PDA

View Full Version : Kneeboard accident

Farmer Ted
08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Not too many details, but a very good reminder to slow down and keep the fun SAFE!

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050815/NEWS01/508150320

Teen in good condition after losing arm
August 15, 2005
By Loresha Wilson

ljwilson@gannett.com

Oil City resident Ronnie Cameron and a friend were fishing on Cross Lake on Saturday when they noticed three girls standing in a boat waving their hands.

"It's like they were in distress and I knew something was wrong," Cameron, 46, said.

He was about 50 yards from the other boat when he heard the females say that a little girl had been injured.

"I thought maybe she had scraped her arm or leg skiing," he said. "So I told them to go to Barron's (Landing and Grocery). When I got there I realized she had lost her arm. It's just unbelievable. That's all I keep thinking about."

Late Sunday, Ann Marie Haynie was listed in good condition at LSU Hospital in Shreveport, according to hospital officials.

The 13-year-old daughter of Dr. Richard and Michelle Haynie was kneeboarding Saturday on the lake when her right arm got tangled in the rope and was amputated. Her mother and three other teens who also were on the boat rushed the girl to shore, where employees at Barron's called 911.

Shreveport Fire Department's dive and K-9 teams, with help from agents of Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries and Cross Lake patrol, spent almost six hours Sunday searching for the teenager's limb. Fire Capt. Kerry Foster said the heat posed a danger to the search crew in the water, and they were forced to call the search off.

"We had divers in the water, but we had no witnesses to really put us near the area where the accident actually occurred."

Several members of Grace Community Church in Shreveport, where Haynie and her family are members, spent time at LSU Hospital both Saturday and Sunday visiting with the teenager. It appears she's in good spirits, they said.

Thirteen-year-old Mason Nabors expressed his thoughts in a get-well card created by the youths of Grace on Sunday. The card is in addition to his many prayers for a speedy recovery.

"Ann Marie is really awesome, really humorous and really upbeat," he said. "She is still the same person. She didn't lose a life, she just lost an arm."

The Rev. Rob Weber said it's the mission of the church to bound together in a moment of caring. "We've been present and we will continue to be present. We want to be supportive, but without being smothering."

erkoehler
08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
:noface: Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt!

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Wow, that just makes me cringe. The driver and skier have to pay attention.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-15-2005, 02:29 PM
I know we dont have all the facts, but that sounds like a bad boat driver to me and a TERRIBLE spotter. when someone falls or is in trouble, you need to react NOW!!! Stop the boat!!!!!! This is very sad and very unfortunate. I feel bad for the kid that lost her arm, I cant imagine waht she is going through. I imagine the boat driver feels like $*(%&@. I know I would. Even when I am driving, I still am aware of whats going on with the skier. I watch them in the mirror to make sure all is ok. I know thats waht the spotter is for,but in our area we hardly ever have to watch for other boats or anything, so I stay aware of the skier as much as possible without disctracting myself form boat driving.

AirJunky
08-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Man, thats rough....... and to make it even more amazing.

http://www.nwcn.com/topstories/stories/NW_081505WABjetskiaxSW.76d14b40.html

Leroy
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
That is really sad to hear. I've heard enough where I want the nylon cover that goes over the handle opening.

John B
08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Not sure if you can blame the driver or the spotter for that.
If you get slack in the rope and it wraps your arm,hand,leg,or head when the slack come out the rope with cut like a knife.
It would happen in a split second.Yu would not have time to react.
It makes you wonder where is that rope when you fall. :confused:

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Years ago, my brother had a rope accident...he was skiing and warpped his arm in the rope to rest.....lost his balance and fell...he was ok, just bruised up pretty badly.....

I am a real stickler about the ropes now....no one pulls in slack, or holds anywhere but the handle...

All those handles on tubes get me nervous too...I pull two tubes alot and sometimes the kids (teenagers) will swap tubes...I am ALWAYS wary of what goes on....

you probably can't blame the driver here or the spotter, sometimes things go wrong way too fast....

stevo137
08-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Not sure if you can blame the driver or the spotter for that.
If you get slack in the rope and it wraps your arm,hand,leg,or head when the slack come out the rope with cut like a knife.
It would happen in a split second.Yu would not have time to react.
It makes you wonder where is that rope when you fall. :confused:
This is terrible news.
It does make you wonder sometimes John B. Like that terrible story about the guy that somehow the handle broke his neck and killed him during a cut.
As mentioned earlier, things can happen so fast during watersports.
I'm sure that's why they have so many warnings on all of the equipment and gear.
It even says, "death can occur" on our ski's.

