PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Slider/Ramp!!!

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Check out the ramp that my son and I made. He is 16 and wore meout til we did it....some 2x4s, some 2x6s, 3 PVC pipe lengths....and 48 cans of 'Great Stuff' spray foam.....

This is a living 'redneck joke'...but it worked great...floated better than most boats.....ie Tige, Malibu, etc.... ;)

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Here he is going over it......

Leroy
08-15-2005, 12:04 PM
That looks like a jump! I love it!

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 12:09 PM
It is.....he was able to land some 360s and his buddies were able to do 180s....we even had some guys ask to hit it in a Maristar that drove by...

Maristar210
08-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Check out the ramp that my son and I made. He is 16 and wore meout til we did it....some 2x4s, some 2x6s, 3 PVC pipe lengths....and 48 cans of 'Great Stuff' spray foam.....

This is a living 'redneck joke'...but it worked great...floated better than most boats.....ie Tige, Malibu, etc.... ;)

That's what I call taking matters in your own hands. Congratulations.

It does look like it sinks as he goes over it. Any chance of fastening it onto the lake floor for stability? Man O man would he sail then. :eek:

Steve

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 12:19 PM
It is pretty deep on Center Hill in Tennessee...like 100 feet plus....we had one last week that his buddy made and we anchored it in a creek...but it took too long to fool with it....he was hitting it while it floated going about 18...we normally board at 23....I wanted to be a little cautious....we were also towing with the SeaDoo cause we could turn better...the X-Star isn't exactly Nascar material in the turns...we could add some flotation under the front....this is the 2nd design...his freind's was waaay too steep....we will keep perfecting it now that it works....he wants to try a back roll, but I may make himwait til after football season....he is his team's starting tailback....

MarkP
08-15-2005, 12:30 PM
You wake boarders crack me up. I especially like how well it blends with that beautiful Tennessee scenery, :worthy: Ö Just kidding, it doesnít really.:uglyhamme .

It sure looks like it gets the job done though!:headbang: !

bcampbe7
08-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Excellent job Rick and Son!

Maristar210
08-15-2005, 12:33 PM
It is pretty deep on Center Hill in Tennessee...like 100 feet plus....we had one last week that his buddy made and we anchored it in a creek...but it took too long to fool with it....he was hitting it while it floated going about 18...we normally board at 23....I wanted to be a little cautious....we were also towing with the SeaDoo cause we could turn better...the X-Star isn't exactly Nascar material in the turns...we could add some flotation under the front....this is the 2nd design...his freind's was waaay too steep....we will keep perfecting it now that it works....he wants to try a back roll, but I may make himwait til after football season....he is his team's starting tailback....

That's a good idea. How about sealed plastic drums under the front for more bouyancy?

Steve

MarkP
08-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I hope you know Iím just kidden around. I love projects like that..

erkoehler
08-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Looks good! I wonder how some styrofoam blocks would work under the front sections of the ramp????

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
That's a good idea. How about sealed plastic drums under the front for more bouyancy?

Steve

We looked at some plans on the internet that used the drums, but we wanted to be able to take it out/in pretty easily...since Center Hill is a corps lake, there are very few docks, so we have to store it at the lake house....it ain't pretty, but we figured that spray paint might 'eat' up the foam..... :eek:

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Looks good! I wonder how some styrofoam blocks would work under the front sections of the ramp????

The original ramp (no pictures on this laptop) used a chunk of foam, but it had to be dissassembled to move....that was too much of a pain

SD190EVO
08-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Isn't that 'Great Stuff' like $3+ per can? That would be over $150 just for spray foam... somehow the thought of walking out of Home Depot with all those cans strikes me as funny...

Looks pretty good!

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Isn't that 'Great Stuff' like $3+ per can? That would be over $150 just for spray foam... somehow the thought of walking out of Home Depot with all those cans strikes me as funny...

Looks pretty good!

Yea...that was the only major expense...the whole thing cost around 250....but the experience of hauling *** over a homemade ramp while the TWRA officer gave you a thumbs up was PRICELESS.... :friday:

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 12:55 PM

Looks pretty good!

We actually bought 24 at first and then realized that we had to up the ante...we still have 24 cans that I have to return..... :D

bcampbe7
08-15-2005, 01:01 PM
We actually bought 24 at first and then realized that we had to up the ante...we still have 24 cans that I have to return..... :D

Hope you didn't get any on ya! That stuff is sticky!

erkoehler
08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
That would have been great to see!!! I always give "discounts" to anything ski related.

