PDA

View Full Version : What's with people not taking care of their boats?

mzimme
04-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Now that I'm on my 4th boat in my short 28 years of life that I've had, I've always been amazed at how terribly people take care of their boats. When browsing craigslist or other ads, I feel like there's just so many good boats out there that just got neglected and essentially were ruined.

Things like leaving a boat out under a tree uncovered for 6 years, or "it made a funny noise so I parked it, haven't touched it since, and that was 5 years ago", etc. Granted, maintaining a boat requires money, and people can fall on hard times, but why not sell the thing if you don't use it, or if it's just rotting away? There are boats not even 10 years old that have TRASHED interiors out there, that look like they've never seen the shade one day in it's life. I mean, go buy a crappy little 40 dollar cover at wal-mart, and save the interior of that thing if nothing else.

It just blows my mind how people just let these VERY EXPENSIVE boats just sit around getting ruined. I never quite understood what it is that allows people to let that happen. Are they just lazy? Do they just not care? More money than they know what to do with? What is it with these people?

CantRepeat
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Boats? Don't you mean just about anything in life?

mzimme
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Boats? Don't you mean just about anything in life?

Yeah, I suppose it's the same thing with vehicles, and other material goods... but since we're all boat people here, I figured that's the appropriate angle to take ;)

oxberger
04-06-2012, 03:32 PM
mzimme, you hit the nail on the head with the questions. I can atest to this and I'm guilty of this. I'll admit it to my fellow MC owners. The ruin of mine started with lack of funds. I was able to get that WalMart cover for it and made sure it stayed on, but I lost my job and fell on hard times. Cover ended up ripping to shreds and the interior was already in rough shape (the plan was to redo the interior). I wasn't able to replace the cover so the interior got worse. I did take out what I could of the interior. The outside is faded and oxidized, again planned on bringing it back, but lack of funds and I could get the supplies and without a decent cover would end up going back to the bad condition. Now that I'm working again and slowly getting out of the money issues and want to restore it I will, but it'll have to be a little at a time. Since it had been sitting so long and the boat is from the east coast the trailer is in horrible shape, to the point that it can't be trailered without some possible damage either to the boat, the trailer, or the tow rig. I'm currently looking for a trailer to replace what I have (scared to pull the boat off the trailer but I may have to since funds are limited) depending on priced and where it's at or if I could use someones until I can fix mine. Mine will eventually get back to its former glory and I'm hoping its this year. I will add the engine is fine and was winterized when put away. Had a gas tank issue that I believe is fixed and needs to be put back in but after the carpet replacement (got awesome replacement carpet for free from someone whop bought it for there boat and then sold the boat forgetting they had it and just wanted the carpet gone).

scott023
04-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I don't get it either. If you can't or won't look after it, sell the darn thing.

shepherd
04-06-2012, 04:15 PM
If you have the money to buy the thing, you should be able to do what you want with it. If I want to park my boat in a chicken coop and let roosters **** all over it every day... well, it would be stupid but I may have my reasons and it's nobody's business but my own! :mad:

shepherd
04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
It's Friday. Time for a drink. :rolleyes:

But I think I'll wax the boat first.

tommcat
04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
If you have the money to buy the thing, you should be able to do what you want with it. If I want to park my boat in a chicken coop and let roosters **** all over it every day... well, it would be stupid but I may have my reasons and it's nobody's business but my own! :mad:x2, it's my boat and i'll treat is as nicely or poorly as i want. it's nobody's business what i do with it.

CantRepeat
04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
If you have the money to buy the thing, you should be able to do what you want with it. If I want to park my boat in a chicken coop and let roosters **** all over it every day... well, it would be stupid but I may have my reasons and it's nobody's business but my own! :mad:

You got roosters?

shepherd
04-06-2012, 05:22 PM
You got roosters?

