PDA

View Full Version : gel coat maintenance

bcd
04-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Just wondering what everyone does to keep their hull clean and bright. I boat on the Mississippi, and the brown water is tough to combat. My previous boat had a white hull, and it seemed that no matter what I did, I'd have to acid bath it at least once a year to get the brown stain off. The new boat is black, in hopes of it not showing the stain as bad. I have noticed that the water spots really show up on the black.

I currently use Mother's marine wax at least twice a year. On a side note, it went on white, and was impossible to tell where you had applied it on a white hull (not an issue for me anymore). After every outing, I pull the boat back to the house and wash it down with soap and water. Once it's rinsed clean, I use an automotive spray on wax as you dry.

I've seen other things out there such as Babe's and Boat Bling, and wondering if they perform better or are easier to apply/use.

I also saw some comments on other posts about Mastercraft sending a boat care gift package when you purchased a new boat. Maybe they quit doing that. I've had my boat 6 months and haven't received anything yet. I probably wouldn't have ever bought the Mastercraft branded boat care products, but a free sample might have swayed me otherwise.

JDJ_205
04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi BCD,

There are many threads that discuss how to keep the boat shiny depending on the situation. I like Babes' Boat Bright. I keep my boat on a lift all summer and spray on babes and wipe it in at the end of every weekend. It kept the boat looking pretty white last year.

east tx skier
04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
I wash mine twice per year and wax it once or twice per year. I wipe it down with a damp towel after use. That's it. Looks like new.

ntidsl
04-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I also boat on a very muddy river. I would suggest washing the boat as you swim with a microfiber rag regularly. I also suggest not using soap every weekend, you are stripping your wax. I use microfiber rags for everything, They are gentler on your finish. Try using a polish every few months as it will last longer than a wax. I really like the polish with PTEF, the mud and grime practically hose off after a long weekend. After wiping the entire boat down and hosing it off good I spray the entire boat with spray on wax and then dry it with a microfiber rag. I don't get water spots as you mention but my water is pretty soft. Washing your boat in the shade will help. There is also a product that gets great reviews called Boat Bling Hot Sauce that is supposed to be awesome for water spots. For a spray on wax I use Rat Juice weekly.

Todd X14
04-06-2012, 02:18 PM
For water spots I use white vinegar diluted with water at about 30/70 in a spray bottle. Spray on and wipe off. works better than anything on the market. Heavier mix in vinegar vs water will take off the wax but I go over with a spray wax containing carnuba..... showroom.

gts-20
04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I really like the polish with PTEF, the mud and grime practically hose off after a long weekend.

Which polish do you use? I am going to the store tomorrow pick up a polish and would like some suggestions. The wax I'm using isn't lasting very long.

MattsCraft
04-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I have tried a ton of different products including RejeX etc. I have found 100% Carnuba wax works the best. (this is actually stated in my MC manual) I use an orbital with foam bad on low speed to apply, hand wipe it off, then medium speed with the buff pad gives you a showroom shine. I wash the boat with Wash & Carnuba wax product you can get at the Auto stores, also you can get 100% carnuba wax there as well. The Boat Bling Hot Sauce is a great product for the end of day wipe down and as stated a micro fiber towel.

psychobilly
04-07-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm Gunna try "Easties Boat Rub" next time fer sure. That sounds like it works good.