PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Gear

ktn_cmu
08-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Ok, so the boat was running fine, pulling skier, 33mph, no funny business. All of a sudden, backfire, lost power, quits. Barely restarts, spits sputters...the end. After some fiddlin', I pull the distributor to find that the pin that goes through the gear and holds the gear in position on the distributor shaft has sheared off??? Whats up with that. Why would that happen? Does that just "happen" sometimes or is there an underlying problem. The oil pump seems to spin as it should other than that I can't see why it should shear off. The engine is a 5.8 HO. Some insight would be great! Thanks.

Kyle

ktn_cmu
08-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Did anyone have any insight on this??? I was hoping somebody could say something...

JimN
08-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Call your dealer- this may be a warranty issue.

ktn_cmu
08-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the lone reply JimN. I wish but the engine is well out of warranty! (1992) However, I pressed in a new shear pin (about $0.35) reinstalled the distrubutor and retimed and so far I am good to go. I just hope it was a fluke and not another problem. I had a 78 Bronco w/a 460 that had the same trouble and found out the new oil pump I put in was spontaneously locking up, stopping the dist. and ruining a cam once and the dist. gear once before I found out it was the oil pump. I spun the oil pump to see and it seemed ok and it is running good now, but time will tell?!?!?

Thanks again.

Kyle

whitedog
08-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Kyle, check your distributor bushings. I had them go bad on an I/O I used to own. Ate 3 distrubutor gears and 1 shear pin before we figured out what was going on.

dog paw
08-30-2005, 03:01 PM
What white dog said, the bushings in the dist housing fail and tighten up shearing the pin. "Next" time it does it pull the shaft out of the housing and see how it looks

rektek
08-30-2005, 03:57 PM
The cam runs the dist and the dist runs the oil pump via sector shaft, you either have a problem with the dist internals, bearing/bushing, or the oil pump seized up, you say the oil pump turns freely ? how does the shaft look ? twisted or damaged in any way ? can you put a cordless drill on the shaft and spin the pump and watch the oil pressure gauge ? what's the oil change interval been on the engine ?

ktn_cmu
08-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Awesome...I thought for while I was being shunned...:) Thanks for all the responses.

Good ideas to look at the dist. shaft. Although it is very new (less than one year ago I put in electric igniton which included a new dist.), that does not mean that the dist isn't the problem...many people assume, as I did in this case, new means good...when in fact new means new...nothing more.

I did not pull out the oil pump drive shaft as to do that I would have to pull the oil pump. And I did not want to get that far into it. But is really something I should do as you mentioned rektek.

I change the oil usually once at the beginning of the season and once at the very end. I only put about 50 hours or so on it a year, so Ihope thats good enough. I did put it together, and it runs great, holds oil pressure and everything. I think fo now I will run it. Hopefully there is no "Next" time. :rant: :)

dog paw
08-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Man I must be the last person still running points and condenser :D

seaforth
08-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Man I must be the last person still running points and condenser :D

Nah, second to last guy, I am still running PC, I guess because so far them seem to function.

Crazy thought. How is it you can buy some old junk car like a 75 Nova or some such thing, do nothing but put gas in it, maybe oil top ups from time to time, never change a thing, and lo the thing runs and runs and runs and you think damn what up with this.

We then buy a boat with a engine that looks familar to the one you had in the ol Torino and after 30 mins everything goes pear shaped. I don't get it at all.

Don't get me wrong i love these boats but damn, we should be more like maytag repair guys with nothing to do, save that is run these things like rented mules and never give anything a thought. Is it just me?

Weird.

Brad