PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Must Haves!

Hogwild
04-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm curious as to what you guys would recommend to new boat owners to make sure they buy for their boat before they take it out on the water? What are some must haves?? I'm going to be making a list and purchasing some of these items in the next few weeks....no need to put PFD's....I do know that one :D

oxberger
04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
That's a loaded question. Do you mean safety, like fire exstinguisher or fun like stripper pole?

2RLAKE
04-05-2012, 12:33 PM
... or beer

psychobilly
04-05-2012, 12:36 PM
gotta have the pole man@!!!!!!!!!
:D

Hogwild
04-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow..yeah this thread could go way off course...let me rephrase. Beer and women and toys aside, what do you think is absolutely necessary to have on the boat. Things such as an oar, backup battery, etc. I think an extinguisher is a given for most but yes these types of things...Safety and general all around good boat sense related items.

Patrick Hardy
04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm curious as to what you guys would recommend to new boat owners to make sure they buy for their boat before they take it out on the water? What are some must haves?? I'm going to be making a list and purchasing some of these items in the next few weeks....no need to put PFD's....I do know that one :D

#1-5 = A lot of patience, #6-10 = A lot lot gas Money!.:)

hood158
04-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Anchor, bumpers, dock lines, tool kit (just in case), and women

Double D
04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Here is a good thread to read. Many good things on here:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40375

Here is my list from the thread: (yes, its more that 10)

Here is my list: Geeezz, with the new extra battery and woofer in the boat, where am I going to put everything....... including the people...
(1) two-man Tube - deflated (Yes Kids)
(1) battery powered blower - for tube
(1) tow rope for tube
(3) wakeboards - to each his own
(2) wakeboard ropes - to each his own + in case you pull a Scott023 and cut one.
(3) wakeboard vests - to each his own
(3) additional "Approved" vests so were legal
(3) sets of gloves - to each his own for us who like them
(2) kneeboards - duel riders
(1) barefoot boom
(1) barefoot rope
(2) barefoot suits - size matters
(1) set of Ski's
(1) Ski Rope
(2) noodles for the afore mentioned kids
(3) huggies - 2 for beer, one for soda pop
(1) anchor
(2) fender pads
(2) tie ropes
(1) oar
(1) orange safety flag
(1) flotation device
(1) American Flag on the Light Pole!
(1) impeller
(1) set of tools
(4) Towels
(1) wipe down towel
(2) types of sun protection
(1) camera
(1) Water bowl for dog + treats
(1) iPod with cable
(1) bag of snacks
(1) 18 pack of beer (Busch Light)
(1) cooler for the afore mentioned drinks since I don't have a good built in cooler space available.
(1) waterproof bag with insurance and registration
(1) jumper cables

I'm sure I missed something....

oxberger
04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
I think this list would depend on a few factors like age and condition of boat and how long you've had the boat. When I first got mine I slowly built up an arsenal of things because it was an older boat and issues came up.

Here's a partial list:

1. first aid kit
2. all required safety equipment (don't forget the throw pillow and registration)
3. mooring requirements (rope, bumpers, anchor, etc.)
4. an oar (has come in handy more than once)
5. at least a basic tool kit (mine expanded rather quickly and kit became a rather large tool box)
6. spare spark plugs and wires (yes more than one. not only for me, but i've been able to help others)
7. spare battery and jumper cables (amazingly cranking and cranking trying to figure things out will kill a battery)
8. spare impeller
9. cooler (ice, water, maybe a snack or two, and plenty of adult beverages wether pre mixed or the pop open kind)
10. cell phone and number of someone else you can call when you break down on the other side of the lake and need a tow.

I'm sure there are a ton of other things as well like floating key fob, towels, etc. but this list may give you some ideas.

BrooksfamX2
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Here’s my short list, not including entertainment items, legally required equipment, water toys/boards and associated equipment to use them. It consists of mostly safety items and what you may need to get you back to the dock.

Assortment of USCG approved life vests
First aid kit
Cell phone
Extra boat keys
Extra tow vehicle keys
Small tool assortment
Electrical tape
Zip ties
Oil
Pocket knife
Flashlight
Spare prop & nut (and tool needed to replace prop)
Swim mask (if you need to unravel a rope from the prop or drive shaft)
Spare ballast and raw water impellers
Anchor and rope (keep you from drifting down stream in case of power failure)

There may be other specific things based on your boating location (rivers, lakes) and preference.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
A spare plug and swim mask & razor knife (to clear rope from prop when you eventually wrap one up).