Nope. I got the DTs.

mzimme
04-06-2012, 05:28 PM
x2, it's my boat and i'll treat is as nicely or poorly as i want. it's nobody's business what i do with it.

That's not really the point here... If you want to treat it like rooster ****, so be it. The question is why would you? I'm not asking whether or not someone should mind their own business, I'm asking what get's a boat owner to the breaking point of letting something they paid good money for to just sit and rot?

I think oxberger has a good case. Some might be inclined to sell the boat, however, in hard times like that.

CantRepeat
04-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Nope. I got the DTs.

Easy fix, shaken... not stirred!

CantRepeat
04-06-2012, 05:34 PM
That's not really the point here... If you want to treat it like rooster ****, so be it. The question is why would you? I'm not asking whether or not someone should mind their own business, I'm asking what get's a boat owner to the breaking point of letting something they paid good money for to just sit and rot?

I think oxberger has a good case. Some might be inclined to sell the boat, however, in hard times like that.

Yeah, you're not going to win a debate about how people treat there stuff or why they treat it the way they do.

It's mine. lol

shepherd
04-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Easy fix, shaken... not stirred!

Stirred not shaken, Mr. Bond.

MattsCraft
04-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Funny, every time I am out spiffing up my boat I think, boy if I ever by a used one, I want to buy it from me:D My purchased new '09 X2 now with 300 hours is about as clean as the day I brought her home. I don’t think you can use a boat and ever keep her perfect, but this does not mean I don’t try… I enjoy the cleaning ritual for the most part, my son now 22 is just as anal as I am when it comes to taking care of the boat, keeps his friends and everyone that gets on the boat in check etc.

With that said, it is a boat and you have to accept some wear & tear, but by no means do I ever let it sit in the rain uncovered etc. Always let it air out after an outing, wipe it down, wax a couple times a year inside & out, 303 seats and wipe seat bases several times a year… Heck, my boat was 2 seasons old and my dealer needed an X2 for the boat show, yup they put it in the show and she looked show room new!

Funny story, I was at Norris several years ago at the ramp, watched a couple take delivery of a brand new Supra. We got a deluge rain storm, so we were huddled at the Marina until it passed, after the rain, walked down the ramp and there was that brand new Supra tied up, no cover and about a foot of water sitting on the floor… Go figure, this is the type of thing that gives me nightmares about buying a used boat!!!

bturner2
04-07-2012, 08:02 AM
What I find amusing is these same idiots that thrash their boats think they're worth what one that has been taken care of is worth. From what I've seen it's not people with lack of funds that are the worst offenders. I've gone to look at cars and boats from people with plenty of cash and are very well off that have treated their possessions poorly. Trashy people are trashy people. You certainly don't have to be poor to be a dirt bag.

RustyMC
04-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Don't even get me started on this topic. The number of brand new boats I see every Spring at the dealership with cracked heads is just amazing. Dude - you shelled out $80K+ for a boat and you can't get it winterized properly? Come on....

willyt
04-07-2012, 08:31 AM
My purchased new '09 X2 now with 300 hours is about as clean as the day I brought her home.

Not about, it just is. Mattscraft could run a clinic on how to take care of a boat

trickskier
04-07-2012, 09:17 AM
It's Friday. Time for a drink. :rolleyes:

But I think I'll wax the boat first.

I'll usually have a "Cutty & H2o" while waxing my boat!!! :toast:

ahhudgins
04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I've been asked just the opposite. I always spend a few minutes checking the boat out before leaving the dock and it gets cleaned and inspected when I put it away Sunday evening. I've had another MC owner ask me "Why are you always cleaning and working on that thing?"

fskof
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I believe that if you take care of your boat or car, the boat or car will take care of you! I'm very anal with my toys but I have never broke down in any vehicle that I own. I would rather spend the 1hr in my driveway then to spend hrs looking for help on the side of the road or in the middle of the lake.

