PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Johnson ballast pumps

jdeml
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Jabsco pumps went out. Looking at Johnsons as they are a little cheaper. quick question before I pull the trigger. Can I just swith these pumps out? Or do I need to do additional wiring or things to know. I figure I can just unplug the wire from the Jabsco and hook up the johnson right??? All switches will work right? Thanks

CantRepeat
04-09-2012, 08:12 AM
They look like standard two wire installation pumps.

http://media.wakemakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/johnson-ultra-ballast-pump-installation-instructions.pdf

jdeml
04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah thats what I figured but wanted to make sure. Thanks

jason@wakemakers.com
04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I just realized there is a new sub-form for ballast on this site, what a great addition!

Switching to Johnson's will depend on what year your boat is. We haven't done that upgrade in our shop yet, but have had conflicting reports from customers with regards to the AI module compatibility with the Johnson pumps.

If you want to give it a try we'd be happy to help provide support where we can, and if it doesn't work we can swap them for Jabscos.

Jeff d
04-10-2012, 05:11 PM
His profile shows an '04 Xstar so he shouldn't have the AI/timer modules. Johnson pumps should be "plug and play" (you may actually have to splice on the OEM quick disconnect from the ballast puppy though).

jason@wakemakers.com
04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Duh, guess I should have check there! Yep, should be pretty straight forward, just grab a few (four to be exact) 12AWG butt connectors with your pumps and you'll be set.