PDA

View Full Version : Raw water pump - will just the seal fix it?

CruisinGA
04-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Put the boat back in Friday for the first time. Noticed a steady drip from the raw water pump.

I read the 'Official Indmar' instructions for replacing the shaft seal from Engine Nut-
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=168509&postcount=2

It looks like Skidim only carries the seal, but it appears there are other wear parts. How often does just the seal fix the issue? I'm aware that if the bearings are shot, the new seal will quickly wear out.

715 hrs on '01 LTR

blackcreek
04-09-2012, 08:18 AM
I put a new seal in mine a few years back and the pump is still working fine. I was getting a few drips while running so I just swapped out the seal only.

-V-
04-09-2012, 08:43 AM
I bought a rebuild kit and found out that my pump was missing a washer. There is a washer that goes between the impeller and the seal inside of the raw water pump.

erkoehler
04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
We usually just replace the pump.

CruisinGA
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
-V- Where did you get that rebuild kit? Is it the one that includes an impellar?

Eric- Understood. However, With all the expenses at the beginning of the season, it sure would be nice to buy a $10 seal vs. a $200+ pump.

76S&S
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
For $10 bucks give it a try........you only gave up a few beers if it doesn't work.

-V-
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
see this thread.......

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46372

I put pics in there so you can see where mine was leaking. It also has the link for the kit. I didn't need a press or anything, just some "ingenuity" to get er dun......lol

mayo93prostar
04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Skidim has parts for the pump. Give them a call. I recently fully rebuilt a sherwood pump on a 1982 stars and stripes with all parts from skidim including seal, bearings, clips, impeller, gasket, and wear plate.

CruisinGA
04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Skidim has parts for the pump. Give them a call. I recently fully rebuilt a sherwood pump on a 1982 stars and stripes with all parts from skidim including seal, bearings, clips, impeller, gasket, and wear plate.

They show all the sherwood pump parts, but not Johnson. Doesn't matter, ordered the seal, hopefully that does it!

Thrall
04-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Replaced just the seal on my '96 at 300?hrs. Put another 200hrs on the boat before I sold it. Never leaked. CHeap, easy fix although mine was low hrs. If you have higher hours, I'd jsut pony up the couple extra bucks and replace the pump. They're not very expensive IIRC.

CruisinGA
04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Replaced just the seal on my '96 at 300?hrs. Put another 200hrs on the boat before I sold it. Never leaked. CHeap, easy fix although mine was low hrs. If you have higher hours, I'd jsut pony up the couple extra bucks and replace the pump. They're not very expensive IIRC.

Did you change the seal like Skidim recommends with needle nose pliers while the pump is mounted, or did you remove the pump and disassemble?

New pump is around $200. Not going to break the bank, but just had to buy a new MDC 1600 gauge controller, new decals and just had a seat reupholstered. Things start to add up after awhile. :D

76S&S
04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
but just had to buy a new MDC 1600 gauge controller, . :D

What were the symptoms that led you to buy the gauge controller? I've got some crap going on with a few of mine and I notice that we have the same year.:mad:

thx

CruisinGA
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I forgot to unplug the speedo hose last winter and the water left in the transducer housing froze, broke the seal and then when I dropped the boat in the water Friday, water pushed through the hose and into the controller and ruined it.

However, I have always had an inaccurate voltmeter and very oddly behaving oil pressure gauge. Hoping this fixes those issues as well.

76S&S
04-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks, but it doesn't sound like my issue. My tach is all of the sudden innacurate ( it doesn't reset to zero at startup) and my voltmeter is inconsistent as well.

Tach sometimes doesn't go down as rpm's decrease............sounds like more parts to order...

Thrall
04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
For $200, I'd do the seal.
I don't remember for sure, but I think I removed the r/w pump to repalce the seal.
Either way, it was not a major project....2-3beer job.

CruisinGA
04-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Got the seal, pulled the pump and took it apart today.

One bearing was on it's way out, the other was long gone and came apart when I was removing it. Looks like a 6203 bearing, going to measure tomorrow and get a couple replacements locally. Oughta be good for another 11 years.