PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone run a 2nd bow strap for safety?

gts-20
04-09-2012, 01:59 PM
We are trailerig to TSR in San Marcus from Houston this Friday. We have made this trip , and several other trips of this distance before with out any problems, but I have never used a secondary "bow strap" from the bow eye to the trailer. I have had these on all my previous boats for safety, but have never gotten around to putting one on the PS214.

Does anyone here use them? And, do you use a chain, cable, or "Boat Buckle"?

thanks in advance for your help.

p.s. We do use rear straps for any tow farther than the 200 feet from the storage to our ramp.

NatesGr8
04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
I have often thought this same thing. I never use a second bow strap. That being said I always inspect mine for any obvious defects prior to any long haul.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I use a Boat Buckle bow tie down everywhere I go unless it's just a trip around the lake to or from the launch.

But I also always run my blower motor before I restart;)

tph
04-09-2012, 02:02 PM
I installed a chain with a hook in addition to the winch and strap primarily because I had a strap break while pulling the boat out of a ramp.

CantRepeat
04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I have three attachment points now.

Boat buddy, strap, and a boat buckle.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/bow.jpg

McDye
04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I use a safety chain on bow.

Patrick Hardy
04-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I have always used a walmart, Boaters world or Overton's inexpensive bow tie down strap for 15 years, traveling up and down the US West Coast every year. I have never had one fail or release yet. They are inexpensive tools for peace of mind traveling.

pram
04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
I have the boat buddy, the winch strap, 5/16" G.A.C. with a double crimped thimble going through a 2T shackle plus I put an extra eye bolt in under the existing one that has a hinged 3/8" steel plate welded to the frame with additional gussets, C3x5 channel underneath and a 4140 3/4" Heat treated securing pin with a lock on one end as opposed to a spring pin

4 tie downs at the back on each side, 1-4" strap over the gunnels at the back and one in the middle and last but not least I super glue the bunks and don't move the boat for 24 hours or when the glue sets which ever takes longer

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

bkblaida
04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
We use a chain in addition to the strap.

Quinten
04-09-2012, 02:39 PM
We always juse a bow tie dow
on our previous boat one like in the first pic.
Now something like in the second pic, probaly it wil changed to the first pic after a bit of modifying on the trailer.

CantRepeat
04-09-2012, 02:59 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

This was the best part of your post. :rolleyes:

Ok, I like the super glue idea as well. :D

east tx skier
04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I installed a chain with a hook in addition to the winch and strap primarily because I had a strap break while pulling the boat out of a ramp.

+1. I have a large chain and hook that runs backup duty for the strap.

BrooksfamX2
04-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Bow safety chain here...........

Jeff d
04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Winch strap + chain on the front and a pair of boat buckles on the back:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=60497&stc=1&d=1281296625

BTW it's hard to see in the pic but there is a wire retainer on that hook.

After seeing some wreck pics where the boat has torn that upright off I've considered something rigid like a large turnbuckle to the main beam of the trailer either in place of or in addition to the chain. Probably overkill given the fact that I have the rear tied down firmly too.

Forrest-X45
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
After seeing pics of broken bow straps on the ramp I have added a bow safety chain for peace of mind. I now sleep better at night. :D

Jeff d
04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
After seeing pics of broken bow straps on the ramp I have added a bow safety chain for peace of mind. I now sleep better at night. :D

That's a concern but I'm more worried about a minor fender bender on the road turning into a major disaster with my boat on the road.

BrooksfamX2
04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
That's a concern but I'm more worried about a minor fender bender on the road turning into a major disaster with my boat on the road.

Or in the bed of your pick up............

pram
04-09-2012, 04:06 PM
This was the best part of your post. :rolleyes:

Ok, I like the super glue idea as well. :D

the super glue is classic

I have the boat buddy as my back up to the winch strap

if both of those break, I have way bigger problems than worrying about my boat coming off of the trailer

pram
04-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Or in the bed of your pick up............

wait do you not strap the back of your boat down?

pram
04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Winch strap + chain on the front and a pair of boat buckles on the back:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=60497&stc=1&d=1281296625

BTW it's hard to see in the pic but there is a wire retainer on that hook.