AirJunky
08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
I am a real stickler about the ropes now....no one pulls in slack, or holds anywhere but the handle...
So do you use a quick release?
We use one made by Cinchmax (http://cinchmax.com/) I like it because I don't need to use a spotter that is paying attention 110%, but it will break lose before my arm does. I've had several riders, including myself, get it release a few times.
Bet it would have saved both these girls' arms.

bcampbe7
08-15-2005, 03:26 PM
We use one made by Cinchmax (http://cinchmax.com/) I like it because I don't need to use a spotter that is paying attention 110%, but it will break lose before my arm does. I've had several riders, including myself, get it release a few times.
Bet it would have saved both these girls' arms.

How does that work AJ? Couldn't really tell from the website.

AirJunky
08-15-2005, 03:30 PM
How does that work AJ? Couldn't really tell from the website.
Their made of velcro. I know it sounds bizarre but they work. The velcro will release when it needs to. I can load the rope up in a big backroll or front flip & it still won't disengage. But get my arm or foil caught in the handle & it cuts lose.

RickDV
08-15-2005, 04:31 PM
On our show ski team we use a quick release, but injuries can happen so quickly. Folks have to pay attention.

Ultimately it is the boat driver (that's us, for the most part) who is responsible to make sure the boat and riders are operating in a safe manner.

This is a solemn reminder of our responsibilities.

east tx skier
08-15-2005, 09:05 PM
That's really awful. Those great days on the water can turn bad in a hurry.

Farmer Ted
08-16-2005, 12:52 PM
saw a blurb on the news last night, they were in a Malibu. Not to say that Malibu drivers are idiots but I figured the boat to have been a Bayliner or something like that.

I guess if the wife and girls are going out they need to be sure to be safe!

Dan K
08-16-2005, 12:59 PM
I can't shake the thought of this one for some reason. My heart goes out to this girl and all involved. This sport is so family oriented that any type of tragedy cuts pretty deep.
One more reminder that no matter how much fun we are having, it is our responsibility to make sure everybody is safe. A number of times I have been the bad guy calling an end to what appeared to be fun in the interest of safety. We had called an end to a ski session recently becuase there were a couple of careless boater on our lake that just presented too much risk at the time.

Hoff1
08-16-2005, 01:22 PM
I was involved in a tubing accident that left a 6 inch scar on my neck from the rope. It ended up being only a flesh wound (plus concussion), but it has changed the way all of my friends think about tubing and riding rough. None of us have towed a tube in 6 years just from the thought of what could have happened. The tube busted out of the cover and the owner never put the cover back on the tube.

Davo
08-16-2005, 02:35 PM
I've heard of the tubing accidents where the rider gets thrown or slips over the front and wrapped around the rope.

It happened to my friends brother (behind a jet ski) and ripped up his bicep/tricep pretty good. In his case the driver did not notice what had happened and hit the throttle.

I feel so bad for both these girls. Thanks for posting though - we need to be reminded how dangerous the rope can be.

maristarman
08-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Don't forget about the idiots that totally ignore the warning on the tubes that says not to go faster than 20 mph and think it's hilarious to shoot the whip with the tube going 30 mph +.

88 PS190
08-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Was the knee board accident behind a jet ski or a malibu, seems both were mentioned.

For tubing make sure to use a good tubing rope built for the task, esp. with larger tubes aim for a rope much higher than its actual strength.

This last summer we had a tube flip, take water into the cover and blast a loaded rope into the boat, and nailing the spotter's hand, which proceeded to swell up. Also our tubers wear gloves, as i've seen and personally grabbed the cover's edge w/o on a fall and cut my fingers pretty bad, definately not a great move but it was reflex... with gloves there is more protection.

mcprostar197
08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
So the rope twisted around her arm so hard that it chopped it off?! That sucks.

SydneyFletcher
06-02-2006, 01:29 AM
you people are flat out stupid. it wasn't in malibu. it was in shreveport. she is one of my close friends, her mother was driving the boat and she is one of the most gorgeous girls i have ever seen in my life. she is on varsity lacrosse, can tie her shoe with one arm, is a freshman cheerleader, and was one of louisiana's young heroes. so if you don't know her, her mother, or the three girls in the incident. i would supposed you would not go suspecting anything that was out of the oridinary.

bradamerry
06-02-2006, 07:44 AM
you people are flat out stupid. it wasn't in malibu. it was in shreveport. she is one of my close friends, her mother was driving the boat and she is one of the most gorgeous girls i have ever seen in my life. she is on varsity lacrosse, can tie her shoe with one arm, is a freshman cheerleader, and was one of louisiana's young heroes. so if you don't know her, her mother, or the three girls in the incident. i would supposed you would not go suspecting anything that was out of the oridinary.
Everybody knows it was in Shreveport, not Malibu. It was in a Malibu BOAT. Now who looks stupid.. Welcome to the board..

