PDA

View Full Version : 2004 LQ9 X-Star Service discrepancies

So.Cal_X-Star
04-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Newbie post but wanted to get some valid information before I dig into servicing this boat.

History - Just purchased a 04 X-Star LQ9 with 280hrs. Boat has sat for approx one year until I demoed it. I am performing the following service for the 300hr mark and to get it up to par with my OCD mechanic standards.

Change engine and v drive oil, replace spark plugs and possible wires, Replace Serp belt, and flush closed cooling system with recommended coolant. Already replaced impeller, the steering cable, and converted to new style rudder which made a major difference.

There is conflicting information on what the oil capacity is for the LQ9 one manual says 7.5 with filter other says 5.5 with filter. Same with v drive oil ? Also what is the proper plugs and gap I purchased NGK TR-55 and gapped at .50 but wanted to make sure these are correct before instailling.

Any other insight and recommendations for 300hr service would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Look forward to hitting the water in a MC after years of headache in my Tige.

rhsprostar
04-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi
My notes on my LQ9 say that the plugs are the TR-55's gapped to .062.
The oil capacity is close to 7 and then I check with the dipstick.
I use the same oil 15-40 synthentic in my powersolt tranny about 4.5 quarts if memory serves. Again check the dipstick.

Enjoy your new boat!

Jerseydave
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Congrats on your boat purchase....you're going to love that wakeboard wake.
What prop is on it now? I'm running an OJ 14.75 X 15.5 and it's been great with my MCX.

Also for ballast, check the impellers and install green ones if they are black or yellow....you will get better performance from the green ones.

I don't use my rear hard tanks at all, but instead I connected the system to (2) 400# sacs in the rear lockers. I also sometimes run a 750# sac in the walkway if anyone wants a bigger wake.

Now......we need some pics of your new ride!

emnesto
04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
I found the same discrepency in oil capacity for LQ9. Checked with Indmar and found it's closer to 7 quarts because of the remote mounted oil filter and the hoses to connect. When I change my LQ9 oil it's right at 7 quarts.

So.Cal_X-Star
04-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the response did plugs, wires, new batteries, and oil she runs like a champ now http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/DezertTacoma/IMAG0535.jpg

cwarndahl
04-12-2012, 12:54 PM
sweet boat, congrats on the new purchase!