After seeing some wreck pics where the boat has torn that upright off I've considered something rigid like a large turnbuckle to the main beam of the trailer either in place of or in addition to the chain. Probably overkill given the fact that I have the rear tied down firmly too.

I like the orange roller, did you not like the boat buddy?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-09-2012, 04:23 PM
I have the boat buddy, the winch strap, 5/16" G.A.C. with a double crimped thimble going through a 2T shackle plus I put an extra eye bolt in under the existing one that has a hinged 3/8" steel plate welded to the frame with additional gussets, C3x5 channel underneath and a 4140 3/4" Heat treated securing pin with a lock on one end as opposed to a spring pin

4 tie downs at the back on each side, 1-4" strap over the gunnels at the back and one in the middle and last but not least I super glue the bunks and don't move the boat for 24 hours or when the glue sets which ever takes longer

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

I was with you until you reached the point of super glue on your bunks. Everyone knows it would never hold with the carpet. :confused::D:D

pram
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I was with you until you reached the point of super glue on your bunks. Everyone knows it would never hold with the carpet. :confused::D:D

ah snap, I never thought about the coefficient of adhesion between the carpet and the actual bunk being a factor

Jeff d
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I like the orange roller, did you not like the boat buddy?

My boat buddy was used and abused when I bought the boat. I opted to go to the roller instead of replacing it with another boat buddy:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36179

gts-20
04-09-2012, 05:28 PM
I have three attachment points now.

Boat buddy, strap, and a boat buckle.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/bow.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see it in your pic, but there is a blue steel ring welded to the trailer on the far right, just after the trailer frame "Y's" off. I was planning on using that on my trailer as an anchor point for the additionl bow strap. Anyone know if that will work? I'd rather not have to drill any holes in the trailer.

CantRepeat
04-09-2012, 05:39 PM
I think the only issue with that is that the boat would slide back pretty far before anything attach to that would go tight.

-V-
04-09-2012, 05:39 PM
From San Antonio (just south of San Marcus) to here in CLevland ohio. 25 hours straight, only the regular strap on her. nothing more, nothing special.

gts-20
04-09-2012, 08:52 PM
I think the only issue with that is that the boat would slide back pretty far before anything attach to that would go tight.

Good point. Looks like its time to recharge the drill...

oldairboater
04-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I have a separate safety chain the clips to the eye and is bolted to the trailer. A second safety system. I have one on all three boats. I have had winch straps break before...

Cobra Rob
04-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I probably have one of the larger boats in this thread with the X45. But I have never seen anyone in my area with an X series strap the rear down. I never use anything other than bow strap for regular 20mile ride to ramp. Anything further I will throw a chain on the bow too but still don't worry about the rear. The thing is a PITA to get off the bunks when it's wet and 1/2 in the water, I have not seen any evidence of it shifting on the trailer at all.

AZX9
04-10-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure if you can see it in your pic, but there is a blue steel ring welded to the trailer on the far right, just after the trailer frame "Y's" off. I was planning on using that on my trailer as an anchor point for the additionl bow strap. Anyone know if that will work? I'd rather not have to drill any holes in the trailer.

Are the three holding devises not enough? It already looks like an old man wearing a belt and suspenders. I think your covered.

gts-20
04-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Are the three holding devises not enough? It already looks like an old man wearing a belt and suspenders. I think your covered.

Nice, thanks for reading the whole thread before commenting. That pic is not of my boat. I just used it as an example. Currently I only have the winch strap to secure the bow. I have seen minor accidents that ended up totaling boats because the winch strap failed allowing the boat to leave the trailer.

onewheat
04-10-2012, 02:18 AM
On our first boat, we were traveling on the highway and traffic went from 55 to 0 in a heartbeat. We rear-ended the car in front of us, one rear tiedown ripped at the threads, the other side straightened out a hook and it twisted the front winch almost 180. Luckily, the winch strap held. The boat moved forward about 2 feet on the trailer and almost poked through the rear window of out Blazer. I ALWAYS have all straps on the boat if I am going out on the road. Anything less is just irresponsible.