Hogwild
04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
I think this list would depend on a few factors like age and condition of boat and how long you've had the boat. When I first got mine I slowly built up an arsenal of things because it was an older boat and issues came up.

Here's a partial list:

1. first aid kit
2. all required safety equipment (don't forget the throw pillow and registration)
3. mooring requirements (rope, bumpers, anchor, etc.)
4. an oar (has come in handy more than once)
5. at least a basic tool kit (mine expanded rather quickly and kit became a rather large tool box)
6. spare spark plugs and wires (yes more than one. not only for me, but i've been able to help others)
7. spare battery and jumper cables (amazingly cranking and cranking trying to figure things out will kill a battery)
8. spare impeller
9. cooler (ice, water, maybe a snack or two, and plenty of adult beverages wether pre mixed or the pop open kind)
10. cell phone and number of someone else you can call when you break down on the other side of the lake and need a tow.

I'm sure there are a ton of other things as well like floating key fob, towels, etc. but this list may give you some ideas.

Yeah the boat is a 99 so I'm sure to encounter issues along the way so these lists are very helpful.

Barefooter92
04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
spare impeller and tools to change it.
weed extraction tool (I use a small kids water cannon to clear weeds from the trans cooler)
small hand tools (pliers, screwdriver, knife, nut driver)
of course all the required DNR/USCG stuff
first aid kit

I am a short tow/long swim from any help so the major items are not on my vessel.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2012, 01:36 PM
When some of you refer to an oar, do you really mean an oar, or perhaps a paddle?

pmkkdx
04-05-2012, 01:37 PM
we have a pile of old large sized towels that we deem as "boat towels" that we toss several in the tow vehicle every time heading to the lake. as soon as you pull the boat out of the water and clear the ramp, wipe it down really good. we usually use at least 2, get one damp to take off hard water spots and a clean dry one to finish drying it off. With this method, you boat will stay very sharp all summer long. I have a friend who takes a hand spray bottle with a vinegar/water mixture that he fogs the boat with upon taking out of the lake & then towel dries which works amazingly well too in our lakes with very hard water.

not necessarily a top ten for IN the boat, but FOR the boat.

several very good ideas listed above that I have taken for granted over the years...

SkiDog
04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Here is a good thread to read. Many good things on here:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40375

Here is my list from the thread: (yes, its more that 10)

Here is my list: Geeezz, with the new extra battery and woofer in the boat, where am I going to put everything....... including the people...
(1) two-man Tube - deflated (Yes Kids)
(1) battery powered blower - for tube
(1) tow rope for tube
(3) wakeboards - to each his own
(2) wakeboard ropes - to each his own + in case you pull a Scott023 and cut one.
(3) wakeboard vests - to each his own
(3) additional "Approved" vests so were legal
(3) sets of gloves - to each his own for us who like them
(2) kneeboards - duel riders
(1) barefoot boom
(1) barefoot rope
(2) barefoot suits - size matters
(1) set of Ski's
(1) Ski Rope
(2) noodles for the afore mentioned kids
(3) huggies - 2 for beer, one for soda pop
(1) anchor
(2) fender pads
(2) tie ropes
(1) oar
(1) orange safety flag
(1) flotation device
(1) American Flag on the Light Pole!
(1) impeller
(1) set of tools
(4) Towels
(1) wipe down towel
(2) types of sun protection
(1) camera
(1) Water bowl for dog + treats
(1) iPod with cable
(1) bag of snacks
(1) 18 pack of beer (Busch Light)
(1) cooler for the afore mentioned drinks since I don't have a good built in cooler space available.
(1) waterproof bag with insurance and registration
(1) jumper cables

I'm sure I missed something....

Gonna need a bigger boat!:D

06' X-2 R8R H8R
04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
A spare plug and swim mask & razor knife (to clear rope from prop when you eventually wrap one up).

Was Going to say a GOOD pair of goggles....

oxberger
04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
When some of you refer to an oar, do you really mean an oar, or perhaps a paddle?

Smart A$$!:D In my case (oddly enough) it was an oar, but now I carry a paddle. Where in the south are you Hogwild? I'm in TN.

mzimme
04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
When I was out on my boat and it almost didnt start back up, I thought to myself "oh crap, I don't have an oar". Then I realized I had two water skis... Probably work if they had to.

Cary K.
04-05-2012, 01:52 PM

If not already mentioned, a spare tow rope and handle for when this happens.

oxberger
04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
When I was out on my boat and it almost didnt start back up, I thought to myself "oh crap, I don't have an oar". Then I realized I had two water skis... Probably work if they had to.