Farmer Ted
06-02-2006, 08:21 AM

????

Before you go and call "us" people flat out stupid, go back and read the first post.

We were well aware of the fact that the accident occurred in Shreveport in a Malibu boat.

Why don't you clue us in to the details of this tragic accident if you're so "in the know"?

If you want to bag on someoe for being "stupid" email the reporter (ljwilson@gannett.com) that wrote the story and ask her why she chose to use the word amputated in her story (leads one to believe that the kids arm was cut off intentionally) instead of severed?

So in keeping with the spirit and intent of the thread, help us all learn from this and explain how this happened so we don't all make this terrible mistake.

jimmer2880
06-02-2006, 08:37 AM
2 things. First, following Farmer's lead... yes, pls give us the details so I can teach my 2 very young daughters so they don't do the same thing.

Second, AirJunky, do you know anyone who uses one for slalom? Are they strong enough for that (pls forgive me, if a foiler pulls harder than a slalom skier - I have never had the opportunity to pull a foiler. Wish I would - I could see myself getting very addicted very quickly).

Cloaked
06-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Bet it would have saved both these girls' arms.This is almost a must for safety equipment. Started way back when, with toe tricks in competetion (and practice as well).

Another less than desirable scenario is a ding-a-ling boater passing between a fallen skier and the boat (I've seen it more than once) or a line that is out for immediate use and a passing boater is not paying attention. Quick release to allow the rope detach from the tow boat.

Safety is number 1.

88 PS190
06-02-2006, 10:35 AM
so is this cinch release just two velcro straps that separate when too much tension is added?

If so i'd believe it not to work for slalom due to the line loading that skiers can produce.

Mechanical releases such as the ones used for trick, or a rope release held by someone in the boat can mitigate such risks by being able to release the line when you see the rider fall. This is helpful if someone attempts a spin and gets wrapped in the line etc. A rope release can be made simply by cutting a section of old ski line around 2 feet long with the spliced pylon end on it still.

The pylon loop is attached normally, then the tag end passes through the loop on the riders line and then the tag end is wrapped around the pylon twice.

After the rider gets up you can adjust the amount of retention by unwraping the pylon once, or for really light riders you can unwrap the the tag end just "breaks" around the pylon slightly as they don't pull that hard.

If you find you can't hold it wrap a bit more, but on any sort of fall that line is not going to stay in your hand.

*make sure that the rider's line does not go over any knots on the tag line, or the knot for the splice because it will hang up and remain there*

*additionally add a float to the end of the rider's line to make retrieving it easier.

tex
06-02-2006, 11:47 AM
So before anyone calls me stupid, I have put my arm throught he handle before. Broke my arm in 3 places, tore and crushed my bicep. I was on a show ski release. They are only as good as the person pulling them. The velcro one that the sky skiers are using seem to work great. Horrible accidents suffered by these young girls. My heart goes out to them and the people involved. I will tell you this, My buddy Shan who missed the pin when I wrecked...He would be the first person that I would ask to pin for me now. He will never miss another one. He went through as much mentally as I did physically. I wish only the best for all involved.

jimmer2880
06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
So before anyone calls me stupid, I have put my arm throught he handle before. Broke my arm in 3 places, tore and crushed my bicep. I was on a show ski release. They are only as good as the person pulling them. The velcro one that the sky skiers are using seem to work great. Horrible accidents suffered by these young girls. My heart goes out to them and the people involved. I will tell you this, My buddy Shan who missed the pin when I wrecked...He would be the first person that I would ask to pin for me now. He will never miss another one. He went through as much mentally as I did physically. I wish only the best for all involved.

You know you have a good friend when they go through that much mentally (even though you wish they wouldn't). I got hurt once doing an around the boat (wicked wind chop) during a show. The driver never forgot. I really had to talk him into pulling another one. I said that I needed to get back on my horse. Honestly, he did too.

Anyway - it's good to have those kind of friends. My heart, thoughts & prayers go out to the girl, her friends who were with her, and her parents. This is going to be one tough journey.

Hoosier Bob
06-02-2006, 08:54 PM
First of all Sydney welcome to the site. Secondly I have a hard time after reading all of the posts of concern to back your claim of stupidity. I walked away with a feeling of trajedy and reminder of what it takes as a boater to understand the consequences. It is your friend and not ours but I have only read caring comments with regards to the incident. In the future if one of us is acting out of line use the quote function so we can address your comments. We are all very close here and do a very solid job of taking care of our fellow MasterCraft brothers and sisters as well as any boaters in general. That being said your first post was big one and maybe should be clarified? If you feel so strongly post some links of the friend involved so we may all share in her success. I wish her well as it appears all do on this site. :confused: you people are flat out stupid. it wasn't in malibu. it was in shreveport. she is one of my close friends, her mother was driving the boat and she is one of the most gorgeous girls i have ever seen in my life. she is on varsity lacrosse, can tie her shoe with one arm, is a freshman cheerleader, and was one of louisiana's young heroes. so if you don't know her, her mother, or the three girls in the incident. i would supposed you would not go suspecting anything that was out of the oridinary.