AZX9
04-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Nice, thanks for reading the whole thread before commenting. That pic is not of my boat. I just used it as an example. Currently I only have the winch strap to secure the bow. I have seen minor accidents that ended up totaling boats because the winch strap failed allowing the boat to leave the trailer.

Sorry if I missed that. I read through all the Posts and didn't catch that this wasn't your boat.

I am a firm believer that straps don't keep the boat on the trailer, they keep the trailer on the boat. Can't hurt though.

agua4fun
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I broke my winch strap at the ramp last fall with little effort while "snugging up" the winch after using the boat buddy. completely tore in half with almost no effort. i was also one who didnt tie down the front of the boat with anything extra if going less than 50 miles. it was original and 10 years old. trailer sat empty outside in the summer and id bet the sun was a factor.
I suggest changing the winch strap to anyone thats not using another tie down. Its cheap and takes less than 5 min.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Sorry if I missed that. I read through all the Posts and didn't catch that this wasn't your boat.

I am a firm believer that straps don't keep the boat on the trailer, they keep the trailer on the boat. Can't hurt though.

Really? Well then I guess you just need to google about boats sliding off trailers after being loaded.

BrooksfamX2
04-10-2012, 10:04 AM
wait do you not strap the back of your boat down?

Uh....yes, why????

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
No need for a second tie down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zYAwMPZBGU

thatsmrmastercraft
04-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Great video.

pram
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Uh....yes, why????

You said or in the back of your truck

I would think that the rear tie downs would stop it from going forward, that is where the query came from

pram
04-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I broke my winch strap at the ramp last fall with little effort while "snugging up" the winch after using the boat buddy. completely tore in half with almost no effort. i was also one who didnt tie down the front of the boat with anything extra if going less than 50 miles. it was original and 10 years old. trailer sat empty outside in the summer and id bet the sun was a factor.
I suggest changing the winch strap to anyone thats not using another tie down. Its cheap and takes less than 5 min.

Do you not consider the boat buddy a secondary point on your trailer?

pram
04-10-2012, 01:09 PM

I had to help a guy put his boat back on the trailer like that one time. He didn't click the lock on his winch, had no boat buddy and didn't hook his safety chain up. Went up a bumpy dirt road boat rolled right off the trailer

gts-20
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Do you not consider the boat buddy a secondary point on your trailer?

The boat buddy is not made to be enguaged while towing. Only while pulling up the ramp.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
The boat buddy is not made to be enguaged while towing. Only while pulling up the ramp.

I think you'd be wrong in that assumption.

One of the selling points is:

Increased safety during loading and trailering.

It is most certainly made to be engaged during towing. It may not be designed to be the only or single security for the boat but sure is designed to be a backup/secondary/towing point.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 01:44 PM
I had to help a guy put his boat back on the trailer like that one time. He didn't click the lock on his winch, had no boat buddy and didn't hook his safety chain up. Went up a bumpy dirt road boat rolled right off the trailer

That sucks!!

I know there are few post/threads on here where folks didn't hook up at the launch and started to drive off and the boat drop off the trailer on or near the ramp. Some of them are terrible to look at with brand new boats just crying on the pavement!

pmkkdx
04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I replaced the boat buddy (abused prior to being mine) with an orange roller (per advice on here) with the addition of a trailer safety chain (with spring retainer) and quick link to secure to the winch post as a back up to the winch strap.

http://www.iboats.com/Fulton-Trailer-Safety-Chains/dm/cart_id.483328861--session_id.451130521--view_id.885954

http://www.iboats.com/Fulton-Trailer-Safety-Chains/dm/cart_id.483328861--session_id.451130521--view_id.885954

I only put on the rear straps if I am trailering over a distance (only ~5 miles from garage to ramp on home lake, no rear strap).

gts-20
04-10-2012, 02:07 PM

It is most certainly made to be engaged during towing. It may not be designed to be the only or single security for the boat but sure is designed to be a backup/secondary/towing point.

