer was that it bounced a lot going down the road. Not sure if that is because of the fact that it has to ride up and over everything whereas a tandem goes over 1 axle at a time or if it was because of the higher spring rates required for a single axle.

Either way (SA or TA) get a good trailer, keep an eye on the tires and you should be OK.

toolz
04-10-2012, 10:21 PM
That sounds correct.

Nixon, Long Gone - 714 Davis in Prime Time, Ron in the 600.

I've been out of the game a lot longer then you have that's for sure. My buddy bought Ron's short track (sprint) boat a while back so that makes sense that Ron's not doing those races any longer.

Yup, Mike, was the Nor Cal President when I met him in Antioch. I'm not sure what boat anyone has these days.

I always remember everyone being so friendly and just having a good time.

I'll finish this highjack with a photo from the last Catalina Race I was grateful to be in.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/shameless.jpg

Great times with some great friends!

If I ever make it back to So Cal Cameron, we need to have some beers and swap some stories.

edit:

We were trying to get tickets to this years Weenie Roast out in Irvine to see The Offspring play but they sold out in 8 minutes!

I be lovin me some Fountains...

I'm a fan of tandem trailers, but mine's a single. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone added an axle to a single trailer?

Side note- I saw a MasterCraft trailer at a body shop this week- I think it was an '02. The spare tire post had broken off the frame, leaving a square hole, and the tire/post bent every crossmember as the trailer ran over it. Don't know what it did to the boat.

petermegan
04-11-2012, 03:51 AM
Footer, I think you are right in that it isn't necessarily a weight issue, I wonder perhaps it is more the length of the trailer for a boat. The load sharing of a tandem does absorb the bumps with rocker suspension. I reckon the pitching of a single is more from having the long A frame and too much overhang for one axle. Sodar I like the gas strut that guy has on his engine hood!!!

Patrick Hardy
04-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Mybobtail, If you only travel a short distance with the boat or have it on a boat lift all of the time, IMO buy the single axel trailer. But if you travel a lot with you boat, the tandem axel is the only way to go.

It holds a boat that I am certain every one of you is going to say is pointless. Even though they are probably the coolest fresh water boat under 25' out there! :cool:

21' Schiada.

Sodar, I would not say pointless! There is ALWAYS a need for speed, as the saying goes.

aarosurf
04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Go with the tandem, you never know when you might need to make a trip with the boat -- much more peace of mind with potential flats/blowouts. You might have to buy 4 tires instead of 2 but how often do you replace trailer tires anyway?

RMUDBUGS
04-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Wish I had a tandem for my PS 205. It would make towing less nerve racking. Alltough I did have a blow out at 65 mph on my single and it was not as bad as I expected. Easly controlled with no damage to the trailer but it destroyed the steel rim. For all those with a single, get a low profile jack. My siser jack would not fit under the trailer with the flat.