X2M
08-15-2005, 01:05 PM
....it ain't pretty, but we figured that spray paint might 'eat' up the foam..... :eek:

There are spray paints that you can buy at craft shops like Michaels and Hobby Lobby that are made to not eat up the foam. They are in the floral section. If you can handle shopping that area :D you can find a big selection of colors to choose from. I have used them and they will not eat up the foam.

I like the idea and the design. As far a the look goes, whatever works. Good job!

:)

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 01:09 PM
There are spray paints that you can buy at craft shops like Michaels and Hobby Lobby that are made to not eat up the foam. They are in the floral section. If you can handle shopping that area :D you can find a big selection of colors to choose from. I have used them and they will not eat up the foam.

I like the idea and the design. As far a the look goes, whatever works. Good job!

:)

REPEAT AFTER ME.....I DON'T DO MICHEALS.....I DON'T DO MICHEALS....AND I NEVER USE FLORAL PAINTS.......OR GO IN THE FLORAL SECTION....(rapidly scratching oneself) 8p

erkoehler
08-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Thats why they invented shopping on line!!!

X2M
08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
REPEAT AFTER ME.....I DON'T DO MICHEALS.....I DON'T DO MICHEALS....AND I NEVER USE FLORAL PAINTS.......OR GO IN THE FLORAL SECTION....(rapidly scratching oneself) 8p

Ok..Ok..Take a deep breath. You are all right. Just keep breathing. 8p

Sorry. I was just trying to help. No need for panic. You don't have to go if you don't want to.

Send your wife maybe?

Cary K.
08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Duct tape tree braches etc to it and give it the camo look. Duct tape and camo, how much more manly can it get (Tim Taylor grunt, Arghh Arghh)

Maristar210
08-15-2005, 01:31 PM

Spray it on the front!!!

Steve

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Duct tape tree braches etc to it and give it the camo look. Duct tape and camo, how much more manly can it get (Tim Taylor grunt, Arghh Arghh)

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 02:10 PM
(Tim Taylor grunt, Arghh Arghh)

I love that Cary!!!!

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm just curious, but why didn't you use treated lumber? If you were going to put $250 into it why not spend a little more so it will last longer?

Leroy
08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Looks like a great potato shooter after the ski season!

Where is it on Center Hill?

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm just curious, but why didn't you use treated lumber? If you were going to put $250 into it why not spend a little more so it will last longer?

It will not stay in the water...we will take it in and out as we need it....I might paint it, but this was really a fun weekend project...not a lifetime investment...we didn't know how it would hold up, but it did pretty well....the 3 boys all made a memory and that's what this is all about anyway.....

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Looks like a great potato shooter after the ski season!

Four Seasons.....a triple potato shooter....now we're talkin'

jraben8
08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Four Seasons.....a triple potato shooter....now we're talkin'

My thoughts exactly...

Kell
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM

In my area, you can't use treated lumber to build docks due to enviornmental issues and doc builders have to use non-treated lumber when building a dock. At least this is what was represented to me.

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Wow, those docks must not last to long. However, I understand the argument.

mcprostar197
08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Thats a pretty sick slider for a home made one. I bet its a lot of fun.

lsupcar
08-15-2005, 09:56 PM
That looks crazy. Is the spray foam for flotation, personal protection, both, neither, or some other reason?

gr8smiles
08-15-2005, 10:02 PM
That looks crazy. Is the spray foam for flotation, personal protection, both, neither, or some other reason?

It is for flotation primarily, but my son added some in key areas so that we had no exposed wood....it acts as a buffer between the wood and us.... :eek3:

SteveO
08-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Get'r done. Ah nothing better than a father son bonding exercise. The ultimate bond between father and child MASTERCRAFT.

Hoosier Bob
08-15-2005, 10:43 PM
I was all over that one! That would go fast as a potato "shooter" around here! Jump for awhile then have some real fun with fire and potatos! Yee Haw! I will never forget my first tennis ball cannon! Cool ramp and keep the pics coming! Maybe the flip? :eek3: Looks like a great potato shooter after the ski season!

milkmania
08-15-2005, 10:47 PM
if you ever get the chance to work with A B Foam you'll wonder why you ever bought all the great stuff:purplaugh

we used it at a Gel-Coat manufacturer I worked for when I was stupid. we'd take one five gallon of A and mix it with a bucket of be in a open 55 gallon drum and watch the show:popcorn:

[quote]
Polyurethane foam, 2 lb density. Also known as A-B foam. Mix two equal parts of Part A and Part B and compound will expand about 25 times to form a rigid mass of foam.
http://www.fxsupply.com/poly/poly.html

peason
08-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Very cool!

JEREMY79
08-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Krylon is now making a latex spray paint. That will not eat the foam

looks good