It used to work in my dad's old 67' 21' cuddy cabin Thunderbird. It is a HUGE PITA though. You'd do better getting in the water and swimming it back to shore. Ask me how I know?

tr6coug
04-05-2012, 01:57 PM
A roll of duct tape. That got me from the middle of the lake back to the ramp once when my J-hose blew out.

ski/hunt
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
My favorite "stumbled" onto boat acc. is a gift I was given..."Sham-Wows"... Mainly used to dry off seats when my kids are in and out constantly!! And great for wiping down at the end of the day... Absorb tons of water, smaller than a cotton towel, dry way faster, and much easier to ring out than a cotton towel!!! Every boat owner I've had on our boat has decided they were getting a set of them after seeing how great they work!!

The other thing I would be sure to have is a spare impeller and the tools to replace it... Might not be just for your boat. Help save a long weekend for a fellow camper/boater who needed one and my spare was the same!!!

cdstukey
04-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Actually, quite well, better than wakeboards. Use them tip down and their length really helps out those with a bad back. Of course you'd be suprised how easily you can swim a boat in from the bow eye or with a couple of people kicking from the platform.

LittleFuss
04-05-2012, 02:42 PM
tool bag, spare impellar, flashlight (saved me once stranded in the intercoastal canal) I carry a wind up, first aid kit, knife

had not thought of the swim mask, would have come in handy one time last season...

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Smart A$$!:D In my case (oddly enough) it was an oar, but now I carry a paddle. Where in the south are you Hogwild? I'm in TN.

I thought that perhaps on the newer boats that oarlocks were standard. Must have been optional back when they made mine, as mine didn't come with them.:confused::D:D

cdstukey
04-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I thought that perhaps on the newer boats that oarlocks were standard. Must have been optional back when they made mine, as mine didn't come with them.:confused::D:D

They're on the tower legs.:D

oxberger
04-05-2012, 03:01 PM

When I realized that any time I took the boat out it was a gamble if I'd get back using the boats power or my own I had MC do a custom job. I can sit on the dog house and row. It's quite comfortable and I work off all the adult beverages I had while trying to correct said engine issues. :D

Hogwild
04-05-2012, 03:07 PM

I'm in AR, hence the name Hogwild. I don't ride Harleys. ;)

oxberger
04-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm in AR, hence the name Hogwild. I don't ride Harleys. ;)

Too bad. I was going to say put me on your list if needed help with anything. You can still put me on the list. It'll just take me a very long time to get there. Make sure you have plenty of adult beverages ready. :D

CantRepeat
04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
The key for the boat.

psychobilly
04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
The key for the boat.

where;s the lil smiley with the light bulb going off when ya need it! 8p

wrobins1
04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Don't forget Murphy’s law.... You forget one of these items that is going to be the day you need it!!

aquaman
04-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Always have the 1-800 number for SEA TOW or Boat US.

Forget about paddling a ski boat. :)

mzimme
04-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Speaking of stripper poles... this just strengthens my case for buying a fly high pole.... Best part is the stage..err...doghouse is right there for her to stand on!

02ProstarSammyD
04-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I keep
1)small tool pouch with adj wrenches, allens, 4 in 1 screwdriver, channel locks, and a small socket set
2)plenty of preservers
3)toss pad
4)extra plug, boat key, and lanyard (Ive forgotten all 3 at some point)
5)flashlight
6)paper towels and dishsoap
7)first aid kit (electrical tape and soldering iron)
8)extra rope
9)ipod and cable
10)paddle (to hit people with)

thatsmrmastercraft
04-05-2012, 05:25 PM
The key for the boat.

That reminds me, I always keep a spare set of boat keys in my son's wakeboard gear bag. Had to use them once last year after getting to the lake while the boat keys were on the workbench.

2RLAKE
04-05-2012, 06:09 PM
We now carry a bullhorn ... Crazy as that sounds we have 1-2 incidents a year with wave runners (don't crucify me for stereotyping all PWC owners) so we now carry one ... Or an airhorn

jab
04-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Hey now, I just about got run over by a IO last weekend on the wakeskate, the bull horn would have more uses than the PWCs(which I do ride).

east tx skier
04-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm too lazy to read all of these and only add what hasn't been added.