tommcat
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM

maybe someone falls on hard times but still loves their boat and doesnt want to sell it. so they let it sit until it's too late, or they finally get the cash to bring it back.
my 205 is another story. i bought my boat from a professional barefooting team that had too much money, too many boats and kids that didnt give a sh*t about the boat. blown motor, horrible gouges in the sides, paint over the gelcoat and the interior destroyed but i bought it cheap. so their careless attitude worked out for me

waterbug
04-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Lots of pride and lots of work went into designing and building my boat. I take pride in owning it, and will always treat it with the respect it deserves!!! I have a 2004 ProStar 190, and there is not a scratch, nick, or speck of dirt inside, or out. It looks brand new. What a huge compliment it is when somebody thinks it is a new boat.....

blackcreek
04-07-2012, 04:32 PM
i bought it cheap. so their careless attitude worked out for me
Six years ago I bought a 97 205 with 300 hours on it that sat out for years. The owner just did not care or did not have the money to take care of the boat. It started and ran (barely) so I took a chance and got the boat for 6 grand. Every seat looked like this..
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/blackcreek123/PICT1293.jpg
I spent 3 thousand on all new vinyl, carpet, plugs, impellers,fuel pump, relays,water pump, filters etc and got the boat running and looking good.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/blackcreek123/PICT2543.jpg
Why complain? A ragged out boat can be a very good deal if you are willing and able to put some time in on restoring it to it's former glory. A mastercraft is a very good bet for a restoration because of the hull construction being mostly rot free composites on the newer models.
People that know nothing about mastercraft think it is a newer boat when I give them a ride, not bad for 9 thousand and a winter of restoration work. I am up to 650 hours on it now and it still runs and looks great because I take care of it.

tommcat
04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
looks good, and the seat looks like mine did. it's at the upholstery shop right now getting new carpet and all vinyl. along with the new gelcoat from last year my 97 will look better than a lot of new boats for 1/10th the money.

Willski
04-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm in total agreement...I can't see letting a boat or anything go like some people do. There are some things to buy that are basically disposable, but not boats!

mikeg205
04-07-2012, 07:07 PM
9K all in...for a 97...nice find... the answer to this thread lies in this country tune... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKpQRjj_WbU&ob=av2n

blackcreek
04-07-2012, 07:59 PM
9K all in...for a 97...nice find... :)

Well it did not come with a trailer which was actually a plus for me when making a deal on the price and the boat hangs in my boat house so I don't have another trailer sitting in the yard. I used my neighbors trailer to haul it home because his ski boat also sits in a boat house. When I sell I will have to find a trailer for it or just sell to someone who lives along the river. No real plans to sell it though as kids and grand kids would kill me if I did.
Bottom line is I am smiling all the way to the bank because the previous owner did not take care of the boat.

Todd X14
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
If the financials were that bad at the time you maybe shou;d have sold the boat. Much better decision financially at the time. and not to mention for the boat. Just sayin.

Todd X14
04-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Hillbillies and boats ......hmmmmm

mzimme
04-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Well it did not come with a trailer which was actually a plus for me when making a deal on the price and the boat hangs in my boat house so I don't have another trailer sitting in the yard. I used my neighbors trailer to haul it home because his ski boat also sits in a boat house. When I sell I will have to find a trailer for it or just sell to someone who lives along the river. No real plans to sell it though as kids and grand kids would kill me if I did.
Bottom line is I am smiling all the way to the bank because the previous owner did not take care of the boat.