opps, sorry about that. I stand corrected. I was just going by what our servicing dealer told me. He said that towing with the pin enguaged will cause it to bend, and no longer operate correctly.

pmkkdx
04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
opps, sorry about that. I stand corrected. I was just going by what our servicing dealer told me. He said that towing with the pin enguaged will cause it to bend, and no longer operate correctly.

that's what the problem was with the one I took off ... but not sure if it was done during towing or someone forgetting to set the pin to open while trying to load or unload.

willyt
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
i will say that if you have some time and a good hammer if the pin is bent on your boat buddy you can repair it... was down in norris last year for almost a week. one rainy day i took the boat buddy off the trailer and started banging on it with a hammer. bent the pin back in place and works like new now.

pram
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM

I personally consider the boat buddy to be a perfectly acceptable backup holding point.

Mastercraft must also or I would expect to see a secondary safety chain on my boat

east tx skier
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM

This is true. And precisely the reason I didn't use it while towing when I had one.

BrooksfamX2
04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Towing with the pin engaged can also wear a groove in the bow eye. Several have experienced this.

BrooksfamX2
04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I personally consider the boat buddy to be a perfectly acceptable backup holding point.

Mastercraft must also or I would expect to see a secondary safety chain on my boat

I have had many boats in my life time and none came from the factory with a bow safety chain as standard equipment, but I added it to every one.

MattsCraft
04-10-2012, 04:03 PM
4 seasons using a Boat Buddy and winch strap only, never had a problem. I do use rear straps, but once the boat is fully loaded it never moves back and has about 1/4" clearance from the pin and bow eye U bolt. Ceratainly you can bend the pin if you ram into it in the closed position.

I think the shear strength for that size pin is about 70,000 PSI!

JohnE
04-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I havent read the whole thread, but I use a boat buckle tie down in the front as an added safety on long trips.

Brian B
04-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Is a boat buddy and stock winch not sufficient?

Sodar
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM

LOL!!

Perfectly sufficient. Just be sure to check your winch strap for any deterioration or wear.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM

The two combined are perfect. The winch as primary and the boat buddy as a secondary are just fine.

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
LOL!!

Perfectly sufficient. Just be sure to check your winch strap for any deterioration or wear.

This is the one thing most people should be worried about. Dry rot is the biggest issue. As long as you have a secondary attachment they you'll be fine.

The biggest reason I added the the boat buckle up front is I plan to remove the boat buddy at some point and move over to a clear roller.

psychobilly
04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
As a few have stated, it's always a good idear ta have a secondary. As you seen on my boat I didn't have a secondary, only that cable running from the eye to astern. That's a good idea to have if you have a brake check on the freeway! ;-) now when I tow long distance I usually use a bow line as a secondary but I like that strap idear you posted a pick of and IMHO I think it's great value.

One time that bow line around the trailer winch mount saved me on my skiff when the bow eye broke. Now mind ya, it's home made and the likelihood of your MC factory eye separating is slim to none, I reckon the hazard is still there.

Great topic gts-20, I think I'll add one of these to my to do list.

JDC
04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I suggest changing the winch strap to anyone thats not using another tie down. Its cheap and takes less than 5 min.After seeing aqua4fun's picture I realized I should know better. Being a skydiver I know first hand that nylon gets degraded by sunlight and is why we don't leave our parachutes lay on the ground for very long after a skydive. I should have put 2 & 2 together that the part of the bow strap that's exposed to the sun more than the rest, will suffer the most. :o

Being a parachute rigger, I figured I could easily add some life to my strap. I cut off about 1-1/2 feet of my strap and reattached it to the hook as it was originally.

You can see the difference from the sunlight fading. And in the last photo you can see the strap had been twisted (previous owner) and the one edge was folded in and was not in the sun as much.

I know a new strap is cheap and easy to replace, but having the sewing machine already set up for rigging, it was easy and free for me. ;)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Ever since this thread came up I thought about this, and added one this weekend, my trailer already had an eyelet welded to the roller bar so it was simple to add chain and a hook.