1. First Aid kit with some of the modifications mentioned in the FAQ, i.e. duck tape and tampons for packing wet wounds.
2. Fire Extinguisher.
3. Spare Impeller.
4. Tool kit that inculdes wrench, channel locks, screw drivers and nut drivers among other things.
5. Battery jump starter with full charge.
6. Bag of cheap orange PFDs
7. Boat bumpers.
8. Q-beam light with cigarette lighter adapter.
9. Dock line and poly rope.
10. Old Ski Gloves for Guests so they don't borrow yours.
11. Sunblock
12. Cheap sunglasses
13. MP3 CD with around 180 good songs on it for those days when you forget the iPod. It should be left in the CD Deck and never removed.
14. Paddle (we just use skis and hope it doesn't come to that).
15. Bottled Water
16. Extra turn buoy, extra boat guide, shock cord, zip ties.
17. Soap for binding lube.
18. Spare boat key.

I'll think of more later.

east tx skier
04-06-2012, 12:32 AM
I haven't changed the avatar in a while. But before that, I was Yoda.

AZX9
04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
It's cool I absolutely love Willy and my favorite corner of the globe is Austin Texas.

93Prostar190
04-06-2012, 01:51 AM
I love that Eastie said a boat guide, as a ski club guy, we have munched a few in our day.

Nobody said camera to capture good pics for our swimsuit thread yet!

-V-
04-06-2012, 08:42 AM
I haven't changed the avatar in a while. But before that, I was Yoda.

you know, when i see a comment form you, because of your pic i think it is coming from an old rancher that goes skiing once in a while. ..........................so your telling me you are NOT an old rancher?

:purplaugh:purplaugh

east tx skier
04-06-2012, 12:09 PM
you know, when i see a comment form you, because of your pic i think it is coming from an old rancher that goes skiing once in a while. ..........................so your telling me you are NOT an old rancher?

:purplaugh:purplaugh

No, but I'm not getting any younger. :D This is me when I was a bit younger (2005, I think). A few more gray hairs now.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rqILXbxuDlg/T38ISLiTU7I/AAAAAAAAE6g/CTHNbIwF2pc/s650/attachment-9%255B1%255D.jpg

When I first met Ric, I shook my head. That guy doesn't look a thing like Fletch. :cool:

east tx skier
04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
It's cool I absolutely love Willy and my favorite corner of the globe is Austin Texas.

I used to change it pretty frequently. But Willie just seems to work.

I spend as much time as possible in Austin.

Heelgrad
04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
No, but I'm not getting any younger. :D This is me when I was a bit younger (2005, I think). A few more gray hairs now.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rqILXbxuDlg/T38ISLiTU7I/AAAAAAAAE6g/CTHNbIwF2pc/s650/attachment-9%255B1%255D.jpg

When I first met Ric, I shook my head. That guy doesn't look a thing like Fletch. :cool:

You still have that same boat? If so, its very nice! Hard to beat that!

barefoot
04-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Ya all are a little more prepared then I am. Here's the things I have readily available:

1. sun screen
2. bottle opener
3. 3/4 wrench for adjusting boom
4. pfd's, wetsuits, skis, etc
5. docking lines
6. music
7. ????

east tx skier
04-06-2012, 11:57 PM
You still have that same boat? If so, its very nice! Hard to beat that!

No. I sold it in 2007. It lives in Canada now.

CruisinGA
04-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Learned the hard way-

Extra screws for the raw water pump cover plate.

fskof
04-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Things I have on my boat

PORTABLE JUMP BOX (I have never used it on my boat BUT have used it many times on other boats at the launch ramp or on the water after they would party with the radio on a little to long)

FIRST AID KIT - Nothing fancy just a little plastic box with a few band aids. Its in my glove capartment

TOOL KIT- Again nothing fancy. Just a few basic tools, screw drivers, adjustable wrench, duct tape and a knife. (I had to cut fishing line from my prop once)

SUN SCREEN- (for guests that forget to bring some)

Extra Beach Towels

Extra PFD's- (You never know who you will pick up on the water and you dont want to be caught with not enough PFD's)

ANCHOR- In case you do break down you dont want to end up on the rocks

Bottle Opener- I keep it in the glove capartment

Extra Dock Line-

FLASHLIGHT-

SWIM MASK-

WHISTLE-

If you will trailer your boat to the lake make sure you have a lug wrench that will fit your trailer tires! (Nothing worse then to have a flat and not be able to remove the wheel because you dont have the correct size lug wrench!)

Hogwild, start with the basics and build onto it with your needs. Every year you will be adding or removing things from your list.