PDA

View Full Version : New on V Drive, need input

Latin Flyer
04-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I,ve been boating my whole life, this is my 6 boat, been everywhere on any condition, but this is the first time i have a v drive and i find myself worring about low tides all the time!
Being use to either outboard or in out, hitting ground was never a myor issue, you just trim up and that,s it. And the prop was neve pr the first to hit anyways.
I run my boat in sand bars and marginal places sometimes, so now i,m thinking all the tiem i may damage the prop or even worst the shaft!

Any comments or suggestions?

holdenh2o
04-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Change boats or don't go to those areas. What other options are there?

I went to DD and had/have the same concerns. I modified where I go and when I go. Unfortunately, its one of the downfalls to having the prop and rudder fixed under the boat.

That said, you will have a blast on your v-drive.

cwarndahl
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
My MC if my first Vdrive boat as well. after about a month of watching my depth gage i kinda learned where to go an not. no more out drives for me! tired of the high cost of fixing them. also like the prestige of having an MC even though mine is a little older. but i will never look back.

Latin Flyer
04-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys. Yes i,m very happy and not looking back at all, just wondering, but i now see i,m not the only one with the same concern at least.

nmcjr
04-07-2012, 08:13 PM
All you can do is be as careful as possible. Get a depth gauge if you don't have one, and at the end of the day if you hit, you hit--that's what insurance is for. A friend hit something hard and it was $16k in repairs, he just paid his $250 deductible.

obsessed
04-08-2012, 01:15 AM
I am also quite new to a vdrive, and the spot that I usually wakeboard has a few shallow spots that were no problem for my old outboard, but now I get quite worried and cant always get to the best spot for wakeboarding if the tide is too low.
I have made it through slowly in 3 ft of water, the rudder touched slightly, but it was only a sandy area so no dammage. What depth is the minimum recommended for an inboard? Is it different when you're on plane and when not? Ive searched for this and couldnt find it. I have a 2008 x2

AZX9
04-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Overall a d drive or v-drive will have less draft. If you are that shallow there's issues either way. You're just too dam shallow.

Duane D
04-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I am also quite new to a vdrive, and the spot that I usually wakeboard has a few shallow spots that were no problem for my old outboard, but now I get quite worried and cant always get to the best spot for wakeboarding if the tide is too low.
I have made it through slowly in 3 ft of water, the rudder touched slightly, but it was only a sandy area so no dammage. What depth is the minimum recommended for an inboard? Is it different when you're on plane and when not? Ive searched for this and couldnt find it. I have a 2008 x2

I have always wondered this too

FrankSchwab
04-09-2012, 02:17 AM
Mine hits bottom when my depth finder reads about 3 feet moving slowly. I've never hit while on plane :eek:, so I don't know how much different the required depth is (my minimum depth on a lake I know is 10 feet for planing speed). An interesting question is how much deeper the prop goes when you hit the throttle and the nose goes up - that means the stern's gotta go down.

Your mileage (and depths) may vary.

There's not much margin for error on my Maristar - the prop is definitely the first, lowest thing to hit. No skeg on the outdrive/outboard to protect it, no tracking fins amidships to hit first.