86Craft
06-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Shoot...
I wish her, and her family strength.
Boats can be replace.

SydneyFletcher
06-12-2006, 04:40 PM
well, i didn't join this group because of boats. i did so i could post my thoughts about a close friend of mine, partially because those in this group say its the mothers fault for not watching, ann maries fault for not being careful. it wasn't anyones fault. some things in life just happen. ann marie wouldn't have been able to prove the fact she is a heroe to us all if it didn't happen, i'm not saying this is great that it happened, i'm saying there is some good out of it. i believe that if you don't know exactly what had happened, do not go and assume. it may lead to something else. and for the man about his two daughters, you can't have ways to stay safe on a kneeboard, you just have to make sure everyone is doing the right thing and not messing around.

stevo137
06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Sydney,
I can assure you that all of us here at TT are saddened when we hear about an accident such as this.
The best that we can do is offer support and try to learn from what happened.
stevo

east tx skier
06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
That's really awful. Those great days on the water can turn bad in a hurry.

well, i didn't join this group because of boats. i did so i could post my thoughts about a close friend of mine, partially because those in this group say its the mothers fault for not watching, ann maries fault for not being careful. it wasn't anyones fault. some things in life just happen. ann marie wouldn't have been able to prove the fact she is a heroe to us all if it didn't happen, i'm not saying this is great that it happened, i'm saying there is some good out of it. i believe that if you don't know exactly what had happened, do not go and assume. it may lead to something else. and for the man about his two daughters, you can't have ways to stay safe on a kneeboard, you just have to make sure everyone is doing the right thing and not messing around.

I'll iterate my original response to this unfortunate event that took place and do my best to ignore Sydney's blanket insults to "you people," a group of which I feel fortunate to be a part.

Hoosier Bob
06-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Hang out Sydney you just might like it here! No offense as you in your friends defense people sometimes over react in the face of tragedy. I thought everyone was extremely considerate and caring in their responses. Sure we would suspect the driver as he or she is the captain of the ship and all responsibility falls on their shoulders. Great to here all is well understanding the circumstances. Believe it or not there are some very intelligent people here although I am not one of them! :D

SkeezerJMH
06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
I know this thread's last post was almost 2 years ago, but it seems like some questions were left unanswered. Anne Marie is a relative of mine, and I wanted to let you all know how this accident happened.

First, there were four girls on the lake that day, chaperoned by Anne Marie's mom, Michelle. They were on Cross Lake in Shreveport for one last day before school started for the girls. They were in a 22 foot Malibu, with 2 girls being pulled on 2 kneeboards with separate ropes attached to a standard pylon. Anne Marie fell, and her mother said she felt the boat pull back harder than usual. It was an uneventful fall, and there was no slack in the rope. This was not a "slicing" injury commonly caused by rope wrapping completely around a limb, but more of a "pulling" injury. It is believed that her arm went through the handle as she fell. She remained concious the entire time, very much thanks to her mother's training as a nurse. They applied pressure to the wound, and made a tourniquet immediately as they got help.

Anne Marie and her mother are both experienced boaters and riders. I truly believe this was an unavoidable freak accident that can occur at any time when using a standard rope. Maybe the breakaway velcro ropes would have prevented it, but to my knowledge, these are not commonly used even today. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Anne Marie is still doing wonderfully. She has a prosthesis, but rarely uses it. High school is good for her, and she is now driving! Her parents really took longer to recover from this than she did!

ski_king
06-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear she is doing OK.

We need to remember to be careful out there. But even then, freak accidents can happen.

I have now heard stories where slalom skiers have been killed when their head got caught in the V of the handle when falling.

ProTour X9
06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
That truly is a scary thought....

Utahfoiler
06-01-2008, 09:53 PM
That is why we have one of these:

http://www.skyski.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23_24&products_id=94&osCsid=b7l32mqhu0vcpfe9sf3ug6br16

A friend of ours was at Lake powell and got his arm caught in the handle. His forearm muscles were torn from his elbow to his wrist. I use this for everyone that I pull and set the pressure accordingly. The great thing about this is that it has a manual release as well as the pressure release. It has a gauge to tell you how much pressure was pulled and you can then set it appropriately.

jimmer2880
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Thank you for the update. That reminds me to go search for a velcro rope