For some it works out well, but unlike the PO of your boat, you take care of it. I can see if someone buys a 20k dollar boat, and 30 years later it's just not their priority anymore. However, when you go out and buy a MasterCraft, or any other higher end boat, you would think those owners at least have the mindset of "I bought this because it's the best, so I'll take care of it accordingly", but that's just not the case. I couldn't imagine ever going out and buying a brand new Shelby GT500 and then just letting it sit outside day in and day out with the windows open...

tommcat
04-08-2012, 01:04 AM
i'm thinking of buying a nice mastercraft and just letting it sit outside and go to sh*t. i'll take pics every month and post them on here just to make you guys freak out

mzimme
04-08-2012, 01:15 AM
i'm thinking of buying a nice mastercraft and just letting it sit outside and go to sh*t. i'll take pics every month and post them on here just to make you guys freak out

I'm not freaking out... I just don't understand the logic behind it. I literally cannot comprehend what goes through someones head when they are just okay with letting their multi-thousand dollar investment get trashed. I work hard for what I have, I'd be pissed if it went to ****. Are other people not embedded with that same mindset? What gives?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-08-2012, 09:31 AM

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

MattsCraft
04-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Not about, it just is. Mattscraft could run a clinic on how to take care of a boat

Thanks Willy, your boat is no slouch either… In better condition than the day you bought it! A true testament for the MC quality, your vinyl is in great condition and the hours give props to the MCX strength, we can only hope the new Ilmors run as strong over the long haul.

Great day on the river yesterday, unbelievable the conditions, I have never seen such clear water in the spring.

Are the Knoxville boys going to bite on your boat?

blackcreek
04-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I work hard for what I have, I'd be pissed if it went to ****.

Are other people not embedded with that same mindset?

What gives?

Are other people not embedded with that same mindset? Yes

What gives? Some people care, some don't.

The people who really don't care are probably not hanging around here.

93Prostar190
04-08-2012, 10:29 PM

I agree .... But .... The last time I was around Matt's sweet boat, I was the one wiping and using the "hot sauce"

;)

MattsCraft
04-09-2012, 07:41 AM
I agree .... But .... The last time I was around Matt's sweet boat, I was the one wiping and using the "hot sauce"

;)

True - and what a nice job you did too:D

oxberger
04-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Are other people not embedded with that same mindset? Yes

What gives? Some people care, some don't.

The people who really don't care are probably not hanging around here.

Blackcreek, I fully agree. Don't get me wrong, the situation with my boat is not that I don't care. I care alot. It's just a lack of funds, but that's changing.

oxberger
04-09-2012, 01:31 PM
If the financials were that bad at the time you maybe shou;d have sold the boat. Much better decision financially at the time. and not to mention for the boat. Just sayin.

Todd X14, with my situation, the financials weren't so bad that it required the sale of the boat (and as it sat it wouldn't have brought much anyway). I had a really good friend tell me "If you sell it, how long before you think you'll get another? Yours is paid for and the engine runs like a scalded dog." I thought about it, I talked to my wife, we decided we'd be ok not selling it and cutting back on going out, cable, etc. Now that things are turning around (slowly), I can start bringing her back to awesomeness. Except for the gas tank issues I had, the engine is back to its former running glory. It was winterized when put up last everything now is cosmetic and thanks to the hours and hours of pouring over posts and talking to the great guys on this website, my boat will be back to better than showroom condition.

blackcreek
04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Blackcreek, I fully agree. Don't get me wrong, the situation with my boat is not that I don't care. I care alot. It's just a lack of funds, but that's changing.

I actually thought of you when I wrote the last sentence. If you are hanging around here you care about mastercraft care and feeding. Chin up, they are easy to restore when you get the boat fund moving again.

oxberger
04-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I actually thought of you when I wrote the last sentence. If you are hanging around here you care about mastercraft care and feeding. Chin up, they are easy to restore when you get the boat fund moving again.

Thanks. It's slowly coming around, but I'll get there and so will the boat. Thought I was going to get to move it into the driveway last night to get it ready to pull the trailer out from under it, but forgot the wife took the truck to work last night. She's home tonight and so is the truck. :D

ryfly161
04-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Solution to the problem, we should just start a mastercraft boat owners association and everyone that doesn't keep their boat up gets fined. If you don't pay the fine take the boat away, it works with stupid a$$ home owners associations so why not mastercrafts.